Chris Ballard/ Sweaty Teddy

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Was it true that Ballard wanted Sweaty T out of football operations, so that’s why did didn’t get hired?

Just Googling around for like 2 seconds, I don't see any official stories, but I will say, numerous Bears' beat reporters repeat this as fact ALL THE TIME. So if it wasn't true, I would think someone would get corrected at some point and that they wouldn't all just be reporting it as fact. I believe it.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
By the way, I've heard this idea that you ask Phillips to step down as Team President, but keep him on as your main money man. That doesn't work.

I'm reminded of a story that was told by Adam Hoge and Adam Jahns on their Athletic podcast.

In 2001, the Bears had identified a guy coming out of college that they knew beyond a shadow of a doubt was going to be an amazing NFL player, possibly a Hall of Famer. This was back before salaries for draftees were slotted. You just signed your guy to however much money you agreed on, so high draft picks made A LOT of money (Sam Bradford was the last such guy).

Mark Hatley went to Ted Phillips and asked for the money to sign this player so that Hatley could trade up in the draft and get him. Hatley knew he could get a deal done to move up, but wanted to make sure the Bears brass were willing to pony up the money.

Phillips said no, it was just too much money. The Bears stood pat at #8 and drafted David Terrell.

The guy they were after went #5 to the Chargers, was a consummate All-Pro, and made the Hall of Fame.

That guy was LaDanian Tomlinson.

All because Teddy didn't want to put aside the cash.

Don't you think the Bears would've made some major bank if they had LaDanian Tomlinson in the backfield deking out defenders week after week at Soldier?

There are plenty of other stories like this.

This is the danger of keeping Phillips on as the money man.

Point being, no, don't be the Bulls, who keep shitty people around because they have a personal relationship with the brass, or brass doesn't have the balls to kick them to the curb. Sever the relationship, cut out the cancer. That may also include the McCaskeys, although I'd settle for starting with Phillips.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Hoge and Jahns basically confirmed this last night and even called on the mccaskeys to “be bold” if they really want to right the ship.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
By the way, I've heard this idea that you ask Phillips to step down as Team President, but keep him on as your main money man. That doesn't work.

I'm reminded of a story that was told by Adam Hoge and Adam Jahns on their Athletic podcast.

In 2001, the Bears had identified a guy coming out of college that they knew beyond a shadow of a doubt was going to be an amazing NFL player, possibly a Hall of Famer. This was back before salaries for draftees were slotted. You just signed your guy to however much money you agreed on, so high draft picks made A LOT of money (Sam Bradford was the last such guy).

Mark Hatley went to Ted Phillips and asked for the money to sign this player so that Hatley could trade up in the draft and get him. Hatley knew he could get a deal done to move up, but wanted to make sure the Bears brass were willing to pony up the money.

Phillips said no, it was just too much money. The Bears stood pat at #8 and drafted David Terrell.

The guy they were after went #5 to the Chargers, was a consummate All-Pro, and made the Hall of Fame.

Don't you think the Bears would've made some major bank if they had LaDanian Tomlinson in the backfield deking out defenders week after week at Soldier?

Source?

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Can we stop with this Ballard infatuation?The guy has done better than Pace, but he hasn't won shit and does anyone think they are an actual superbowl contender? He hasn't shown he has any more ability to fix the QB or pick a coach.

Aim higher.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If this is true Bears fans need to stop going to games (when we're able to again) and stop buying team merchandise. Hurt their pockets and maybe change will actually happen. As long as they're being rewarded for mediocrity nothing will change.

They did it once when I was a kid. I can remember "TVblackouts".

Click here >>>>> #11

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Greg Gabriel has become another media stooge looking to drum up controversy and notoriety. His time as scouting director for the Bears was so long ago now its not really relevant, and its not outside the realm of possibility he's got an axe to grind with certain long-standing members of the Bears organisation.

Regardless of " he's got an axe to grind with certain long-standing members of the Bears organisation. "
Is he telling the truth??? If not what is the truth about Bear ownership and having a commitment to winning?

