End of First Half?

jts1207

Liked Posts:
Can anyone explain the thought process here? Just complete stupidity is all I can come up with.....

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can anyone explain the thought process here? Just complete stupidity is all I can come up with.....

There were in no man's land. With 1 minute left they are forced to throw the ball. By the time 3rd down came detroit could have just called a timeout regardless.

It came down to not converting and the defense falling apart.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
It all started with Cohens fair catch..There was no reason for it...Plenty of room to run..As a result, the Bears started at their 11, and as we all know, the play calling suffers when you start at the 11..Things went down hill fast after Cohens blunder..He has a habit of doing that

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
It starts with Nagy calling time outs to get the ball back with little time on the clock. Lions weren’t pinned deep in there end and it should be presumed the bears may get the ball in their own red zone, if at all.

At that point you really haven’t had any passing attack all game, and Mitch looked shaky. They should have ran the ball 3 times and played for the next halve satisfies with a tie.

Instead they go with the mind set of let’s try to drive all the way down the field. This results in Cohen going out of bounds to stop the clock. Some incomplete passes. Before you know it Detroit has the ball with their time outs.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
There were in no man's land. With 1 minute left they are forced to throw the ball. By the time 3rd down came detroit could have just called a timeout regardless.

It came down to not converting and the defense falling apart.
It all started with Cohens fair catch..There was no reason for it...Plenty of room to run..As a result, the Bears started at their 11, and as we all know, the play calling suffers when you start at the 11..Things went down hill fast after Cohens blunder..He has a habit of doing that

Which at that point you run 3 times

Quick6

Liked Posts:
I don’t get the angst with Nagy trying to drive for at least a field goal. You have about 1:11 left with 2 timeouts, why would you not try to get in field goal range, especially when the Lions have all 3 timeouts and won’t just let you run out the clock? If the bears ran the ball 3 times , punted and forced the Lions to use all their timeouts, the Lions get the ball back in probably decent field position, the bears would have been punting from around their 20. With no timeouts, you know what the lions try to do, get into files goal position. That’s what teams with decent qb’s do. If Nagy is ever too scared to try and at least try to get into field range with 2 timeouts and more than a minute left, he has the wrong quarterback, it’s not his play calling. The bears can never afford to just lay down and give away a possession, they have enough trouble scoring as it is.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
And then you complain because Nagy went conservative and didn’t even try to score...
Right! The shitstorm would have been way worse had he gone conservative.
Actually Trubisky made a good throw to Miller but he tried the ol one hander. Then i think Wims slipped just enough coming out of his break the next play (the throw still should have been better). Ill have to wait for the coaches film to be sure but that would have been a long run after catch. The playcalling was fine there.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
why wouldn’t he call a timeout for his defense late in the game?! The clock stopped his guys were tired. Make substitutions get 6 DBs on the field. I mean wtf!

you don’t want a tired Trevathan out there against a fast WR or TE.

jts1207

Liked Posts:
And then you complain because Nagy went conservative and didn’t even try to score...

Nobody complains about that. We weren't going to get in FG position at that point. Football 101

greg23

Liked Posts:
It started when he called an immediate timeout after det 3rd down play...

I wouldn't have called it as det showed earlier they would consider going for 4th and half yard so why stop the clock to let them (if anything let the clock run down to just under a min before calling timeout if you see them sending out the punt team)

Cohen then fair catches the punt vs returning 5-10 yards and taking 5-10 more seconds off the clock

At that point with 1:10 left and on your own 10 your strategy should be to first control the clock not be all in for points as det had 3 timeouts

He needed to call a first down play (draw screen in center of field) that ideally picked up a few yards but KEPT the clock moving. This prevents det from using a to as they believe your aggressive OR they do burn a timeout and you reevaluate

Instead it's a swing pass to sideways Tarik who loves nothing more than running out of bounds...which he does

At that point I'd have reevaluated and called another safe /high % play that keeps the clock moving (screen, draw, qb draw)

You know the rest.

Point is he can't manage a clock and seemingly can't adjust his critical and strategic thinking from play to play....he's gotta keep going with his initial thought process (we called timeout to try and score and despite the circumstances that followed we're sticking with that thought process)

Grape

Liked Posts:
It started when he called an immediate timeout after det 3rd down play...

I wouldn't have called it as det showed earlier they would consider going for 4th and half yard so why stop the clock to let them (if anything let the clock run down to just under a min before calling timeout if you see them sending out the punt team)

Cohen then fair catches the punt vs returning 5-10 yards and taking 5-10 more seconds off the clock

At that point with 1:10 left and on your own 10 your strategy should be to first control the clock not be all in for points as det had 3 timeouts

He needed to call a first down play (draw screen in center of field) that ideally picked up a few yards but KEPT the clock moving. This prevents det from using a to as they believe your aggressive OR they do burn a timeout and you reevaluate

Instead it's a swing pass to sideways Tarik who loves nothing more than running out of bounds...which he does

At that point I'd have reevaluated and called another safe /high % play that keeps the clock moving (screen, draw, qb draw)

You know the rest.

Point is he can't manage a clock and seemingly can't adjust his critical and strategic thinking from play to play....he's gotta keep going with his initial thought process (we called timeout to try and score and despite the circumstances that followed we're sticking with that thought process)
I think you're overcomplicating it with hindsight bias.

I admit, I had the same thought process as you, in that I wanted a play towards the center of the field to run the clock down a bit, but it's not even close to a black-and-white situation where there's a clear right and wrong. I don't think Nagy designed for the play to end up out of bounds, that was simply a poor decision on Tarik's part to go out of bounds, but again, it's not black and white and it could have helped us if we had gotten a first down on 2nd or 3rd down. I think you're also being very specific with what you would have done, and while I agree with your assessment, I don't think there's a lot of coaches in the NFL who would have done that too (I've always been amazed at how poor NFL head coaches are at game/clock management, and comparatively, I honestly think Nagy is probably one of the better ones).

On the other hand, not in a million years would I hire a coach who believes that running the ball three times in a row with over a minute on the clock and two timeouts (just because your inside the 15) is a good idea, especially since the other team had 3 timeouts to stop the clock. It seems like some posters think that was the best way to go.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I think you're overcomplicating it with hindsight bias.

I admit, I had the same thought process as you, in that I wanted a play towards the center of the field to run the clock down a bit, but it's not even close to a black-and-white situation where there's a clear right and wrong. I don't think Nagy designed for the play to end up out of bounds, that was simply a poor decision on Tarik's part to go out of bounds, but again, it's not black and white and it could have helped us if we had gotten a first down on 2nd or 3rd down. I think you're also being very specific with what you would have done, and while I agree with your assessment, I don't think there's a lot of coaches in the NFL who would have done that too (I've always been amazed at how poor NFL head coaches are at game/clock management, and comparatively, I honestly think Nagy is probably one of the better ones).

On the other hand, not in a million years would I hire a coach who believes that running the ball three times in a row with over a minute on the clock and two timeouts (just because your inside the 15) is a good idea, especially since the other team had 3 timeouts to stop the clock. It seems like some posters think that was the best way to go.

BHVWGHC is one of the best game/clock mgmt coaches in the nfl?

Clearly your drunk or have alzheimers......2 years in a row the guy has passed on moving the ball fwd with down AND time to spare in order to kick a 50 something and 44ish gw fg....and missed......both led to losses.

Guy can't in game manage his way out of a paper bag.