Another great QB decision from the past...

KOTC2

Liked Posts:
I know this is ancient history and hindsight is 20/20, so just having a bit of comic relief on one of the more egregious failures in the history of this franchise QB wise:

The Bears had the 66th pick. Montana was still on the board.

Pompei’s story details what happens next, and it’s fascinating. The Bears were set to take Montana, but then general manager Jim Finks said he wanted to think about it some more. The Bears had quarterbacks Bob Avellini, Vince Evans and Mike Phipps. Finks said he didn’t want to be “muddying the waters with another quarterback,” according to the story. Instead, he strangely worried about depth behind Walter Payton.

The Bears drafted Georgia running back Willie McClendon. He never had more than 37 carries in a season, playing behind workhorse Payton. In four NFL seasons, McClendon had 369 rushing yards and two touchdowns.

The 49ers took Montana with the last pick of the third round. Montana became one of the greatest quarterbacks ever, winning four Super Bowls.

The interesting thing about this article is that Fink didn't take Montana because he didn't want to muddy the waters with another QB? Even though he had arguably the worst QB trio in Bear's history? LMAO! Pure gold!

meangreek

Liked Posts:
Yeah, that was the 3rd round. Btw every one was intrigued by Vince Evans strong arm.
You cant compare the Era's
We had Payton!

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Still not as bad as Pace passing on Watson and Mahomes.
It sure is. Instead we got 1 super bowl with McMahon. We problem would of had 3 with that defense and Montana.
also we passed on Rodgers in the 2005 draft when we absolutely needed a quarterback not a running back.
also we passed on Brett Favre when we needed a quarterback and took Stan Thomas instead.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know this is ancient history and hindsight is 20/20, so just having a bit of comic relief on one of the more egregious failures in the history of this franchise QB wise:

Pompei’s story details what happens next, and it’s fascinating. The Bears were set to take Montana, but then general manager Jim Finks said he wanted to think about it some more. The Bears had quarterbacks Bob Avellini, Vince Evans and Mike Phipps. Finks said he didn’t want to be “muddying the waters with another quarterback,” according to the story. Instead, he strangely worried about depth behind Walter Payton.

The Bears drafted Georgia running back Willie McClendon. He never had more than 37 carries in a season, playing behind workhorse Payton. In four NFL seasons, McClendon had 369 rushing yards and two touchdowns.

The 49ers took Montana with the last pick of the third round. Montana became one of the greatest quarterbacks ever, winning four Super Bowls.

The interesting thing about this article is that Fink didn't take Montana because he didn't want to muddy the waters with another QB? Even though he had arguably the worst QB trio in Bear's history? LMAO! Pure gold!
He did draft McMahon and got us a SB (and a team that should have had more) so I'll forgive him.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It sure is. Instead we got 1 super bowl with McMahon. We problem would of had 3 with that defense and Montana.
also we passed on Rodgers in the 2005 draft when we absolutely needed a quarterback not a running back.
also we passed on Brett Favre when we needed a quarterback and took Stan Thomas instead.
We would of had 3 with a healthy McMahon.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

This is exactly what I and others have been saying..... the Bears simply don't take enough swings at the QB position. There's always some position or logic used to justify not taking the QB but for decades now the Bears don't invest enough at the position.

meangreek

Liked Posts:
No we had Grossman from the year before and everyone passed on Rodgers,

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
We would of had 3 with a healthy McMahon.
if you think that’s true than we would have had 6 with Montana
I don’t see a path to 3 with McMahon he wasn’t that great of a quarterback. He wasn’t close to Montana. Hell, Marino didn’t get 1 and he was head and shoulders a better quarterback.
When he left Chicago he had 33 tds to 31 ints. He just wasn’t that good.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
It proves 2 points:
1. You keep drafting QBs until you fix the position
2. Even if you think you have your guy, don't be afraid to add some competition or move on when it becomes obvious that they are not a fit.

Trubisky was a fail, and I would have preferred that they trade him last year (he still had some value, just not much). However, not picking up his 5th year option was a move in the right direction.

I just hope that they let Pace take one more QB, and that he gets some sound advice on who that should be. I hear Nagy was the one that convinced the Chiefs (even though they had Alex Smith) to move up and get Mahommes, so while he might not be the best coach, maybe he has an eye for talent.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
if you think that’s true than we would have had 6 with Montana
I don’t see a path to 3 with McMahon he wasn’t that great of a quarterback. He wasn’t close to Montana. Hell, Marino didn’t get 1 and he was head and shoulders a better quarterback.
When he left Chicago he had 33 tds to 31 ints. He just wasn’t that good.
Whatever dude. Hampton hated Jim and said the exact same thing I did. Longing for Montana is similar to longing for Brady. 49ers weren't geniuses for drafting him. They passed on a possible goat 2 times.

The interesting part if that Finks recognized the value here but probably also realized the odds of a 3rd round QB becoming great.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I hear Nagy was the one that convinced the Chiefs (even though they had Alex Smith) to move up and get Mahommes, so while he might not be the best coach, maybe he has an eye for talent.
\
Actually , he really like trubisky and one of the reasons he took the bears job.

"Trubisky visited the Chiefs before the 2017 draft and spent about six hours in the classroom with head coach Andy Reid, Nagy and the offensive staff. After the visit concluded, the Chiefs were more than impressed. Nagy himself really liked Trubisky and had a good feeling about the kid from North Carolina. Perhaps the success of that meeting played a part in the Bears' decision to hire Nagy, who had no prior head-coaching experience, to lead the organization back to relevance and mentor a second-year quarterback to success. "

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
\
Actually , he really like trubisky and one of the reasons he took the bears job.

"Trubisky visited the Chiefs before the 2017 draft and spent about six hours in the classroom with head coach Andy Reid, Nagy and the offensive staff. After the visit concluded, the Chiefs were more than impressed. Nagy himself really liked Trubisky and had a good feeling about the kid from North Carolina. Perhaps the success of that meeting played a part in the Bears' decision to hire Nagy, who had no prior head-coaching experience, to lead the organization back to relevance and mentor a second-year quarterback to success. "
Lol that's some shit you have to say with Pace as GM. Pace got fleeced. The same way he got Fleeced by Lamar Houston Mike Glennon and Robert Quinn.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Lol that's some shit you have to say with Pace as GM. Pace got fleeced. The same way he got Fleeced by Lamar Houston Mike Glennon and Robert Quinn.
Are you sure you quoted the right post? Nothing you typed has any relation to what i said.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll let this pass, considering how much talent Finks accumulated on that Bears team, enabling the lone Super Bowl win. I can't remember what year the Bears won the Super Bowl- sometime back in the 80s.