***OFFICIAL*** NFL 2020 Season News Thread (COVID-19 Edition)

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
So Cutler sat out the 2nd half of the NFC Championship with a torn MCL, and it took a couple of years to live that down.

Could you imagine the backlash from this? From fans and teammates alike.

Khalil Mack, "nah I'm good." And opting out the whole sesson.

I would say "damn, youre smart" unlike all of the knob slobbers of a certain person with great power in this country that claimed its a hoax.

I won't name names as politics do not belong in Bears Board.

But @PrideisBears is exactly right in his comments. Mouthbreathing low IQ Americans are pretty prevalent, unfortunately.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Americans did what they were supposed to do, the spike would have just happened later.
The idea is no spikes other than the 1st one which was taller than it should have been. The shutdown was to catch up with cases and supplies. The point of being careful is to not overload the system which is the result of what you're promoting. Covid isn't going away in the next 6 mo. either way but fewer people have severe complications with well managed care and as treatments improve over time. You achieve that with social distancing.

Hopefully we have a formula that allows schools to open in some form as it's obvious that we can't prevent all infections but the answer is somewhere between crawling in a hole and ignoring the risk. It's not a binary issue that it seems some on the right make it. No one prefers to hide out in their home any more than necessary.

Last edited:

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Buccaneers' Bruce Arians on COVID-19 in 2020 season: Every player will 'get sick, that's for sure'

The NFL Players Association is reportedly pushing for a total elimination of 2020 preseason games, as well as a potential opt-out scenario for players in the regular season, in part because players themselves could be at a higher risk for the coronavirus amid the COVID-19 pandemic. At least one NFL head coach would likely agree with any extra precautions, with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' Bruce Arians saying Monday that he expects every single player to "get sick" during the 2020 season.

"We've got to be careful," Arians said, per the Tampa Bay Times. "The players, they're going to all get sick, that's for sure. It's just a matter of how sick they get."

This comes on the heels of NFL Network's report that the league plans to test not only players but also their families and cohabitants for COVID-19 ahead of training camp, which is still scheduled to start later this month.

At 67, Arians himself added that he'll be operating differently in 2020 because of COVID-19. As the Times noted, prior to 2019, the former Arizona Cardinals coach had not finished a full season as a head coach without at least one trip to the hospital. A three-time cancer survivor, Arians also stepped down as Cardinals coach following the 2017 campaign, despite having additional seasons under contract, because of health concerns.

"I got to be real careful," he said Monday. "I'll probably double with a mask and a (face) shield. You know, because l already had my scare out there (in Arizona) once a couple of years ago. For me personally, I've got a plan and I just have to be smart enough to stay with it."

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Steelers' T.J. Watt says players 'need some sort of acclimation period' before 2020 season

NFL players are becoming more and more vocal about what they'd like to see happen in August, as the league works to not only begin training camp on time in late July amid an ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, but also attempts to hold at least two preseason games in 2020. The problem is the latter doesn't exactly work for the NFLPA, who unanimously voted to scrap the preseasonaltogether -- in favor of using August as a ramp-up period that flows directly into the start of the regular season. With the two sides seemingly ready to lock horns over the matter, All-Pro pass rusher T.J. Watt isn't shy about his preference, the Pittsburgh Steelerspass rush ace is hoping the NFLPA gets their way.

Speaking to 93.7FM The Fan in Pittsburgh, Watt made it clear players across the league will need time to get their feet beneath them after having been forced into a virtual offseason and banned from training at team facilities since spring.

"I really don't think it's going to matter much varying from team to team", he said on 'The Fan Morning Show' with Colin Dunlap and Chris Mack, when asked about potential competitive disadvantages from lack of minicamps and the like. "I think the biggest thing is just seeing who's been prepared -- individually."

Watt's point is that while it's obvious many players have been keeping themselves as finely tuned as possible, others haven't and, no matter which side of that spectrum a player falls on, all could benefit from more prep time.

