Consequences of keeping Nagy and Pace

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I must be getting old because waiting years to fix stuff seems dumb.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been hearing about this dude that Cal McNair has hanging around him. The dude got trashed by Andre Johnson, and seems to be the big part of the problems in Houston. Can't remember his name.
Yea and when AJ talks people listen, he's a typically quiet guy I saw that he was going off on social media. A close race but I think the Texans could possibly be a more poorly run organization than the bears.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
1) As a result of keeping Nagy and Pace, the Bears are firmly in win-now mode. Having a losing season basically guarantees them gone after 2021 (although with this ownership, who knows?), so watch for Pace and Nagy to make whatever changes to the 2021 roster they can to make it temporarily better.

This will mean tweaked improvements to the roster while mortgaging future assets, because Pace and Nagy have zero incentive to think about how their 2021 actions will affect the 2022 Bears and beyond. This will not be good for the Bears long-term, but what do they care?

2) Because of #1, don't expect the Bears to draft a quarterback. A rookie quarterback with a #20 pick, or even trading up around #10 or so, probably doesn't make you better in 2021 when they could draft other assets that help them immediately or trade those draft picks away for established assets.

3) Re-signing Allen Robinson becomes a must. Letting Allen Robinson walk makes an anemic offense even worse. That can't happen for Pace and Nagy in 2021. I suspect they'll give Robinson the cheaper of the two options between a new contract and a franchise tag.

4) You've now pissed off the defensive players. I'm in the camp of people who believed Chuck Pagano needed to be fired. He wasn't properly using what's still a good defense. He wasn't making them better. But he was very well-liked by the players, and the defensive players know that they're not **the reason** for the disappointing 2020 season. They know the offense is the main problem with this team, but their guy got fired and the offense's architect is still alive and well on the team. That's gotta piss them off.

5) Trubisky coming back seems more likely. This could go either way, but the point is that Pace and Nagy need the best damn quarterback they can get for 2021. No projects, no draft picks. But they may not be **able** to get a Wentz or a Prescott. Trubisky may unfortunately be the best they can get. I know, I know. Trubisky isn't good. And I'm fully in favor of moving on from him. But unless they trade for an established veteran who is definitely better, I don't see them getting their hands on anyone who's better specifically for the 2021 season.

6) There's basically a guarantee of a house cleaning at the end of the 2021, as the window closes on the defense and time runs out on the offense. Call me a pessimist, but I don't think all the desperation moves that Pace and Nagy make this offseason will result in a winning season. This moment, right now, would've been such a perfect time to start a mini-rebuild/reload with a new GM. The defense is still good, but not great. It's the perfect time to move on from Trubisky and set up the next step in the QB process while focusing on surrounding that quarterback with good, young assets over the next couple of years, whether you'd want to acquire that next long-term quarterback this offseason or wait for the next draft while using a bridge.

7) It's going to be hard for them to get a good DC. What defensive coordinator candidate worth their salt is going to walk into a one-year rental situation? The beat writers disagree with this, but I believe this makes promoting from within more likely. This means Jay Rodgers may be your new DC. This means Ted Monachino may be your new DC.

I fuckin' hate this, man. If it were me (who gives a shit, but hey, this is a message board for opinions), I would've fired Pace and let the new GM decide whether they want to keep Nagy, and plan to roll into 2021 as a mini-rebuild year: Shed the Leno and Massie contracts, plan on cutting or trading Mack and Hicks at the end of 2021 (It's not really possible to get rid of them before that), draft a QB in the second or third round, roll with Foles as my 2021 shitty starter, understanding that we're probably going to have a shitty season and draft fairly high in the 2022 draft, then draft my QB of the future with my 2022 first round pick. By then, my new GM will probably have picked their next coach to go with the new QB. Hey, better than the Bears' plan for the future.