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Regarding Pace, Gabriel said he was told a couple of years ago by Saints coach Sean Payton that "this guy is really good. He knows what he's doing, he's a smart kid, he's a fast riser and he's going to make a name for himself in the business."

-Chicago Tribune.... Jan 08, 2015
excerpt from........"Greg Gabriel

Pace made a name for himself alright, his 1st rnd 2017 QB pick will go down in history as one of the worst decisions. Especially when you put context around it.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
"Former Bears director of college scouting Greg Gabriel said Thursday that Ballard, the assumed front-runner, may have been perceived as being too close to the franchise."

"Chris may have scared them a little bit. Chris knows the problems that are within the organization and had ideas on how to clean them up, and I'm hearing that they didn't necessarily like hearing that."
Former Bears director of college scouting Greg Gabriel said Thursday that Ballard, the assumed front-runner, may have been perceived as being too close to the franchise.

"Chris worked here in Chicago a number of years, so he's obviously got an opinion of how things are done," Gabriel said. "Not necessarily talking about the structure of the roster, but just the organization as a whole. Chris has a very strong mindset. If he wasn't going to have things exactly the way he wanted them, he's not going to put himself in a situation where he's going to fall. He doesn't want to go into a situation and be like Phil Emery and two years later be fired."

Gabriel added that Ballard "probably wasn't offered the job."

Regarding Pace, Gabriel said he was told a couple of years ago by Saints coach Sean Payton that "this guy is really good. He knows what he's doing, he's a smart kid, he's a fast riser and he's going to make a name for himself in the business."

-Chicago Tribune.... Jan 08, 2015
excerpt from........"Greg Gabriel: Chris Ballard 'may have scared' Bears in interview "

Pace made a name for himself alright, his 1st rnd 2017 QB pick will go down in history as one of the worst decisions. Especially when you put context around it.

.....and the choir says amen (y)

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Was it true that Ballard wanted Sweaty T out of football operations, so that’s why did didn’t get hired?
yes!!!! 100% true

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
It is not true. Nobody goes into an interview and makes all sorts of demands from their soon-to-be boss. If Ballard really had that kind of attitude the Colts wouldn't have hired him. Nobody would have.
bullshit. If you're elite and wanted like he was, you can make demands.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lol at trusting bitter ex-Bear Greg Gabriel. This is the same guy that just say Kmet was like Zach Ertz and who lost and threatened people on social media.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We'd be better off but here's the thing. Ballard also wanted Nagy and almost hired McDaniels. His Reich hire had a bit of desperation to it. It just happened to work out.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

Point being, no, don't be the Bulls, who keep shitty people around because they have a personal relationship with the brass, or brass doesn't have the balls to kick them to the curb. Sever the relationship, cut out the cancer. That may also include the McCaskeys, although I'd settle for starting with Phillips.
Too bad Phillips allowed pace to sign all those bad contracts for big money. Seems money isn’t the issue anymore when it comes to players. It’s just terrible front office and coaching moves made by football stupid people

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
We'd be better off but here's the thing. Ballard also wanted Nagy and almost hired McDaniels. His Reich hire had a bit of desperation to it. It just happened to work out.
This has been my point about Ballard. If Nagy or McDaniels went through with the Colts, they'd be where the Bears are right now. Reich was luck as he was the only one left available, and they win with the DC McDaniels picked. He's also had no plan for QB, unless you think they are going somewhere in the AFC with Rivers.

He has also traded out of the first twice after drafting a safety and a Guard (can't argue with that pick) in the first. Bears fans would lose their mind over this.

He also struggled heavy with skill positions, while spending a lot of draft capital on them. I don't actually think Ballard would be much more successful than Pace if he were here.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

It's like passing on Jordan and Kobe in the same draft while trading up for Sam Bowie.

Mahomes and Watson are #1 and #2 in NFL passer rating in NFL history.

Bear Down!