What will Bears biggest change on Defense be?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What will Bears biggest change on defense be?

With just over three weeks until the Chicago Bears report to Halas Hall for training camp, it will be the first time since the Bears week 17 matchup against the Minnesota Vikings that defensive coordinator and his staff will have an opportunity to work with the defense.

Last season, despite injuries to key starters Akiem Hicks, Danny Trevathan, and Roquan Smith, under the guidance of Pagano, the Bears were still one of the best defenses in the NFL. Heading into 2020, with 8 of 11 starters expected to return, the expectations remain the same: Another year as one of the NFL's best.

This offseason, the Bears made some changes. Former first-round pick Leonard Floyd was released and will be replaced by Robert Quinn, the organization's biggest signing in free agency. Defensive backs Prince Amukamara and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix didn't return either. Clinton-Dix will be replaced by Tashaun Gipson, while Pagano and his staff will welcome a competition that will see four different players battle for the right to start opposite Kyle Fuller.

Of all the changes that were made, the biggest will likely be signing the 30-year-old Quinn to a five-year deal with $70M. General manager Ryan Pace had one motive in mind when it came to signing Quinn back in March: Upgrading the pass rush for Pagano. Floyd, who the Bears traded up for in the 2016 draft had just 11.5 sacks during his final three years in Chicago. Mack, would manage to tally just 8.5 in 2019 but his decline in production was more due to the absence of Hicks, compared to anything else.

Compare Floyd's production to Quinn's and it's clear that the Bears think they've got a legitimate pass-rushing duo. In 14 starts with the Dallas Cowboys last season, Quinn 11.5 sacks and 22 quarterback hits. Those two numbers alone explain why the Bears pursued him so aggressively in free agency.

Integrating Quinn into the Bears defense will be a challenge for Pagano. As a player who's traditionally played on the right of the defense his whole career, as well as being as a defensive end in a 4-3 scheme. He's reached double-digit sacks four different times in his career, lining up at right defensive end all four years.

"There'll be some adjustment for him," Pagano said. "There's some things he'll have to adapt to from a schematic standpoint but he's done a great job to this point with picking up the playbook stuff. Just his ability to rush the passer, come off the edge."

Quinn's clear ability to be dominant while playing on the right side of the defense will force Pagano into making an interesting decision, considering Mack also played on the right side of the defense in 2019. Will Quinn go back to being an outside linebacker, a position he's lined up at just once in his career?

"There's definitely some hurdles to get over but we'll do the right thing for Robert, we'll do the right thing in the entire defense to put them all in the best possible position to be successful," Pagano said.

As fired up as Pagano is, being able to add another double-digit sack machine to his defense, head coach Matt Nagy also sees the immediate impact that Quinn will have on defense.

"He’s been great. The feedback we’re getting from the coaches on who he is and how great he wants to be at his position is gonna be fun. So to see him and Khalil on opposite sides — that’s why we have him quite frankly. Robert is unique in the fact that he's had a really nice career and a lot of it has been in 4-3 type schemes, and then everybody says you talk about the nickel and the 4-2 fronts you get in nickel. For us, we just see a really smart, high-energy football player that does a really good job of getting after the quarterback."

As Pagano and Mack get ready to lead a playoff-caliber defense once again, the hope is that Quinn will return to his 2019 form and be able to form one of the NFL's best pass rushing duos that will allow for the defense to rediscover some of the magic that allowed much of the same unit to have 50 sacks back in 2018, although with a different defensive coordinator. With Quinn now lining up opposite Mack, Pagano will surely have a few tricks up his sleeve in 2020, some of which will allow for both to be in one-on-one situations at times, continuing to exploit offenses that will be scheming ways to limit the impact both can have.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think I realized Quinn was already 30.

We have an out in '22 but he could be potentially be with the Bears thru 20204. Yikes. Win now, right?

* POTENTIAL OUT: 2022, 2 YR, $30,100,000; $9,300,000 DEAD CAP

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

CHICAGO, Ill. — There are a few players on the Chicago Bears roster that are entering contract years in 2020 and are hoping to score big next offseason.

Among them is defensive end Roy Robertson-Harris, who is entering his fifth season with the team, and he's hoping to finally have that breakout season in the Windy City. Over the past three seasons, Robertson-Harris has served as a solid depth piece on the Bears front seven but hasn't really had that monster year many have envisioned him having.

Now would be the perfect time for him to do so.

Robertson-Harris is set to be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season, a year after he was a restricted free agent. He signed his tender in April of 2020 as he did not receive an offer sheet with another team. If he had received an offer, the Bears could have matched it.

Previous seasons
After joining the Bears in 2016, Robertson-Harris missed the entire season with an injury and did not accrue a season under his belt causing him to have that restricted tag going into this year. In the previous three seasons, Robertson-Harris has appeared in 44 games starting in seven of those games. He's compiled 7.5 sacks, 8 tackles for loss, 25 quarterback hits and 6 passes defensed.

