Michael Lombardi: Belief around the NFL is that Pace's job is safe.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
I find this hard to believe. If Nagy gets fired then Pace will become a lame duck GM. No way will the McCaskeys extend Pace’s deal. Therefore it will be hard to find a good HC that wants to be tied to a lame duck GM.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
If you read my 2nd post, you'd notice that pace took on the worst bears team in franchise history.

Angelo took over a shit squad, but it was no where near the mess that pace took over. There was zero chance this franchise could be successful in the next few years after he took over after what emery gave him.

Judging paces record is fucking stupid, considering this team didn't have the talent required to play actual football until 2018. Newsflash, almost all that talent(outside of fuller and leno) are pace aquisitions.

Yes, thats how bad emery fucked this team.

He's 25-17 in the years that actually mattered to me. If you thought we'd do anything in 2015-2017 you are a fucking meatball. This team had zero talent, at least we have some now.
Angelo built a second group though, that 2011 team was really good until Jay got hurt, and 2010 was good too.

Pace did take over one of the worst rosters imaginable though. I did a little research a few years ago. I think only 13 players from Emery's last Bears team were in the league 2 years later. I liked him because he does what is imo the most important thing for a GM to do: high hit rate in the middle rounds. But he just has trouble identifying offense, esp QB, he gives out too many bad contracts, and trades up too much. Obviously QB and Pace are horrendous mistakes.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Nothing says mom and pop operation more than "endeared himself to the family."

I guess the family is easier to please than the fanbase. Nothing says 'endear yourself to the family' more than hiring a bust HC and trading up to draft a bust QB.

Honestly, a lot of the fans are too stupid to realize a guy who's doing a decent job.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Honestly, a lot of the fans are too stupid to realize a guy who's doing a decent job.

I'm not seeing it man. His handpicked HC just had to give up playcalling duties after dropping 4 straight. If a decent job is being done, it's surely not evident this season.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Angelo built a second group though, that 2011 team was really good until Jay got hurt, and 2010 was good too.

Pace did take over one of the worst rosters imaginable though. I did a little research a few years ago. I think only 13 players from Emery's last Bears team were in the league 2 years later. I liked him because he does what is imo the most important thing for a GM to do: high hit rate in the middle rounds. But he just has trouble identifying offense, esp QB, he gives out too many bad contracts, and trades up too much. Obviously QB and Pace are horrendous mistakes.

We don't know if he has trouble identifying offense, tbh, because he identified matt nagy as the coach he wanted to develop that offense.

We know matt is a bum, we don't know how anthony miller, monty, mooney, kmet, ridley, wims, cohen, daniels, whitehair, etc. would have all developed under a competend coaching staff.

Obviously you blame pace for hiring the wrong guy, but I think that bunch of guys has flashed more than enough to show they have talent, but nagy somehow makes all of his players worse every damn year.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I'm not seeing it man. His handpicked HC just had to give up playcalling duties after dropping 4 straight. If a decent job is being done, it's surely not evident this season.

Yea, i already said he fucked up the HC pick and the QB pick, other than that, compare his draft record versus the other gm's in the league. Hit rate on first rounders is 50%. It gets a lot lot lower(obviously) the further rounds you drop down.

FFS, he drafted more probowlers in 2017 than the patriots have since 2010, and they have 20 picks every year.

Just saying, he's had a lot of failures, but every GM fails. This isn't me 100% defending him, he could come or go at this point of the season for me. I won't blink an eye either way, he failed to address the offensive line this offseason and that doesn't sit well with me.

However, to ignore all the good he's done for this organization and only focus on the bad is stupid. He took this squad from the lowest its ever been in 100 years to at least being competitive. Do I want more? Sure. Do I think the next guy can do much better? Not sure.

I've seen the other guys, and they aren't really much better. He's the best bears GM in my lifetime, might be sad to say, but it's true. I don't trust this regime to get someone better and he has at least hit on some talent and made the right decision the majority of the time.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Pace has been the best GM this franchise has had in decades.

Like it or not.

Nagy 100% has to go.

