How many games do you think the NFL will be able to get in?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Pertaining to COVID-19 here's what I'm thinking to the following areas:

NFL:
  • Some preseason games have been cancelled and there's no firm commitment on what preseason will look like.
  • NFLPA and NFL has had some disagreements as to what the COVID-19 protocol will end up being. NFLPA is communicating the NFL has quite a few gaps that need to be addressed.
  • NFL has communicated it will not allow/hold the supplemental draft this year, forcing college prospects to wait out their college option and flow through the regular NFL draft process.
  • Some players are ignoring the NFLPA recommendations not to meet (most recent was the OL Masters Summit), but there have also been players voicing concerns over the ability to safely play this season.
Local Markets:
  • New case numbers have jumped specifically in certain hot spots (Texas, Florida, etc...). Looking at the raw data and trying to ignore 'political spin' from both sided the trend doesn't look that good.
  • Many states are starting to make masks mandatory and starting to limit sizes of social gatherings.
  • Regional politics is making it hard to get a unified opinion and the ramp up to the November presidential election will probably continue to blur what is 'safe'.
  • Some states have been harder hit by BLM protests.
Other sports:
  • MLB is planning on proceeding, but more players are dropping out and training camp has had a few outbreaks already.
  • NBA is doing their bubble playoffs in Florida. Some players are opting out and some of the protective measures they are taking don't map over to the NFL (bubble).
  • NHL is moving ahead with their playoffs in what appears to be Edmonton and Toronto. Guidelines appear to be very strict.
  • NCAA, specifically football, has had outbreaks and it seems like it won't be happening. Many colleges are moving largely to a virtual classroom for this coming school year.

A lot to unpack there. I guess here's my question - How many games should we really expect? Maybe put down your answer and provide a bit of your reasoning.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't know, but some players will opt out if they can.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Not sure if any in preseason but all of regular season and playoffs

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
14 regular season, 1 preseason, and a normal playoff schedule.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If they do play a season, say around 12 games or more, there are going to be some seriously stupid rosters some weeks.

What happens when 3 of your starting OL and starting QB tests positive and you're fucked for 2 weeks at a min? Yikes. Gonna be a wacky year.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I’m fully expecting to watch football in 2021. I might finally paint the living room in 2020 with all my extra trine.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
I think we'll see games, but a structured season with seeding and playoffs seems unlikely. I think they will attempt to play the schedule, with some teams needing to drop out after too many playerstesting positive pre game.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Preseason may be canceled. Idt we miss one reg season game

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think the NFLPA is going to budge on no preseason games, but it will give the owners better cause to get a 17 game regular season going favoring more home games for teams that can get some fans in seats.

The condensed NFL work week and huge TV contracts makes Pro Football setup better for this better than most sports...so those 17 games certainly can happen.

That is if it does not all completely fall apart in negotiations this month...which also certainly can happen.

If they can just get the season to start, I think they can finish it with a ton of drama along the way. However, I am only 40% sure they can get it started as of today.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I'm not sure how many games will be played, but I would not be shocked to see teams play one game every two weeks, given that it can take up to two weeks for symptoms to show.

Just a thought. I'm not saying it's likely, just that I wouldn't be shocked.