Robert Quinn Warming up to Role in Bears Defense

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fingers crossed this signing pays huge dividends for the Defense this year....

Upon his arrival in Chicago, Bears outside linebacker Robert Quinn voiced some trepidation.

The thought of playing the left side of the 3-4 defense caused him problems about where he would line up, but a month of video meetings with defensive coaches seems to have removed some of his anxiety.

Quinn hadn't played much on the left side of the line in nine NFL seasons, and had been at end on the right side in a 4-3 almost all the time.

"Well, from what I know, the only thing that was challenging about the 3-4, if you look at my career, I've never really played the left side," Quinn had said after signing in Chicago. "So I mean, I think we’ve got a comfortable understanding that hopefully I get to stay on the right side. If we've got to flip-flop, I guess I've got to get more comfortable playing on the left."

This past week while talking with Bears reporters, Quinn said he realizes he won't be on the right side all the time regardless but now he is totally fine with it.

"Going to these little meetings, I definitely picked up the playbook," Quinn said. "You know, coach Pagano isn't really gonna change his defense for me. I've gotta fit his defense.

"As I learn where I'm gonna play and what I've gotta do, I'll just try to pick it up as best as possible."

The Bears have regularly flip-flopped edge rushers. Khalil Mack sometimes lines up on the right side, although most of the time it's on the left side.

"I ask the older guys like Khalil and even some of the younger guys who have been there, like Isaiah (Irving) and stuff, because they know the defense better than I do," Quinn said. "So anything they can teach me that can help me get up to speed, I'm gonna try and pick their ear.

"So I'm just here to do my part and help this team win, and of course, the ultimate goal is to win a Super Bowl."

Another reason Quinn is a little more at ease with his situation is the way he feels he fit in with new teammates on the Zoom conferences they had. The team ceased these at the end of the week and won't be back together until training camp.

"The personality, even through these little Zoom calls, you can tell the room or the team is full of personality," Quinn said. "As you can tell, I'm more of a quiet one, laid back, but there's a variety of different personalities, just from guys being themselves.

"But you also look at it that they take the game serious. You want to have fun, but you want to win. Winning is fun. So they kinda try to put those hand in hand. At the end of the day, from afar, not being able to be in the locker room, I think we’ve got a great group over there."

If the defense made an impression on Quinn, it worked the other way as well according to linebacker Danny Trevathan.

"I watched Quinn from afar," Trevathan said. "I know he's been going for a while. He knows what he's doing. He's a wrecking machine."

The end result, said the Bears' defensive field general, is little room for offenses to go.

"Now you've got to watch this side here, this side over here," Trevathan said. "You've got to watch the middle. You've got to watch the back end. Front seven.

"Dangerous."

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The defense could be world class this year.....I certainly expect them to be in the top 5.....The key will be health to the guys up front and the linebackers.....

The Bears will pressure the QB and that will cause offenses to go to a quicker passing game....the linebackers will be key in stopping that.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
(y) :poop:

3vFw7ax.gif

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
The defense could be world class this year.....I certainly expect them to be in the top 5.....The key will be health to the guys up front and the linebackers.....

The Bears will pressure the QB and that will cause offenses to go to a quicker passing game....the linebackers will be key in stopping that.

According to FO last year they were #8 with an injured Mack and Hicks out most of the year. They stay relatively healthy they'll be #1.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to FO last year they were #8 with an injured Mack and Hicks out most of the year. They stay relatively healthy they'll be #1.

the NFL is fickle....They may be number one but no guarantee.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
The defense has the players to be No.1. But if the offense leaves them on the field too much? It won't happen. We need a run game and a coach that will run. We don't have that. Still it will be a vicious defense to watch when rested.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They should swap sides a few times every game. Both great but different rushers. Awesome way to keep those Ts off balance and get an even more effective rush.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
starting to sound like the bears might now lose a single game this year

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
They should swap sides a few times every game. Both great but different rushers. Awesome way to keep those Ts off balance and get an even more effective rush.

Agreed. Like a good breaking ball a hitter hasnt seen with 2 strikes.

You get a 3rd and long and you let Mack come from the right side with a move the tackle hasn't seen yet he's bound to be cought off guard. My guess is you'll see the Qb just try and dump it off quick and hope his RB or checkdown can create some YAC.

Great time to run cover 1 robber with Jackson.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Is it just me or does it sound like he is crying about having to play the other side, and does it sound like Pagano has told him to suck it up buttercup, until you are better than Mack you play where the hell I tell you, maybe I am reaching :)

bullsrose

Liked Posts:
Dude signed a contract, should have warmed up to that side before signing

bullsrose

Liked Posts:
Huh? He should have signed with a team that wasn't total idiots?

He dominates from the right side. Why the hell would you ask him to switch? Mack should dominate either way.
I guess we will see how it plays out... hopefully there is not a drop off it ability from either side

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I guess we will see how it plays out... hopefully there is not a drop off it ability from either side

I totally get where you're coming from. But given Mack and Hucks will be playing shoulder to shoulder all season should excite the fan base and those two players in particular.

Goldman is a premier run stuffing nose tackle and would be complimentary to a speed rusher like Quinn. Goldman can hold the LOS in 2v1 situations and squeeze the pocket in 1v1s.

The front 4 compliments each other so well its pretty unbelievable.

Hicks though without a doubt is the straw that stirs the drink on defense. Without his versatility the defense is lacking something. He's just a very special player. Possibly going to be one of my all time favorite bears.

Bearman 43

Liked Posts:
Huh? He should have signed with a team that wasn't total idiots?

He dominates from the right side. Why the hell would you ask him to switch? Mack should dominate either way.

According to what I read, He stated that he would in fact see a lot of the right side but also see some of the left. To me it simply says that he and Mack will be doing a lot of switchy changey.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
According to what I read, He stated that he would in fact see a lot of the right side but also see some of the left. To me it simply says that he and Mack will be doing a lot of switchy changey.
I hope not. Let the dogs loose. Apex squad. Everyone coming from their best angle.