My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
106418021_3459982484048415_6000433722197486704_o.jpg

Those trying to convince themselves that the Foles signing was better than going for Cam is comical at this point.

Yup, I remember being jumped on after laughing about the foles deal because Dalton or cam weren't going to be cheaper lol. Winston, cam, and Dalton all cheaper than foles. And pace gave up a draft pick on top of the money. Hope it pays off.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I'm a little confused by this signing. The last two years he's looked broken and has a 6-10 record.

He's only going to be 31, but lets not forget he's run the ball ~1000 times. That is over and beyond the regular contact he's taken in the pocket.

In his prime he was an exceptional athlete. I have little faith that he's healthy or that he'll be able to maintain his health.

I just think there were way better options. Cam's deal is worth up to $7.5M. Dalton signed for $3M a season and with Kaep still being out despite being ~2 years older I'd argue he's got a lot more tread on the tires and life in his arm.

I also wonder what happened to their thoughts on Jarrett Stidham between yesterday and a month ago that made the Pats sign Cam? My guess they announced this news to make their new scandal to be swept under the rug. If that's the case then Kaep would have created way more of a stir.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Yup, I remember being jumped on after laughing about the foles deal because Dalton or cam weren't going to be cheaper lol. Winston, cam, and Dalton all cheaper than foles. And pace gave up a draft pick on top of the money. Hope it pays off.
Yeah, I hear you. The one thing that impacts comparing the deals is timing was probably important.

When the Bears traded for Foles the asking price for Dalton or Cam was probably higher. Both players and their agents were thinking there would have been a larger payday. Ultimately Pace saw that the 2020 team needed more options/consistency at QB and he wasn't going to wait for a cheaper option. Weather it will work or not is still to be seen.

Who's to say that on March 18th that Foles wasn't the cheapest option? We'll never know.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
His contract is $21M guaranteed

"Nick Foles signed a 3 year, $24,000,000 contract with the Chicago Bears, including a $4,000,000 signing bonus, $21,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,000,000. In 2020, Foles will earn a base salary of $4,000,000 and a signing bonus of $4,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $5,333,333 and a dead cap value of $21,000,000."

So, you have Nick for 3 years earning what is backup QB money. That deal could be a steal if he becomes your starter for 2+ seasons especially if the team is thinking they won't be retaining Mitch.

Cam's deal is less, but also is setting himself up for a big potential payday in 2021.

Dalton's deal doesn't matter because he has no soul and is terrible.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I never thought, even in his prime, that Cam was a great or even a good player. He had one nice season and that was it. Now he hasn't played in great offenses, I will give him that.

Cam Newton Career QBR: 86.1
Mitch Trubisky Career QBR: 85.8

If you look at just the last 3 years Mitch has a better QBR over that time period.
I don't mean to knit pick, but Passer Rating is different the QBR. You were referring to passer.

The reason why I mention is a QBR above 70 is considered extremely good. In Cam's MVP season his QBR was 67. By the information you provided both Cam and Mitch are franchise QBs who will go to the HOF.

Last edited:

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
"Nick Foles signed a 3 year, $24,000,000 contract with the Chicago Bears, including a $4,000,000 signing bonus, $21,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,000,000. In 2020, Foles will earn a base salary of $4,000,000 and a signing bonus of $4,000,000, while carrying a cap hit of $5,333,333 and a dead cap value of $21,000,000."

So, you have Nick for 3 years earning what is backup QB money. That deal could be a steal if he becomes your starter for 2+ seasons especially if the team is thinking they won't be retaining Mitch.

Cam's deal is less, but also is setting himself up for a big potential payday in 2021.

Dalton's deal doesn't matter because he has no soul and is terrible.

I remember the same argument was made for Mike Glennon...and at $8M/year that would make Foles the 3rd highest paid backup QB behind Alex Smith, who's deal was when he was a starter and Taysom Hill. So the $8M/year is not typical backup money. It's cheap starter money, which in the grand scheme of things is fine for his situation in Chicago. And while Cam's deal was a product of him being on the market for so long, it shows Pace may have rushed to get a QB.

If the Bears feel they could be competitive this year, than why not make a run at both Cam or Dalton who are better QB's. If they are in rebuild mode, the Foles signing was almost pointless.

I didn't hate the Foles signing, just thought Cam or Dalton would have been better targets in the offseason.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No one knows if Cam is a better QB for this system and I suspect Dalton is worse. I agree that a healthy Cam was clearly the best overall QB out there but he's may not be a good fit for Nagy and health was a consideration when the Bears needed to move with no way to verify.