"So many other guys don't know how other people have been working out," Watt said. "I know I've been working out extremely hard and just like I do every offseason, but then I know there are also some guys out there who haven't been working out nearly as hard as they normally would. I think there definitely needs to be some sort of acclimation period where we're able to get conditioned and in the right shape to play football, because like I said, some people are working extremely hard and some guys probably aren't working as hard as they should be".

The two-time Pro Bowler is far from alone in his stance, with Carolina Panthers safety Tre Boston (among others) showing his frustration with discussions between the NFLPA and NFL as well, as the scheduled start of training camp sits just three weeks away for veterans. With "thousands of unanswered questions" still looming and the threat of an abbreviated acclimation period, or lack of one altogether, inherently increasing the potential for serious injury -- it stands to reason players would do all they can to try and ease back into football seeing as most have not taken a practice snap in 2020.

The NFL has begun pushing back against cancelling the remaining two preseason games though, setting the stage for what could be another back alley brawl with the NFLPA over the next few weeks.

dag54

Liked Posts:

The NFL has not decided how many preseason games will be played next month, or even if they will be played at all. But the league has sent a set of game-day protocols to teams — with novel coronavirus-related procedures — in case games are played.

Those provisions include recommendations for wearing masks on teams’ benches during games, social distancing measures within locker rooms, and prohibitions on postgame jersey swaps between players.
The league told teams, via an accompanying memo from the NFL Management Council, that the game-day protocols had “been finalized with the NFL Players Association.” That didn’t prevent individual players from taking to social media to question the measures.

“This is a perfect example of NFL thinking in a nutshell,” San Francisco 49ers cornerback Richard Sherman wrote on Twitter. “Players can go engage in a full contact game and do it safely. However, it is deemed unsafe for them to exchange jerseys after said game.”

Houston Texans wide receiver Randall Cobb tweeted: “This has to be a joke...” Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson wrote that the postgame protocols are “DAMN SILLY.”

The league has made plans for a two-game preseason, down from the usual four games per team, while the NFLPA is seeking to eliminate the preseason entirely. The collective bargaining agreement gives the league the right to set the length of the preseason, provided it is four games or fewer. But the NFLPA argues that playing amid the coronavirus pandemic represents a change in working conditions that makes issues such as the length of the preseason mandatory topics of bargaining.

The NFL previously sent treatment procedures to teams as part of protocols for training camps, which are scheduled to open July 28 for most teams. But details of the testing program remain under discussion between the league and union.

“The protocol governing screening and testing for 2020 Training Camp and the Preseason remains under discussion and will be distributed as soon as it is final,” the league’s memo accompanying the preseason game-day protocols said. “We will also communicate additional details concerning the structure of the preseason and preseason games when they are finalized.”
The memo said the league and union “will continue to update this Protocol as circumstances warrant and as the science evolves.”
NFLPA pushes to scrap preseason, is working with league on player opt-out guidelines
The protocols say that players and coaches will be tested under the to-be-determined program. Others with access to the bench area during a preseason game will be required to be tested 48 hours before the game, according to the protocols. The game officials must provide documentation to the league of a negative test. Those with access to the bench area also must undergo game-day screenings for symptoms and temperature checks, and are required to wear masks.

Coaches and those players who are not expected to enter games “are strongly encouraged to wear masks on the sidelines,” the protocols say. After games are completed, the two teams “are prohibited from postgame interactions within 6 feet of one another; and jersey exchanges shall be prohibited.”
Locker rooms must be sanitized and configured to allow distancing, with six feet between players while at their lockers. Players are not to share cups or water bottles. Towels are to be used once each, then discarded into a laundry pile. The footballs are to be cleaned and all shared equipment must be disinfected. Teams’ training and equipment staffs are to be provided with disinfecting wipes to use on benches and other surfaces. Cleaning solutions for players’ mouthguards are to be available on the sideline.
Teams must travel to and from the stadium on buses and must arrive at and depart from games at staggered times. The home team must stay in a hotel the night before a game. No media members are permitted in the postgame locker rooms, and on-field fan seating is prohibited.

