Nagy regrets benching starters during preseason. won't do it again.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Meh. Our starters not playing in the preseason isn't the reason Mitch sucked all year. Nobody complained in 2018 when we got off to a 3-1 start.
That is so revisionist. Bears lost to a weak Packers team in the opener and this board complained all about not playing starters in the pre. If you don't recall, 'brand new complex offense and they haven't even run it under game conditions with the starters'.

He better figure out how to come out of a bye running as well.

Last edited:

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Nagy uses anything people give him as an excuse.

If you ask him if the sun had an impact on his players hed say yeah it was horrible and thats why the offense dropped so many passes.

No excuses anymore.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Meh. Our starters not playing in the preseason isn't the reason Mitch sucked all year. Nobody complained in 2018 when we got off to a 3-1 start.
Thats not true. People were complaining about it a lot because the offense was rusty as hell until they unleashed on Tampa in week 4 or 5.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Nagy uses anything people give him as an excuse.

If you ask him if the sun had an impact on his players hed say yeah it was horrible and thats why the offense dropped so many passes.

No excuses anymore.
Him regretting not having players play preseason is like Trump admittedly regretting his spray tan or comb over. Sure , they are regrettable, but waaaaaay down the lists of flaws.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Him regretting not having players play preseason is like Trump admittedly regretting his spray tan or comb over. Sure , they are regrettable, but waaaaaay down the lists of flaws.

Yeah. Thank god someone else sees it.

If someone said we were going to run the ball 7 times in a game with 3 going to a wr. Id say that coach is asking for it.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
That is so revisionist. Bears lost to a weak Packers team in the opener and this board complained all about not playing starters in the pre. If you don't recall, 'brand new complex offense and they haven't even run it under game conditions with the starters'.

He better figure out how to come out of a bye running as well.

It's not revisionist. this offense never put it together in 13 games last year. The only 3 good performances were against WASH, DET twice and DAL.

The Riddler80 was right: starting them in the preseason would not have mattered. It would only have risked injury to defensive starters that we needed to keep our heads marginally at the waterline at 8-8

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Another red herring by Nagy. I am wondering if he truly believes this shit or if this is only for the sake of "narrative control" that all head coaches must use to protect their locker room psychologies.

Outside of upgrading Quinn over Floyd, I have little faith in this season being better anywhere. I am told by some that Castillo was a secret genius move that will pay off, and I do trust Foles to not miss throws at the same rate as Mitch ... but I have a bad feeling about this season.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just meatball stuff to feed the fans. He should play the starters because he has a QB competition to decide.

If he played the starters last year then Bears finish 8-8 IMO.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Also the D looked great to start both years. So are we punishing them because the O cant get their shit together or is it just the O that starts?

I would be upset if I were Mack and forced to risk injury in preseason because the O sucks. So again this logic is just meatballish to me.

The only reason the O should play is because again there is a QB competition. That is it.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's not revisionist. this offense never put it together in 13 games last year. The only 3 good performances were against WASH, DET twice and DAL.

The Riddler80 was right: starting them in the preseason would not have mattered. It would only have risked injury to defensive starters that we needed to keep our heads marginally at the waterline at 8-8
WTF are you referring to. This board complained about no starters in the preseason in 2018, just like last year and that his teams have been flat after a rest. That was the post. The rest of your rant has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Myk

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
WTF are you referring to. This board complained about no starters in the preseason in 2018, just like last year and that his teams have been flay after a rest. That was post. The rest of your rant has nothing to do with it.

Well, first, I wasn't "ranting".

Second, in 2019 which is the context of this news, the offense came out flat and always was flat outside of 3 games last year meaning that even if he started players in the preseason, and Riddler80 (who I can't seem to tag because I am unaware and too lazy to look up his bizarre capitilization system) was correct in pointing out that the preseason would not have mattered

and he is also right that far fewer people bitched in 2018 than 2019. But that's just a factor of conflicting memories - all of which doesn't matter in the face of preaseason last year meant jack shit for offensive production ... and even if you remember 2018 bitching differently than him or I, that fact firmly remains true.

