The Bears just spent $10-13M to get worse

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
unless they are trading Foles then I agree this move doesnt make a lot of sense. Obviously the plan now is to draft a QB, which is fine, but why not just keep Foles and let him play out most of the year while the young kid sits and learns? Addressing the OL and keeping Foles while drafting a QB seems like the better option.

Now if Foles gets traded then this move makes a little more sense so I guess we will have to wait and see how it all plays out

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
IFEDI re signed here, can’t wait to see the numbers

Last edited:

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
WTF.....So we are taking our sister to the Prom again?! This was a "pack your bags, Ryan" moment.

He can pull his butt out of the flames, a bit, if he manages to trade up in the draft for a top five QB....but I think he is "over" as the GM of the Bears...epic QB fail from Mitch forward.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
It would have been great to trade for Watson or Wilson but the Bears never had enough of value to get it done. Signing Dalton or any retread QB this offseason was the inevitable result of fuckups Pace already committed. This was always going to be a throw-away season en route to yet another rebuild.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
It’s just not true. While Dalton IS NOT what we were all expecting, I can’t get mad at Pace for going all in on the big 2 QB’s. If they won’t trade them, well then what the f are we going to do. CAN NOT go with Foles.
-Dalton is more accurate than Foles/Mitch
-Is a competent NFL staring game manager
-Has a ton of experience
-Has something to prove
***It makes sure Pace doesn’t give away all of our picks so the next regime isn’t completely screwed.***

Long term, not giving up all these picks could be a blessing especially if we get the right QB round 1.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
At this point with Foles on the roster, it is a total head scratcher....

My problem is that I want to believe that no one could be this stupid, and they must have a plan....right?

The problem is we have seen that Pace has had zero success at the QB position, and I agree with most that Trubisky (no longer on the roster) is actually better than both of these guys, and he is not an answer for the QB problem either.

I just refuse to believe that Foles/Dalton is the plan for the upcoming season, but we are not in a position to get Wilson or Watson, and at 20 in the draft we will need to give up a ton to draft one of the top ranked QBs.

Unless Pace and Nagy have been promised that they will be given another year and to approach this season as if they are Safe.....

TOTAL SPECULATION on my part, but maybe they do have an agreement, and that includes Foles, so they had to move on a backup immediately (hence the overpayment).

GoBears

Liked Posts:
Pace isn't going anywhere. Why would they fire him and then pay someone money to do his job? You people keep looking at this team like it's trying to win a Superbowl when it's primary function is to make money (and it's doing that just fine).

This was a GREAT move. The owners have saved millions by keeping Pace and Nagy in place and not having to shell out money for replacements. The only way the owners change is when their current business model fails them and that's not happening because fans are still under the illusion that this team is about winning (instead of generating revenue).

Well done, Bears! There are a dozen other team owners that are incredibly jealous of you!

InsideTheLines

Opinionated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Miami Marlins
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
  2. Northwestern Wildcats
The QB hunt is still going on. Signing Dalton isn’t a horrible decision. Besides Watson and Wilson, there are no other decent QB options available. Did you see who’s left in free agency?

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Dalton was brought in to Dallas to be Dak's backup after it was clear he would not be the starter in Cincinnati.

Let that sink in for a moment - No longer wanted by the Bengals.

If Dalton was good enough to start for some other team, presumably he would have signed there. Apparently, the offers didn't flood in.

So, one year after not getting the Cowboys into the playoffs in the NFL's worst division, he gets a 10-13 million dollar offer from the brain trust at Halas Hall. The same brain trust that brought us Mike Glennon, Mitchell Trubisky, and Nick Foles.

What could possibly go wrong?

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
How many places do we think Bears are moving up in the draft?

They sort of have to now.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It’s just not true. While Dalton IS NOT what we were all expecting, I can’t get mad at Pace for going all in on the big 2 QB’s. If they won’t trade them, well then what the f are we going to do. CAN NOT go with Foles.
-Dalton is more accurate than Foles/Mitch
-Is a competent NFL staring game manager
-Has a ton of experience
-Has something to prove
***It makes sure Pace doesn’t give away all of our picks so the next regime isn’t completely screwed.***

Long term, not giving up all these picks could be a blessing especially if we get the right QB round 1.
Speaking of "It's just isn't true."
Accuracy:

He has a worse career completion % than both Foles and Trubisky and an awful deep ball:

2020 Deep Passer ratings:
26. Andy Dalton, Cincinnati Bengals (now with Dallas Cowboys)
32.1% completion percentage, 10.6 yards per attempt, 66.6 Passer Rating

While Andy Dalton was a pedestrian deep passer, the Bengals will be hoping that Joe Burrow is entirely different.