The desperation moves that are about to be made by Pace are going to hamper the Bears for years.

for as much of an idiot mccaskey is, during these long ass meetings I have to believe he's put in mandates as one of the reasons for keeping them...
- no mortgaging future capital without getting ownership approval
- get rid of trubisky and find a capable qb in FA
- fix cap situation
- hire a new DC
- give up playcalling

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
The problem is there is no clear cut #1 QB coming out in the 2022 draft (that would be so the Bears, get a high draft and there is no QB to draft). As of right now, it looks like the Bears will picking very high, as high as the first pick in the draft. Maybe Spencer Rattler.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
for as much of an idiot mccaskey is, during these long ass meetings I have to believe he's put in mandates as one of the reasons for keeping them...
- fix cap situation
- hire a new DC
- give up playcalling
Should have just fired them then. What good is a eunuch as a coach/GM.

Last edited:

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The problem is there is no clear cut #1 QB coming out in the 2022 draft (that would be so the Bears, get a high draft and there is no QB to draft). As of right now, it looks like the Bears will picking very high, as high as the first pick in the draft. Maybe Spencer Rattler.
I feel like that happens every year tho. And then the college season happens and 3-4 guys end up with the possible 'franchise QB' tag. With the aging Big Ben/Rivers/Brees/Bradys/Cam's of the NFL World, there are going to be a lot of teams looking for QBs in the coming years.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Should have just fired him then. What good is a eunuch as a coach/GM.

right but supposedly he likes them so in my mind he's essentially saying find your qb in free agency and prove you are capable of lifting this offense to where it should be.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I feel like that happens every year tho. And then the college season happens and 3-4 guys end up with the possible 'franchise QB' tag. With the aging Big Ben/Rivers/Brees/Bradys/Cam's of the NFL World, there are going to be a lot of teams looking for QBs in the coming years.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
- fix cap situation
- hire a new DC
- give up playcalling
God I hope so, but sure ain’t holding my breath!

Toast88

Liked Posts:
- fix cap situation
- hire a new DC
- give up playcalling

In other words, "We'd like you to stop doing what you've been doing." Sounds like a great reason to get someone new in there. I digress, though. You're probably right, in that that's some dumb ass shit that I'd definitely expect from Bears ownership.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
They called the trubisky draft weak for nfl qbs. It produced a first ballot hall of famer that already won a super bowl and has a chance at a second this year and another qb that is a perennial pro bowler that can possibly win a super bowl if the shit org gets its shit together. Our bum gm of course picked the bum that will be wandering the league the next ten years. That’s not bad for a weak qb draft now is it?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
1) As a result of keeping Nagy and Pace, the Bears are firmly in win-now mode. Having a losing season basically guarantees them gone after 2021 (although with this ownership, who knows?), so watch for Pace and Nagy to make whatever changes to the 2021 roster they can to make it temporarily better.

This will mean tweaked improvements to the roster while mortgaging future assets, because Pace and Nagy have zero incentive to think about how their 2021 actions will affect the 2022 Bears and beyond. This will not be good for the Bears long-term, but what do they care?

THis is a common misconception but has never really happened on a high enough basis to confirm there is correlation with causation.

The logic fails because if they do succeed next year and buy themselves another contract, it still puts the same GM/combo in a bad spot the following years.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

THis is a common misconception but has never really happened on a high enough basis to confirm there is correlation with causation.

The logic fails because if they do succeed next year and buy themselves another contract, it still puts the same GM/combo in a bad spot the following years.

Do you think that matters to them at this moment in time? Do you think they even have the foresight to think that?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here's a conspiracy theory. Nagy called the O he did in the last 2 games because he and Pace knew their jobs were secure, this team wasn't going anywhere and it would lower Mitches price, LOL. Had Mitch performed very well in the last 2 games, he would have demanded real money on the market.
Curious as to which aspect you guys disliked here. That Mitch could be worth something, that they want to keep him on the cheap or that the obviously bogus scenario?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Do you think that matters to them at this moment in time? Do you think they even have the foresight to think that?
Yes they do. They aren't idiots, even though they are painted that way.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
I think they’re selling out for Watson.
This idea died when they retained Pace and Nagy. If Watson gets traded, and it looks like Houston is now realizing they screwed up and are trying to make it right, Watson will have a say in where he goes. He has a no trade clause. He will not have an interest in going to a head coach who can't run an offense and will be fired in another year. He is going through that now and is not going to go through BOB v2.0 and hope he gets a better GM/Coach combo in 2022.