The league has said that fan attendance at games this season will be determined on a city-by-city basis, based on applicable state and local health guidelines and restrictions. The NFL has made plans for the rows of seating closest to the field at each stadium to be closed to fans and covered; that space potentially will be used to display sponsor logos and league and team messaging.
Under the NFL’s tentative plan for a two-game preseason, each team would play one game between Aug. 20-24 and another between Aug. 27-31. Each team would play one home and one road game during the preseason, pending a resolution with the NFLPA.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Steelers' T.J. Watt says players 'need some sort of acclimation period' before 2020 season

NFL players are becoming more and more vocal about what they'd like to see happen in August, as the league works to not only begin training camp on time in late July amid an ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, but also attempts to hold at least two preseason games in 2020. The problem is the latter doesn't exactly work for the NFLPA, who unanimously voted to scrap the preseasonaltogether -- in favor of using August as a ramp-up period that flows directly into the start of the regular season. With the two sides seemingly ready to lock horns over the matter, All-Pro pass rusher T.J. Watt isn't shy about his preference, the Pittsburgh Steelerspass rush ace is hoping the NFLPA gets their way.

Speaking to 93.7FM The Fan in Pittsburgh, Watt made it clear players across the league will need time to get their feet beneath them after having been forced into a virtual offseason and banned from training at team facilities since spring.

"I really don't think it's going to matter much varying from team to team", he said on 'The Fan Morning Show' with Colin Dunlap and Chris Mack, when asked about potential competitive disadvantages from lack of minicamps and the like. "I think the biggest thing is just seeing who's been prepared -- individually."

Watt's point is that while it's obvious many players have been keeping themselves as finely tuned as possible, others haven't and, no matter which side of that spectrum a player falls on, all could benefit from more prep time.

"So many other guys don't know how other people have been working out," Watt said. "I know I've been working out extremely hard and just like I do every offseason, but then I know there are also some guys out there who haven't been working out nearly as hard as they normally would. I think there definitely needs to be some sort of acclimation period where we're able to get conditioned and in the right shape to play football, because like I said, some people are working extremely hard and some guys probably aren't working as hard as they should be".

The two-time Pro Bowler is far from alone in his stance, with Carolina Panthers safety Tre Boston (among others) showing his frustration with discussions between the NFLPA and NFL as well, as the scheduled start of training camp sits just three weeks away for veterans. With "thousands of unanswered questions" still looming and the threat of an abbreviated acclimation period, or lack of one altogether, inherently increasing the potential for serious injury -- it stands to reason players would do all they can to try and ease back into football seeing as most have not taken a practice snap in 2020.

The NFL has begun pushing back against cancelling the remaining two preseason games though, setting the stage for what could be another back alley brawl with the NFLPA over the next few weeks.
If the NFL does play, I'm not looking forward to how putrid the Bears offense is going to be the first couple of game (most likely the wholse season). I mean, it's normally pretty bad, but I think it is going to monumentally bad without proper practice/pre-season.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
If the NFL does play, I'm not looking forward to how putrid the Bears offense is going to be the first couple of game (most likely the wholse season). I mean, it's normally pretty bad, but I think it is going to monumentally bad without proper practice/pre-season.
Just when we all thought it can’t get any worse... the world will find a way to embarrass Bears fans.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Probably posted elsewhere

Big 10, ACC canceled all out of conference games

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The NFL and players are on a collision course over safety and money. They have weeks to avert disaster.

An NFL source was breaking down the league’s proposal to draw back player salaries as much as 35 percent to help manage revenue losses in 2020. Framing it as an ask that was just the tip of the iceberg, the source said it foreshadowed a coming fight that will put the NFL and players’ union into deeply dug trenches and possibly endanger the start of the season in September.

Finally, the source spelled the revenue loss and lack of a player giveback out in one sentence.

“It’s a major problem that isn’t going away,” the source told Yahoo Sports on Thursday. “One way or the other, it’s going to have to be bargained out [between the league and the union] if this is going to work.”

A major problem that isn’t going away.