I'm not going to throw a tantrum if pace stays, he's at least done some good. Nagy has been a complete mess tho.
You don’t know what a good Gm is. You’ve proven this.

literally a fucking idiot. Shut up

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I don't have a problem keeping Pace around. I like a lot of his draft picks. But Nagy has to go.

I think you gotta extend Pace to 2023 so he isn't a lame duck, and offer a new coach a 3 year contract. Pace gets another chance at QB and HC.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Loser franchise. They’re a1985 away from being the Detroit Lions except they’ve never had a Qb in a passing nfl

msadows

Liked Posts:
I don't have a problem keeping Pace around. I like a lot of his draft picks. But Nagy has to go.

I think you gotta extend Pace to 2023 so he isn't a lame duck, and offer a new coach a 3 year contract. Pace gets another chance at QB and HC.

He's had very good drafts outside of the first round, and he's had a solid FA record(in hindsight, that quinn signing hurts).

I don't mind keeping him, but i'd love if they redid his scouting staff. I'm not a big fan of Mark Sadowski. Thats who most of you should be shitting on, but nah.

CRM 114

Premium Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy and Pace are not getting fired. Read it and weep, meatballs.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Loser franchise. They’re a1985 away from being the Detroit Lions except they’ve never had a Qb in a passing nfl

You're an idiot. The lions have won one playoff game since 1963.

Go pound on sand, dumbshit.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
Yea, i already said he fucked up the HC pick and the QB pick, other than that, compare his draft record versus the other gm's in the league. Hit rate on first rounders is 50%. It gets a lot lot lower(obviously) the further rounds you drop down.

FFS, he drafted more probowlers in 2017 than the patriots have since 2010, and they have 20 picks every year.

Just saying, he's had a lot of failures, but every GM fails. This isn't me 100% defending him, he could come or go at this point of the season for me. I won't blink an eye either way, he failed to address the offensive line this offseason and that doesn't sit well with me.

However, to ignore all the good he's done for this organization and only focus on the bad is stupid. He took this squad from the lowest its ever been in 100 years to at least being competitive. Do I want more? Sure. Do I think the next guy can do much better? Not sure.

I've seen the other guys, and they aren't really much better. He's the best bears GM in my lifetime, might be sad to say, but it's true. I don't trust this regime to get someone better and he has at least hit on some talent and made the right decision the majority of the time.

Other than epically fucking up the head coaching and QB positions, he's been a decent GM. Those are pretty big fuck ups though.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You're an idiot. The lions have won one playoff game since 1963.

Go pound on sand, dumbshit.
You don’t have me on ignore lol

tell me again how there are no good gms in the nfl and how a Gm that built a real super bowlcontender is not as good as a guy who hasn’t won a playoff game.

Shut. The. Computer. Down. Moron.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Other than epically fucking up the head coaching and QB positions, he's been a decent GM. Those are pretty big fuck ups though.

I've said its a "3 strikes you're out" policy for me.

He fucked up the HC hire, he fucked up the qb pick, he neglected the oline when every fan knew we needed help this offseason.

Thats 3 strikes. If they fire him, I wont mind. If they keep him, I won't mind. I think he's done enough to keep him, but I also think he's done enough to fire him.

Most people on here are eternal pessimists so they only look at the bad he's done. I look at both. Still, no matter what, nagy has to go. He was a mistake.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
He's had very good drafts outside of the first round, and he's had a solid FA record(in hindsight, that quinn signing hurts).

I don't mind keeping him, but i'd love if they redid his scouting staff. I'm not a big fan of Mark Sadowski. Thats who most of you should be shitting on, but nah.
I don't know the scouting staff hah. I'll just say "yeah" to that and go along.

Even with his record in the first round, I think a lot of armchair GMs underrate how hard drafting is. A GM doesn't sit around making mock drafts in his bathrobe, based on a few brief paragraphs read online, with no consequences. They have actual skin in the game, and a deluge of information. They have to make projections based on traits and the system in place. I imagine it's like playing russian roulette with 5 bullets in your cylinder.