Draft a 1st Rd QB or trade for Darnold?

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Trade Foles for Darnold. It's a perfect lose lose situation ?

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
1. Draft a QB, hopefully Wilson or Fields.
2. Sign good FA O-line help.
3. Draft O-line in 2nd and 3rd rounds.
4. Foles start in 2021 and let him take the shots until O-line gels.
5. Then put young QB in best position for success.

Good FA OL help isn't available. Decker, Bakhtiari, Stanley, and Bolles all got paid.

But set aside logic for a second and let's assume good OL help IS available. Where are you getting the money from? You're going to need double-digit millions per year to get good OL help.

And not just that, you need 2 tackles. You don't need a really good guard or center. Meaning overpaying a guy like Alejandro Villanueva--who's 32 going on 33 (if Pittsburgh lets him walk) to hope he does his best John Tait impression while finding scraps of draftable guys in the 2nd round or beyond is what Ryan Pace did.

Taking a half-assed approach to offense by going with sexy, shiny weapons is what got the Bears to where they are now. They have plenty of playmakers who look good when they can make plays. But it doesn't matter who you put under center when you can't protect his blindside (or his strong side). Oh--you also don't have a right guard either, but you may get lucky with Mustipher playing really well and being cheap for another year or two.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Wilson or Lance is there, I take him. If not, OT and hope Jamie Newman is still there in the middle of 2. I keep Foles around to start the year(like we have a choice anyway).

LetsGo34

Liked Posts:
All you need to know is that Jets fans want a Darnold for Mitch trade...hard pass on that idea

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Trading for a QB is an absolute awful idea. I present the 2020 Chicago Bears as an example. Trading draft picks to acquire a QB suggests to me that you have zero confidence in your ability to scout one.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Unless a miracle happens and the Bears pick in the top ten then the answer is probably none of the above. The Bears aren't in a position to lose another draft pick trying to acquire a quarterback. Trubisky cost four picks, Foles cost a pick...I'm tired of it.

Same here.

At this point, we're in the middle of the first round.

I say trade down, and get some additional picks in rounds 2 and 3. The Bears can still get a guard like Tennessee's Trey Smith (6'6", 325) and a tackle like Clemson's Jackson Carman (6'5", 345) for the right side.

Add a RB like Chuba Hubbard, and a lot of the offensive problems are mitigated, especially if you can tag Allen Robinson (then, if a deal can't be worked out in time, deal him for a pick or two).

Here's a mock showing what I have in mind:
Round 1 Pick 25 (NYJ): Trey Smith, OG, Tennessee (A)
Round 2 Pick 16: Patrick Jones, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh (A)
Round 2 Pick 21 (L.V.): Jackson Carman, OG/OT, Clemson (B+)
Round 3 Pick 1 (NYJ): Chuba Hubbard, RB, Oklahoma State (A)
Round 3 Pick 15: Tedarrell Slaton, DT, Florida (A+)
Round 3 Pick 18 (PHI): Cade Mays, OG/OT, Tennessee (A)
Round 5 Pick 22 (T.B.): Kellen Mond, QB, Texas A&M (A+)
Round 6 Pick 16: Asim Rose, RB, Kentucky (A+)
Round 7 Pick 8: Darius Stills, DT, West Virginia (A+)
Round 7 Pick 22 (T.B.): Lorenzo Neal, DT, Purdue (A+)
Round 7 Pick 32 (T.B.): Dyami Brown, WR, North Carolina (A+)

I get Kellen Mond, more as a #3 QB option, but he might be a decent backup if you can't get Trubisky to sign a reasonable deal to return.

Mostly, I also intend to replace the Urban/Michols duo with younger backups like Stills and Neal. Asim Rose is a backup option behind Hubabrd, especially if you move Montgomery to FB.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Good O-linemen don't make it to free agency
Neither do great QBs unless you want to pay $35 million/year for a old QBs in their twilight years.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Bears could’ve had Conklin for 3 years $42 million instead of Quinn. This is why Pace should be fired.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They might not be as far away on the O line as most of us thought. Small sample size, but I want to see more of Mustipher at center....I thought he played well again. If the Bears get lucky with him....they put put Daniels and Whitehair at guard, move Leno to RT for his last year and while it's tough to find good LTs....they go out and find one by draft or FA. Keep Bars and maybe Ifedi and another kid they draft as back ups. You grab a QB (hopefully Wilson, if they lose out) in Round 1 and look for that LT in the rest of the draft.

Last edited:

shoez90

Liked Posts:
I'd draft linmen and try and grab cam in off season or Winston for a year or two tops wait out Trevor. get Peyton on staff who at least knows football and look for head coach hopefully with those changes it makes offer more appealing.