His best season came in 2018 when he finished with three sacks, 11 QB hits and 3 tackles-for-loss. After that 2018 campaign, the expectations for Robertson-Harris going into 2019 were big as he was expected to take a big step and be more than just a depth piece on the line. In 15 games, Robertson-Harris had 2.5 sacks and three tackles-for-loss and led the line with 10 QB hits. While Robertson-Harris had a solid campaign, it wasn't the big step forward many expected and Chicago's struggles overall on the front seven may have overshadowed what RRH did last season.

Either way, it's clear he needs to have a productive season in 2020.

What the coaches are saying
This is obviously an unconventional offseason for every team in the league as players have had to resort to working out and training on their own. While players are set to report to camp at the end of July, it's still going to be a bit different.

Going into this season, defensive line coach Jay Rodgers is excited for Robertson-Harris and knows he needs to put together a full season.

"It’s put it together for a full season. I don’t think there … we had a conversation probably a few days ago and we had it last January on the exit meetings — the Green Bay 1 game and Minnesota 1 game were two games that really stood out to me," said Rodgers. "And how do we get that kind of production for the course of the season. Those are the things we’re working at, from a mental standpoint. It’s not a physical thing. It’s just being able to understand that you hare having production because of the work that you put in from a physical standpoint and a mental standpoint. It’s just about putting it together back to back to back to back for a full 16-game season. Those are sometimes hard things to do overnight. But I think that with expectation, you have to be able to block out — all the positive things people are saying and the negative things people are saying and just go out there and do what you do, because he’s shown the ability to perform at a high level."
Robertson-Harris got off to a great start in Week 1 vs. Green Bay but after that he never really got on a consistent roll. That's something coaches have harped on so far in his career with the Bears. Being consistent and a dominant pass rusher for this defense. Putting together that full productive season is the main goal for Robertson-Harris and it should pay off in the long run for him.

What to expect?
I think it's safe to say right now that we should expect pretty much what we have seen from Robertson-Harris from the past three years. Somewhere in between 2-5 sacks this season is the base with double-digit QB hits. Now, I'm not saying that he can't get better and take that next step but right now this is a safe bet on what to expect.

If Robertson-Harris can get better and take that next step, it will give the Bears another threat on what is already a really damn good front seven. With players like Khalil Mack, Robert Quinn, Eddie Goldman and Akiem Hicks, teams are going to have to focus in on them, leaving some opportunities for Robertson-Harris and Bilal Nichols.

Early contract prediction: With an unrestricted contract status, the Bears could work out a deal with Robertson-Harris before the season but it's unlikely at this point. Instead, they will play it out and if he improves they will give him a payday. If he does struggle and the Bears want to give him a one-year deal, he could come back on a team-friendly deal.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm interested in the Bears CB2 competition. My hope is Jaylon Johnson can step up into that role, but I also think most rookies are going to be behind the curve to start the season. Does Artie Burns start the season with Skrine staying in the NB role? Or does Skrine bump outside and Jaylon/Artie compete for the NB role?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm interested in the Bears CB2 competition. My hope is Jaylon Johnson can step up into that role, but I also think most rookies are going to be behind the curve to start the season. Does Artie Burns start the season with Skrine staying in the NB role? Or does Skrine bump outside and Jaylon/Artie compete for the NB role?

C'mon, no love for Tre Roberson?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Tre Roberson or Tolliver start week 1, but I'm hoping Jaylon Johnson steps up and takes over the position very early on.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm just gonna say it. If they can stay relatively healthy, this group could be historically good.
I dont think your wrong lol im trying too rein in the enthusiasm but honestly this is potentially one for the books

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Skrine does not get bumped outside, he has sucked playing outside in the past

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I'm just gonna say it. If they can stay relatively healthy, this group could be historically good.

And they have to get some help from the offense in the running game with time of possession and proper rest.

No unit completely stands alone in the NFL. They not only need to stay healthy but nearly every great defense has at least a decent running game to help keep the number of defensive snaps per game under control.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
As stated above, not the pass rush, not the starting LB's, and I'm even good at Safety, but who starts opposite Fuller. That's about it.

Wish the Offense was this stacked.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Without a doubt this squad healthy could be scary good, but that is on paper and does not mean crap until the strap up and show it on the field.

Hope they show up in spades, because the potential is amazing.

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I like the idea of Foles starting and being able to better help sustain drives for the Defense.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
What will Bears biggest change on defense be?

Hopefully less time/snaps on the field will be the biggest change (due to an offense performing above bottom 3rd in league averages).

*Edit: Noonthirtyjoe mentioned this above already. I agree w/ him.