Cordarrelle Patterson sees 'whole new player' in Mitchell Trubisky

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The Chicago Bears imported Nick Foles to help push Mitchell Trubisky or take his job. Either or.
According to receiver-turned-running back Cordarrelle Patterson, the move has worked thus far to make Trubisky better entering his fourth season.
"He actually looks like a whole new player this year," Patterson said Tuesday. "I see it in his eyes and everything. He's got that fire in him. That's what we need out of our quarterbacks, that competition, it brings the best out of everybody. I'm excited to see what him and Nick can do for that job."
Trubisky said he worked on his footwork this offseason to improve his anticipation and accuracy, both of which badly hindered the Bears offense last year. Having another full year in Matt Nagy's offense also helped the embattled quarterback.
"I know what is being asked of me and what I need to do," Trubisky said when told of Patterson's comments. "I think I'm just bringing a little more edge to the offense, a little more sense of urgency and I'm just trying to go out there and make great decisions and be a spark for the offense. I just think we can continue to bring great energy to practice, and be very supportive in the quarterback room. Competition or not, we need to make sure this offense is getting better, and that's all I'm trying to do, day-in and day-out.
"For (Patterson) to say that means a lot to me. I'm just trying to do my job and I feel like I've worked on my craft this offseason, so for it to show up this early, it's nice for your teammates to notice."
Coming off a poor, injury-ravaged campaign, the Bears declined Trubisky's fifth-year option and imported a potential replacement. The weight of it all pushed the quarterback in a make-or-break campaign.

"I think it's a combination of everything," he said. "Just realizing this is the last year of my contract, being hurt last year and not playing up to my own expectations, going 8-8, having a quarterback competition and just the desire to want to go out and continue to chase greatness. It's a combination of all those things.
"We're still out here trying to be great and I'm trying to bring that edge. You're playing each play like it's your last. Having that sense of urgency and trying to maximize your potential day in and day out, I think that's where that edge is coming from."
Nagy noted that while he thinks we'll see a new, improved version of Trubisky, the Bears haven't had enough field work to make a legitimate call.
"We don't have enough (practice reps) right now. I wish I could tell you we had enough, but there's just not enough with where we're at. We need to see more. I can't give you a fair statement, or opinion, with that," Nagy said, noting he does think Trubisky's decision making has improved.
Through training camp, the Bears plan to switch off days in which Trubisky and Foles will be first in the huddle for each session. Monday was Trubisky's day. Tuesday was Foles'.
As the days progress, Nagy will have more practice film to dissect and get closer to a decision on who will be his Week 1 starter. And we'll see if Patterson's insight into Trubisky's improvement is legitimized or proven a mirage.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah whatever ?

Urlacher_24

Liked Posts:

The Chicago Bears imported Nick Foles to help push Mitchell Trubisky or take his job. Either or.
According to receiver-turned-running back Cordarrelle Patterson, the move has worked thus far to make Trubisky better entering his fourth season.
"He actually looks like a whole new player this year," Patterson said Tuesday. "I see it in his eyes and everything. He's got that fire in him. That's what we need out of our quarterbacks, that competition, it brings the best out of everybody. I'm excited to see what him and Nick can do for that job."
Trubisky said he worked on his footwork this offseason to improve his anticipation and accuracy, both of which badly hindered the Bears offense last year. Having another full year in Matt Nagy's offense also helped the embattled quarterback.
"I know what is being asked of me and what I need to do," Trubisky said when told of Patterson's comments. "I think I'm just bringing a little more edge to the offense, a little more sense of urgency and I'm just trying to go out there and make great decisions and be a spark for the offense. I just think we can continue to bring great energy to practice, and be very supportive in the quarterback room. Competition or not, we need to make sure this offense is getting better, and that's all I'm trying to do, day-in and day-out.
"For (Patterson) to say that means a lot to me. I'm just trying to do my job and I feel like I've worked on my craft this offseason, so for it to show up this early, it's nice for your teammates to notice."
Coming off a poor, injury-ravaged campaign, the Bears declined Trubisky's fifth-year option and imported a potential replacement. The weight of it all pushed the quarterback in a make-or-break campaign.

