How was this not ruled a safety?`

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
-

his foot is clearly on the goal line, his own momentum is going backwards should have been 2 points. Oh and check out Quinn blowing up that line.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Right, which his own momentum trying to run away from Nichols was in the end zone.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
forward momentum was stopped with the ball outside the endzone

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
To me it looks like he's stepping back and trying to break away from Nichols and the ball crosses the goal line. Even 'in the grasp rule' his back foot is in the end zone and the ball is on the goal line. Look at 75 doing his best Charles Leno impersonation

Capture.PNG

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I saw the play happen in real time and I was convinced it was not a safety. I've seen this happen before in the NFL quite a bit, the ball didn't cross the line when contact was initiated.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
To me it looks like he's stepping back and trying to break away from Nichols and the ball crosses the goal line. Even 'in the grasp rule' his back foot is in the end zone and the ball is on the goal line. Look at 75 doing his best Charles Leno impersonation

View attachment 7739
Ball on the goal line = not a safety. It has to be 100% behind at the forward progress spot for it to be a safety.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
It was a damn good play that "almost" got them some points. Gotta love the way the defense has played the last couple of games!!

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
We actually benefited by it not being a safety because we got a pick on the next play and scored. If it had been a safety, we get 2 points and then they kick off and we probably go 3 and out lol.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Refs are going to give him a lot of leeway over a single "step" - for all you know he was trying to brace his fall from being sacked. With that said, they got a pretty generous spot with the ball - it shouldn't have been a safety but it should have been marked at "inches" away from goal line. Those shit refs marked the ball like 1 and a half yards out of the endzone though.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Refs are going to give him a lot of leeway over a single "step" - for all you know he was trying to brace his fall from being sacked. With that said, they got a pretty generous spot with the ball - it shouldn't have been a safety but it should have been marked at "inches" away from goal line. Those shit refs marked the ball like 1 and a half yards out of the endzone though.

Yeah re: spot I thought the same, I guess it's moot point

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
-

his foot is clearly on the goal line, his own momentum is going backwards should have been 2 points. Oh and check out Quinn blowing up that line.
Because the ball was over the goal line when his forward momentum was stopped. It's the ball, not the foot.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

View attachment 7739

It's not the job of the ref to determine where TB would have gone had he not been contacted by BN. You screenshot is way too late. Nichols contacts him at the 1 yard line that is the correct spot. The refs were horrible, but they were dead on with this spot.
1603207302972.png