NFL Cancels All Preseason Games

BigBill

Liked Posts:
Basically the veterans voted to protect themselves from competition from the rookies.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
With no preseason to showcase Foles on tv, I gotta think Trubisky will be named the defacto starter week one.

Trubisky can "win" a QB competition that's closed to the press with no witnesses. He always looks good to coaches in simulated games.

This is a bad scenario for Mitch because when he gets benched his career in Chicago is over. He'd been better off coming in for an injured or struggling Foles.

Now on to the real question: What week is Trubisky's career in Chicago over? Week 5??

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Basically the veterans voted to protect themselves from competition from the rookies.

Exactly this. Teams will be forced to do mandatory cuts from 90 down to 80 before training camp even starts.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
With no preseason to showcase Foles on tv, I gotta think Trubisky will be named the defacto starter week one.

Trubisky can "win" a QB competition that's closed to the press with no witnesses. He always looks good to coaches in simulated games.

This is a bad scenario for Mitch because when he gets benched his career in Chicago is over. He'd been better off coming in for an injured or struggling Foles.

Now on to the real question: What week is Trubisky's career in Chicago over? Week 5??
It ended last season. I don’t think he starts another game as a Bear, or any other team for that matter. Foles will beat him out in practice being that he knows the playbook and isn’t an idiot.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Foles will beat him out in practice being that he knows the playbook and isn’t an idiot.

Yep.

I am not sure about Ryan Pace, but I think Matt Nagy is ready to move on and won't have television cameras around to let the "competition" play out in the court of public opinion. There were a lot of reports last summer about Trubisky struggling in camp too, leading to an inconsistent offense that never really got going all year....so you know that leash is short.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im looking forward to the inevitable contradiction when people bash the hell out of Trubisky as soon as he has a couple bad plays, but gives Foles a pass all season simply because he’s not Trubisky.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The Foles we want is the guy that puts on the cape and saves the day. That does not happen when he starts. What is he making this year 7 million? Backup money.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

So much for a QB battle. Foles and Trubisky might as well just compete by playing each other in Madden. No chance you can determine who the better QB in any type of training camp, much less a reduced training camp.
I expect full pad quarters played by teams with their mates. I think the coaches can still get a decent feel for this. It's not like preseason is an absolute anyway. Teams get the QB wrong due to preseason streaks in comps etc all the time.

Reactions: DC

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Either way this organization is under a ton of pressure to get it right at QB this year.

I see a lot of ppl thinking Foles will get the nod. I've actually changed my mind and think Trubisky will start with the extremely short leash. He's going to have to produce immediately. No more 10 - 15 point games. No more punting 4 or 5 times a game.

I could see him getting benched dramatically at the half of week 3.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
This whole process seems pretty fucked.

They agreed on daily testing, which was something the NFLPA was pushing for. The NFL wanted to avoid it. It's an estimated $75MM annual cost.

There's still a lot to navigate in terms of how safe things will be. Players want certain assurances while the NFL doesn't want to commit to further expenses especially when the revenue side can easily be impacted if games are cancelled.

I haven't heard them talk much about travel safety and potential limitations on if a city doesn't want their specific team to bring in opposition.

This is all happening while rookies are scheduled to be in the building very shortly.

To me it seems like they are trying to race through these items as they pop up just so they can be up and running by week 1. It just seems like the kind of negotiations that miss important items in the process.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
This is terrible for us fans bc we won’t be able to truly see who played better foles or trubisky.

the first seven games are almost must wins and it’ll be the GM and head coaches career on the line too bc if they get off to a bad start they won’t be able to overcome it because the schedule gets much tougher after the first seven games.