This is the NFL behind the scenes right now. As the league puts forth ancillary — and somewhat nonsensical — protocols like not being able to do a postgame jersey swap, there are bigger fish to fry in the next few weeks. And the space to get this work done is shrinking to the point that it’s alarming players.

So much so, that when the NFL Players Association had an open call with membership last week, a litany of players expressed serious misgivings about the reliability of safety protocols — not to mention the swath of unanswered questions. Indianapolis Colts quarterback Philip Rivers asked what would happen if an asymptomatic player tested positive before the Super Bowl. Houston Texans defensive end J.J. Watt questioned whether the NFL had all the right protocols lined up for the open of training camp.

Suddenly, a picture emerged: With camp reporting just weeks away and COVID-19 anxiety as real as ever, NFL players appeared to be extremely uncertain about whether they were the ones taking the majority of the risks in this endeavor. Naturally, their questions have centered on whether the NFL was ready to protect them.

An agent who listened into the NFLPA call with one of his players said he heard “a lot of anxiety.”

Considering the work left to be done — and with multiple team officials who spoke to Yahoo Sports describing the upcoming training camps with some type of verbiage describing a litany of unknowns — “a lot of anxiety” makes sense. Not to mention a lot of potential for things to go sideways. Consider the considerable work left on the table before camps are slated to open on July 28.

Texans star J.J. Watt (99) questioned if the NFL has proper safety protocols ready for the 2020 season. (Photo by Don Juan Moore/Getty Images)

Bargains must be struck with NFL, NFLPA

The money — whether it’s the pay of players in 2020 or the impact on future salary caps — has to be bargained out.

The COVID-19 testing regimens have to be bargained out.

The protocols about how camps can be run on a daily basis has to be bargained out.

The safety protocols beyond testing have to be bargained out.

Equipment changes, such as mandatory face shields, have to be bargained out.

And maybe above all else, players have to be convinced the NFL has done everything possible to guarantee their safety.

That’s a lot to accomplish in less than three weeks. And it might be impossible. It might mean a late start for training camp. It might mean no preseason games. And it might lead to a delay in the regular season, something the NFL absolutely does not want, evidenced by an offseason that ran largely on time, albeit in a different form than past years.

But for 2020 to start on time, all of the aforementioned questions have to be resolved. And after they are, the NFL has to have a clear plan to keep players in the fold once an outbreak of coronavirus happens — which could have a chilling effect that causes players to pull out from the season en masse. Planning to get the season underway is only half of the effort. Keeping the season underway looms just as large. And there may not be a way to convince players that adequate measures exist for that until an outbreak happens.

Saints star Michael Thomas had a colorful reaction to ownership asking for players to put 35 percent of their 2020 salary into escrow. He tweeted: "Lol everyone will sit out and not play until they get their stuff together before we do this. ?"

Financial storm is going to hit NFL hard

There are two significant fronts of attack that the NFL and NFLPA are trying to remedy now. The first is getting everything in place to have an actual season. The second is how to deal with the unavoidable financial meteor that is heading for the NFL. The one that players believe they shouldn’t have to deal with, since they’re taking the lion’s share of infection risks by going out and slamming into each other in the name of having a season and keeping the television revenues safe and sound.

The players and union have been sending a unified message: They should be paid every single cent owed to them — with no 35 percent discount — and they should get that money with no preseason games and with teams doling out massive sums of money for testing and safety while simultaneously selling significantly fewer tickets.

That’s setting up a financial face-off that is bound to rear its head again before September. By suggesting a 35 percent reduction in salaries to help offset operating costs, the NFL has sent a clear message from the franchise owners: If we’re going to lose revenue, players should lose some salary. We should be equal partners in the loss.

One league source familiar with some of the revenue loss models spelled out why team owners feel this way, telling Yahoo Sports on Thursday that some projections suggest a revenue hit so costly that the 2021 salary cap may have to reduce by as much as $40 million per team to reflect the 2020 dip. Such a reality would be Armageddon for a multitude of teams that are already looking like they’ll be pressed against the salary cap in 2021.