"I think it's a combination of everything," he said. "Just realizing this is the last year of my contract, being hurt last year and not playing up to my own expectations, going 8-8, having a quarterback competition and just the desire to want to go out and continue to chase greatness. It's a combination of all those things.
"We're still out here trying to be great and I'm trying to bring that edge. You're playing each play like it's your last. Having that sense of urgency and trying to maximize your potential day in and day out, I think that's where that edge is coming from."
Nagy noted that while he thinks we'll see a new, improved version of Trubisky, the Bears haven't had enough field work to make a legitimate call.
"We don't have enough (practice reps) right now. I wish I could tell you we had enough, but there's just not enough with where we're at. We need to see more. I can't give you a fair statement, or opinion, with that," Nagy said, noting he does think Trubisky's decision making has improved.
Through training camp, the Bears plan to switch off days in which Trubisky and Foles will be first in the huddle for each session. Monday was Trubisky's day. Tuesday was Foles'.
As the days progress, Nagy will have more practice film to dissect and get closer to a decision on who will be his Week 1 starter. And we'll see if Patterson's insight into Trubisky's improvement is legitimized or proven a mirage.
Good to hear. Let’s hope it translates to good plays on the field.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
We all need to relax, when the first plays of the real season start, one of the two QBs will be under center, regardless of what any of us think. So let's let the Bears practice and be the best they can ans see what happens. If you hat Mitch, it means nothing. If you think Foles is a stiff, it means nothing. We as fans are needed to buy merchandise and stock the stadium when allowed. That's it. Our wishes and thoughts mean nothing. So, if we think we know what is going on behind the scenes we are just fooling ourselves. This long, long off season has everybody a bit off kilter, including me. I'm used to looking forward to the preseason games so I can watch the young players ( I remember watching Walter as a rookie and wondering why he was so highly regarded) it took a year or so for him to find his footing. I enjoy watching players develop. So this media blackout is also unsettling. Only 3-1/2 weeks to game day.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I remain cautiously optimistic that one of the two can do enough to keep us in the hunt with this defense.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We all need to relax, when the first plays of the real season start, one of the two QBs will be under center, regardless of what any of us think. So let's let the Bears practice and be the best they can ans see what happens. If you hat Mitch, it means nothing. If you think Foles is a stiff, it means nothing. We as fans are needed to buy merchandise and stock the stadium when allowed. That's it. Our wishes and thoughts mean nothing. So, if we think we know what is going on behind the scenes we are just fooling ourselves. This long, long off season has everybody a bit off kilter, including me. I'm used to looking forward to the preseason games so I can watch the young players ( I remember watching Walter as a rookie and wondering why he was so highly regarded) it took a year or so for him to find his footing. I enjoy watching players develop. So this media blackout is also unsettling. Only 3-1/2 weeks to game day.

on see one person in this thread that needs to relax

msadows

Liked Posts:
Okay, who's buying Mitch after two days of practice?

Anyone?

Nothing wrong with hoping our #2 overall pick doesn't become a lost cause.

You don't have to be noonjoethirty or whatever that scrubs name is.

I hope mitch turns it around, because...why wouldn't you? He's younger, more athletic, arguably a better leader. The guy is the perfect qb if you never saw him play a snap. lol

JUSTFINGWIN

Liked Posts:
giphy.gif

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Nagy, the most optimistic fluffer in all the NFL, was given a layup, and instead opted to say he hasn’t seen enough to make a fair opinion. That could very well be true....but Nagy ain’t on the 10 train

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I've grown tired of all the Mitch hate and am actively cheering for him to succeed! I truly feel for the guy. He has become the national punching bag for talk show hosts to rag on.

Maybe he has under-performed, but the talent is there. He just needed a spark and sense of urgency to kick it in gear. No more time for development! Its time to perform and with his back up against the wall I truly think he will find a way to put it all together!

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Jay has really taken to the playbook.

- Mike Martz

Jay has really taken to the playbook.

- Mike Tice

"Mitch is a whole new player"

- Cordarelle Patterson

"I can't stump Kmet with the playbook"

- Matt Nagy

"With all the reports out of TC and the schedule, I can easily see the Bears going 11-5"

- CCS Charlie Brown running towards the football held by Lucy. ....