Hope he plays lights out in NE and beats Brady twice next year.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Glad Cam got a deal, but there is a reason that it took this long....his biggest asset is his athleticism and ability to run if the play is not open. With his health being a question then his biggest asset to a team is also in question.

There is a very good chance that both Cam and Nick flop this season, but with the history/familiarity that Nick has with Nagy, I take that over questionable physical ability every time.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I honestly thought Dalton would have been the perfect fit for the money. Cam Newton coming off a Lisfranc injury would have been way too unreliable of a signing.

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
I know statistically they do not compare, but Cam reminds me of the boat Kordell Stewart was in years ago.

Athletic QBs who could run that when they hit 30 just fell apart. I hope Cam can avoid Stewart's fate. He will have a great opportunity in New England to do so.

Beardown34

Liked Posts:
Does Cam come to Chicago for the same price that he went to New England? I don't think so. He has a better shot of working with Belichick and getting a big pay day next year than working with the Bears offense for that price.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I know statistically they do not compare, but Cam reminds me of the boat Kordell Stewart was in years ago.

Athletic QBs who could run that when they hit 30 just fell apart. I hope Cam can avoid Stewart's fate. He will have a great opportunity in New England to do so.

Cam is just not a good fit for this system. Him in his prime was basically what you'd expect Mitch to have of developed into had he not become a bust(not exactly as good, but a scrambling dual threat QB with mediocre throwing ability). Neither of them are good fits for this system.

Would I love cam on this team for that price? Sure. Do I expect more out of foles than I do Cam? You betcha. Foles is proven in this system. This defense needed a proven emergency plan when mitch fails his final test.

Nagy has shown he has very limited ability to adjust his scheme and playcalling around the talents of players. He tries to force square pegs into round holes. Bill B. molds those holes around his players and usually gets the best out of them. Cam hopefully will find success in NE, that doesn't mean it would happen here.

FYI, guys, there are only 8 active QB's who have played over 30 games in todays NFL and have a completion percentage under 60:

Terrelle Pryor
Geno Smith
Jacoby Brissett
Brian Hoyer
Blaine Gabbert
Chad Henne
Blake Bortles
Cam Newton

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I’m not upset that we didn’t sign cam but people who are justifying it based on the fact Cam can’t stay healthy are really missing the pretty obvious irony. I think Foles is a more accurate pocket passer and who can maybe help the OL and thats the reason I think Foles was the better move than Cam. Obviously Pace overpaid though.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I’m not upset that we didn’t sign cam but people who are justifying it based on the fact Cam can’t stay healthy are really missing the pretty obvious irony. I think Foles is a more accurate pocket passer and who can maybe help the OL and thats the reason I think Foles was the better move than Cam. Obviously Pace overpaid though.

Foles is also a great passer under pressure the last few years. Cam ranges from mediocre to awful depending on the year.

With this oline, you best believe that will come into play a ton.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Nah. Major selling point was Foles’ familiarity with the O in the case of a shortened off season program. Cam also has some pretty big accuracy issues, we don’t need 2 of those QBs.

So lets be clear....I'm no Cam fan. I always thought he was to much into the endzone histrionics. And he wasn't as much a student of the game as I would've liked. He's gonna be a better student with Belichek. So with all this said.....

Where's the " big accuracy issues". He was Right around 60% comp. most of his career. 18 passing Td's from 200 vs 108 ints. 58 rushing tds, SB appearance, MVP. He was the star on "O" and never really had a top wr. And the OL was avg, at best.

1593474023879.png

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
So lets be clear....I'm no Cam fan. I always thought he was to much into the endzone histrionics. And he wasn't as much a student of the game as I would've liked. He's gonna be a better student with Belichek. So with all this said.....

Where's the " big accuracy issues". He was Right around 60% comp. most of his career. 18 passing Td's from 200 vs 108 ints. 58 rushing tds, SB appearance, MVP. He was the star on "O" and never really had a top wr. And the OL was avg, at best.

View attachment 6045
We both know completion % != accuracy. Look at Mitch’s completion %

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Glad Cam got a deal, but there is a reason that it took this long....his biggest asset is his athleticism and ability to run if the play is not open. With his health being a question then his biggest asset to a team is also in question.

There is a very good chance that both Cam and Nick flop this season, but with the history/familiarity that Nick has with Nagy, I take that over questionable physical ability every time.

I've never seen a Qb " flop" under Belicheck. In terms injury, Foles had injuries. And quite frankly, Foles hasn't done anything
since leaving Philly