“More likely than not, [the NFL] and the union would smooth it out by taking away smaller increments of money from future caps,” the source said. “It would be made up in the aggregate of five or six or 10 salary caps than all at once.”

A high ranking AFC team source confirmed this same likelihood — that a hit will be absorbed, but also spread out.

But the league source added: “That hit could be remedied if players were willing to give back some salaries now to help teams deal with costs that are going to rise and revenues that are going to shrink.”

The union has made its feelings on a lump-sum salary giveback clear. It’s not going to happen. As in, never. Instead, it will be future players who will lose out on some capital as future salary caps rise less aggressively than originally planned.

Which takes us back to the start of the dwindling days that lie ahead — and the reality that for this to work, every fundamental building block has yet to be put into place. Things that aren’t going to be resolved by issuing decrees about jersey exchanges. In the larger picture, that’s just a minuscule detail.

And unless the league and the union can get on the same page in quick fashion, none of the minuscule stuff will matter. Because there won’t be an NFL season to implement it in the first place.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
The season start issue is going to get compounded with political bickering and money...forget about safety for now...seems like it's going to be a secondary issue.

I don't see guys playing at a 35% discount, nor do I think they should. The NFL should be able to shoulder that for one season. It keeps coming up with all these mega corporations - what are they doing with all those profits year in and year out? They don't save anything? Passing this off on the players is shitty. Period.

And I gotta agree. The proposed safety protocols are silly. Wearing a mask on the sidelines? I guess it could be symbolic for the tv viewers. Perhaps get macho-guys to take it serious if they see their man-crush on the sideline wearing one. But if you're out on the field tackling each other and are going to be in the locker room together...? Practices and meeting rooms together. Social distancing for a team is kind of a joke. The quarters are too close.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
The season start issue is going to get compounded with political bickering and money...forget about safety for now...seems like it's going to be a secondary issue.

I don't see guys playing at a 35% discount, nor do I think they should. The NFL should be able to shoulder that for one season. It keeps coming up with all these mega corporations - what are they doing with all those profits year in and year out? They don't save anything? Passing this off on the players is shitty. Period.

And I gotta agree. The proposed safety protocols are silly. Wearing a mask on the sidelines? I guess it could be symbolic for the tv viewers. Perhaps get macho-guys to take it serious if they see their man-crush on the sideline wearing one. But if you're out on the field tackling each other and are going to be in the locker room together...? Practices and meeting rooms together. Social distancing for a team is kind of a joke. The quarters are too close.
Yeah I saw the NFL banned jersey swapping for this season was like why? They can tackle each other and stand in a huddle together but god forbid they swap a jersey and take a picture after the game lol

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah I saw the NFL banned jersey swapping for this season was like why? They can tackle each other and stand in a huddle together but god forbid they swap a jersey and take a picture after the game lol

Yeah, and the masks on the sidelines. I understand full face shields on the field. That makes sense.

But wearing a paper mask on the sidelines near guys you are spending hours a week in team meetings, film room, locker room, practices...etc. Especially, since a lot of those activities are indoors with air conditioning, ventilation, and fans on...I guess it's just a show of solidarity with the tv viewers...lol.

But what do I know....maybe they'll do all that stuff on Zoom.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We were told today on an SEC Conference call to prepare for a fall without all sports. Collegiate sports are essentially a coin toss at this point

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
We were told today on an SEC Conference call to prepare for a fall without all sports. Collegiate sports are essentially a coin toss at this point
It is not looking good. Also not looking good for high school football..

LetsGo34

Liked Posts:
I would say "damn, youre smart" unlike all of the knob slobbers of a certain person with great power in this country that claimed its a hoax.

I won't name names as politics do not belong in Bears Board.

But @PrideisBears is exactly right in his comments. Mouthbreathing low IQ Americans are pretty prevalent, unfortunately.
I hear ya. As soon as Fauci said masks wont help in February, I promptly bought a box of 100 n95s.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
College football is looking at starting the season in January.