Should the Redskins change their name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
it's better to leave it tha fuck alone IMO (but yes change the name)..i'm mexican and native american myself. i like your idea tho, but you know those assholes are gonna try to hard to satisfy us, which they never really did anyways.

It seems that this team shouldn't have the right to suddenly pull a 180 only when FORCED to do so after profiting from the Native Americans it has so stubbornly disrespected for so long already.
To now try to act like they care & want to give respect, so they can profit more from NAs? Nah.

I would assume an F*@$ you stance toward this team if I were a Native American. Could be just me though.

Washington red skin Potatoes. Can even keep the name. Just change the logo to a potato.

If it comes to a vote, the eyes will have it.

JUSTFINGWIN

Liked Posts:
Didn't marquette change their name from the warriors to golden eagles because it was insensitive to native americans? Not sure how your proposed change would work.
Oh Shhnap...you’re probably right. I like the alliteration of it but they would have to change their logo to something non native related. MAN...we ARE becoming way too PC and it will eventually erode away the 1st.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Fighting Illini might have to change their name too. Even if the word "Fighting" was paying homage to the Illinois students that died Fighting in WW1. The Fighting Irish could be next as well but the Irish are too drunk to give a shit. I say that as an Irishman that is currently drunk

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Believe it or not, most Americans would be more offended by that name. Besides being obscene, majority of males in U.S. don't have foreskins.

It's removed for mostly superficial reasons. All started because of Dr. Kellogg, the cereal guy, who was a medical doctor and eugenicist who advocated no racial mixing (believed that immigrants and non-whites would damage the nation's gene pool), that any sexual activity outside of trying for pregnancy was unhealthy, performed female genital mutilation (undiluted phenol to clitoris), and of course performed male circumcision without anesthetic (he cut off his own foreskin when he was 37). To keep children from diddling themselves, he recommended tying their hands, caging their genitals, sewing the foreskin shut, and electrical shock. If you're circumcised, this white supremacist nutjob was more than likely the reason. Even his famous corn flakes were designed to be an anaphrodisiac.
I don't have Dolphins or Jets either. It doesn't offend me. :)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
This is pretty much how I feel. Just make it the Warriors and call it a day. Can still keep the logo and honor Native Americans at the same time and not have to change anything really. The only other cool suggestion I saw was the Redtails, but I personally would prefer to keep the Native American motif.
I think the Native American motif is part of the issue. It would be absolutely insane to change names and decide on something not completely free of controversy.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
They should do something free of any sort stigma. And they should avoid using some sort of Redbird, like a high school team in the 90s changing.

It could just be a random name, like Washington Sharks (which I personally hate). Maybe they could also use it as an opportunity to change their hideous uniforms and colors too.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
I can go either way.

On one hand who gives a shit. It seems like the people most offended by the name are white. Even if they change the name is it going to change how crappy native american's lives are in the US?

Then on the other hand if their was a team like the Washington white skins i can see that being pretty racist.

End of the day it doesn't matter. Like some one said everything is racist now a days. Next thing you will hear is how come all the lines on the football field are white.

TrapperKarl

Liked Posts:
I'm Ojibwe (and I don't mean I have a great great grandfather who was Ojibwe. I was born and raised on a reservation). Personally, I don't care about the name of the team. Though I understand why people want it to change... I think it's blown out if proportion. People trying to make it like 100% of us are just outraged and are losing sleep over it when most of us dont give a shit. Majority of the people who are upset aren't even native.

This is like the few that want the military to stop naming their helicopters Apache, Blackhawk, Kiowa, etc.. because it's "racist." Screw that. I want the next bad ass helicopter be named the Ojibwe.

If they're going to change it... name it after a tribe from that area or something.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I think it'd be neat to change the name to the Washington Potomac. (1) it's a very important river in the region, (2) it can honor the native population who give the river it's name, and (3) if you want to vacate all references to native Americans, it can honor the Union Army of the Potomac too

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Porkchop

Liked Posts:
Redskins and Indians are racist as hell.

Blackhawks etc aren’t overtly racist. I don’t think anyone is demanding they be changed. If the people are fine with it than let it ride.

It's not covertly racist either. The Blackhawks organization has a long-standing relationship with several local Native American tribes to assure the name and logo are on good terms.

The name actually originally derives from original Hawks owner, Frederick McLaughlin, who served as a commander in the 333rd Machine Gun Battalion of the 86 Infantry Division in WWI. The nickname of that group being "Black Hawk Division".

Black Hawk is also not a broad term. He was a famous Sauk chief and a prominent figure in Illinois history.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I think it'd be neat to change the name to the Washington Potomac. (1) it's a very important river in the region, (2) it can honor the native population who give the river it's name, and (3) if you want to vacate all references to native Americans, it can honor the Union Army of the Potomac too

I don’t think I’ve ever heard a team name that wasn’t plural.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thoughts about Washington keeping their colors?? Wonder how well that would be received?
Personally, I'd like it for my team to keep the colors. Total change would kinda feel like a different team altogether. Rosters & coaches change but every team "BLEEDS _______ (whatever the F their colors are)".

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I think the Native American motif is part of the issue. It would be absolutely insane to change names and decide on something not completely free of controversy.

But it was designed with Native Americans. The name is certainly racist, but I never found anything wrong with the designs, other than Cleveland's Chief Wahoo. I think all we're doing stupid shit and still ignoring the real problem in Amerikkka.

Status
Not open for further replies.