Sorry if you see this post as another "rant". Hopefully, that changes over time.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
The season opener sets the tone of your season. If you go out there flat against a division opponent and lose the game, you are playing catch up and putting more pressure on the second meeting.

Coming out of the bye there are no preseason games to warm up with, so he need to figure out how that is going to get better, perhaps some of the simulated games during the off week....

Imagine if he is really successful, we end up with a bye week going to the playoffs (not likely this year), if you come out flat against anyone in the playoffs you are going to get your ass handed to you.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Well, first, I wasn't "ranting".

Second, in 2019 which is the context of his post, the offense came out flat and always was flat outside of 3 games last year meaning that even if he started players in the preseason, and Riddler80 (who I can't seem to tag because I am unaware and too lazy to look up his bizarre capitilization system) was correct in pointing out that the preseason would not have mattered and he is also right that far fewer people bitched in 2018 than 2019. But that's just a factor of conflicting memories - all of which doesn't matter in the face of preaseason last year meant jack shit for offensive production ... and even if you remember 2018 bitching differently than him or I, that fact firmly remains true.

Sorry if you see this post as another "rant". Hopefully, that changes over time.
Here's what I responded to.
How is this about 2019? I quoted the post for a fucking reason and specifically referred to the 2018 opener. If you respond to my post about one specific thing with a diatribe on a different thing, that's on you.

Obviously Mitch sucked all of last year and lots of 2018 along with the rest of the O. Who ever said they didn't? Maybe double check the thread title and what it's actually about.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Here's what I responded to.
How is this about 2019? I quoted the post for a fucking reason and specifically referred to the 2018 opener. If you respond to my post about one specific thing with a diatribe on a different thing, that's on you.

Obviously Mitch sucked all of last year and lots of 2018 along with the rest of the O. Who ever said they didn't? Maybe double check the thread title and what it's actually about.

WTF are you ranting about? I did and addressed both Riddler and you. Maybe you didn't read my post? Oh well. Whatever. You have become increasingly emotional over time. jmo of course. haha

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL at EMO when you're the one going off topic and reading shit that ain't there. That's why I called it a rant. Obviously just needed a trigger, real or imagined, to set you off on that path. Look at the length of our posts and tell me again who's more vested here. All this over me disagreeing that this board didn't complain about no starters in the 2018 preseason. Go ahead and tell me what I really meant again, LOLOL.

Bearsgonewild

Liked Posts:
By not playing starters in preseason, yes you are minimizing starter injuries, but you are also saying , we got this, we are good to go.

Last year, they were not good to go. Also I read somewhere that Mitch was very much taken aback, shocked, stunned? by the lost and that probably contributed to the funk he was in all last year.

Playing starters more in the preseason may not have had major impact on the rest of the season or would whitewash all our deficiencies, but I strongly believe it would have helped that first game. Even worse, we gave it to the Packers.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Also the D looked great to start both years. So are we punishing them because the O cant get their shit together or is it just the O that starts?

I would be upset if I were Mack and forced to risk injury in preseason because the O sucks. So again this logic is just meatballish to me.

The only reason the O should play is because again there is a QB competition. That is it.

nagy's focus is making sure the offense is ready to go, i expect all starters on offense to play.

your assuming nagy plays his starters on defense, nagy may choose to play some of the rookies who will likely get snaps this year so they can get aclimated to nfl game speed, along with some of the guys competing for roster spots like burns, roberson, shelley etc...

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
nagy's focus is making sure the offense is ready to go, i expect all starters on offense to play.

your assuming nagy plays his starters on defense, nagy may choose to play some of the rookies who will likely get snaps this year so they can get aclimated to nfl game speed, along with some of the guys competing for roster spots like burns, roberson, shelley etc...

Yeah I said the O should play. Not because of this silliness but because there is a legit QB competition.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Yeah I said the O should play. Not because of this silliness but because there is a legit QB competition.
All the starters on offense should play to get the rust out before the games count. Not because of a silly QB competition. We already know Mitch is the starter and Foles will take over before mid season if Trubisky is not playing good. If the offense falters then Mitch and Foles will too. The real QB competition will be in practice against our starting D, not some one else's third stringers.