A Moment of Appreciation for the McCaskeys

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Maybe you think they're cheap, maybe you think they are stuck in the past, or maybe you think they're bad business owners. And you may be right. But let's take a moment to appreciate a few things:

• Their stance on social justice was and is perhaps the best stance any NFL team has taken to date;
  • They are not parties to any corporate scheme that has ended in mass casualties or conspiracy (See Jets and Johnson and Johnson and I'm sure we could find a litany more);
  • They have not found themselves indirectly linked to paedophilia (See Saints);
  • They are not Jerry Jones, who has clearly been involved with prostitution; and
  • They are not whatever the hell is about to fully shake out with the team from Washington (aside from that calendar/prostitution cheerleader thing from a few years back). And, nothing like that would be condoned by the Bears.
Some of you may wish the "Honey Bears" would come back. I will go on record and say I do not. The purpose of cheerleading at that level is to objectify women. And that makes it harder for some people to support the team. It doesn't make it harder for anyone who misses them to watch because that's not why they were watching.

And that's really the point of this thread: Let's take a moment to appreciate the McCaskey's for what they are. They are an ownership group focused only on the Bears and a group that makes it easier for everyone to be a Bears fans. Maybe they could use some help expanding their brand, but outside of that, I don't think they get enough credit. They are trying and doing so without being assholes.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So they don't do anything but get paid? Wtf is their stance on social justice anyways?

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Maybe you think they're cheap, maybe you think they are stuck in the past, or maybe you think they're bad business owners. And you may be right. But let's take a moment to appreciate a few things:

• Their stance on social justice was and is perhaps the best stance any NFL team has taken to date;
  • They are not parties to any corporate scheme that has ended in mass casualties or conspiracy (See Jets and Johnson and Johnson and I'm sure we could find a litany more);
  • They have not found themselves indirectly linked to paedophilia (See Saints);
  • They are not Jerry Jones, who has clearly been involved with prostitution; and
  • They are not whatever the hell is about to fully shake out with the team from Washington (aside from that calendar/prostitution cheerleader thing from a few years back). And, nothing like that would be condoned by the Bears.
Some of you may wish the "Honey Bears" would come back. I will go on record and say I do not. The purpose of cheerleading at that level is to objectify women. And that makes it harder for some people to support the team. It doesn't make it harder for anyone who misses them to watch because that's not why they were watching.

And that's really the point of this thread: Let's take a moment to appreciate the McCaskey's for what they are. They are an ownership group focused only on the Bears and a group that makes it easier for everyone to be a Bears fans. Maybe they could use some help expanding their brand, but outside of that, I don't think they get enough credit. They are trying and doing so without being assholes.
McCaskeys*

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What thing possessed by the McCaskeys are we appreciating?

The McCaskey's home?

The McCaskey's business?

The McCaskey's penchant for non-football executives?
I was wondering the same thing!

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:
The only thing the fanbase can fault the McCaskey's on is their loyalty. McCaskey's are just loyal to a fault. Ted Phillips has been with the team how long now?

Ted was one of the main guys responsible for the Soldier field renovation fiasco. At present in the 3rd largest sports market in North America the Bears stadium is one of the smallest in the NFL, just poor planning and future vision.

69d04ed6-1c7e-43bf-82e0-441401813408.jpg

Last edited:

PickSix

Liked Posts:
I thought the woke judges hated all rich people because they don’t pay enough taxes. Now maybe the McCaskey’s have indeed written checks to the IRS for hundreds of millions above what they are legally required. If so, I’ll get on board with their sainthood anointment.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I don't hate the McCaskeys. In the 90s I was on them for being super cheap, but that seems to have changed direction.

They did hire Lovie Smith as like the 3rd black HC ever and stuck with him for 9 seasons. They do seem to have their players' backs - think Zach Miller.

They just completely suck at hiring GMs, who end up hiring bad coaches a lot of the time.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
I don't hate the McCaskeys. In the 90s I was on them for being super cheap, but that seems to have changed direction.

They did hire Lovie Smith as like the 3rd black HC ever and stuck with him for 9 seasons. They do seem to have their players' backs - think Zach Miller.

They just completely suck at hiring GMs, who end up hiring bad coaches a lot of the time.
They also completely fucked up with soldier field. Let’s also not forget how they disrespected Urlacher at the end. My main issue with them is they don’t know what they’re doing. This is what happens when nepotism exists.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:

Less you a Jerry Jones or Daniel Snyder, most owners are mostly hands off in day to day operations as it's just a hobby to them. Hang out in the skybox, bring their corporate buddies and chill.

The President front office guy is the key figure in handling day to day activities. Cubs fortunes changed soon as Theo Epstein came to the fold. So did the Blackhawks when Rocky hired John McDonough.

The Bears continue to give the day to day keys to bean counter Ted Phillips.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I thought the woke judges hated all rich people because they don’t pay enough taxes. Now maybe the McCaskey’s have indeed written checks to the IRS for hundreds of millions above what they are legally required. If so, I’ll get on board with their sainthood anointment.

I don't think appreciate = saint hood. I think appreciate means looking at the NFL, the owners around the league, the various scandals, and saying well, I'm glad I'm not rooting for an organization that shitty.

Also, as to the IRS, here's how taxes work. I fill out my form, and that determines how much I owe. If I owe $100,000 and think "gee whiz, I'm a good person and I wanna pay more, here's $1,000,000." Guess who's getting a check back for $900,000?

The IRS isn't a charity and they can't start suddenly receiving more money then taxes allow for.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
I don't think appreciate = saint hood. I think appreciate means looking at the NFL, the owners around the league, the various scandals, and saying well, I'm glad I'm not rooting for an organization that shitty.

Also, as to the IRS, here's how taxes work. I fill out my form, and that determines how much I owe. If I owe $100,000 and think "gee whiz, I'm a good person and I wanna pay more, here's $1,000,000." Guess who's getting a check back for $900,000?

The IRS isn't a charity and they can't start suddenly receiving more money then taxes allow for.

Trust me, I’m fully aware of tax law and how the IRS works. You are trying to pick a nit while missing the point. And that’s ok.
Regarding your stance on the HoneyBears and the cheerleaders being objectified....if you have strong feelings about that topic then I would question your support and association with this site that relies heavily on adds from Manscape and various dating web sites with barely clothed women that do just that. Be careful when voicing a stance about something when hypocrisy will always be examined.