Competent game manager:
He has a higher INT% than either Foles or Trubisky and has not even led a team to a .500 record once in last 5 seasons as a starter, with an overall record of 24-40-1.

Tons of experience/something to prove:
OK I agree here, but I am not sure how being old and a failure the last 5 seasons are a positive.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
1) Andy Dalton is absolutely worse than Mitch Trubisky, significantly worse each of the last 3 seasons Comp%, TD%< INT%, passer rating...

MT
View attachment 10774

AD
View attachment 10773

B) He is not replacing Trubisky he is replacing Foles.

Bears just added $10M to their cap for a shittier older chokier version of Foles. Dumber by leaps and bounds over the Glennon signing. At least with Glennon,they didn't have the same fucking guy on the roster. This is a do absolutely nothing to get better use of $10min cap space.
I disagree. I've had enough of Mitch missing the easy read, running OB for a loss, avoiding a 1st down on a scramble, reading the end opposite of design on roll options or the LB on RPOs. Mitch is a lot worse than his stats and has always been. There was no fixing dumb and he proved it in those last games after it looked like he may have turned a corner.

Dalton is no Rhodes Scholar but he won't kill drives like that. He'll do it with some ineptitude but consistently meh can actually be coached around. Most of Dalton's pick are him trying to make something happen instead of the turtle routine. Still not good but I'll take an aggressive fail over inept.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL neither Foles nor Trubisky are better than Dalton. He's nothing more than a stop gap anyway. They were never getting Watson or Wilson. So why not give something new a try? We've seen enough of Foles and more than enough of Trubisky.

Last edited:

Luke

Liked Posts:
I disagree. I've had enough of Mitch missing the easy read, running OB for a loss, avoiding a 1st down on a scramble, reading the end opposite of design on roll options or the LB on RPOs. Mitch is a lot worse than his stats and has always been. There was no fixing dumb and he proved it in those last games after it looked like he may have turned a corner.

Dalton is no Rhodes Scholar but he won't kill drives like that. He'll do it with some ineptitude but consistently meh can actually be coached around. Most of Dalton's pick are him trying to make something happen instead of the turtle routine. Still not good but I'll take an aggressive fail over inept.

a little snippet from Biggs today...

Dalton is a timing and rhythm thrower, and he won’t see any defensive concepts that are foreign to him. He’s not a vertical thrower with a big arm, but he has enough movement ability to function in the bootleg game.

Trubisky was severely limited as a pocket thrower, and the Bears are hoping they can improve there with the quick game and leveled reads. Dalton should be able to see the throwing windows faster than Trubisky did, and as much as Nagy has stressed situational football, the Bears hope they will be improved in the red zone and on third down.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I just can't fathom that anyone is able to justify to any degree signing Andy Dalton. Dude has been nothing but a loser for the last 5 seasons. The last 5 seasons as a passer he has went from meh to shit. 15th, 17th,26th,32nd( last),25th.

Anyone expecting 2015 to rise from the ashes has officially been Pace'd.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Who the fuck said that?

We’ve improved ourselves with a below average starter. Says more about what came before and no one expects a miracle with the upcoming schedule.

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I just can't fathom that anyone is able to justify to any degree signing Andy Dalton. Dude has been nothing but a loser for the last 5 seasons. The last 5 seasons as a passer he has went from meh to shit. 15th, 17th,26th,32nd( last),25th.

Anyone expecting 2015 to rise from the ashes has officially been Pace'd.
There is no good reason for it.

Anyone trying to rationalize it is ignoring the fact that the only reason the Bears are in position is because Pace picked the dud of three QBs in 2017, hasn’t drafted one since despite saying you should draft one every year, and made dumb moves for the likes of Glennon, Foles & now Dalton.

Like, they’re essentially forced to gamble on the draft and likely give up assets to do so. Will set the franchise back about 5 or so years if he fucks up as you’d expect.

Splackers

Liked Posts:
How many teams are jumping at the chance to sign Mitch? Clearly if he was any good he would have been one of the first QBs signed

The only delusional ones are the ones who thought Trubisky was anything more than trash in a system that was simplified for him

how many teams were jumping for Dalton after the BengalsTHE BENGALS decided he wasn’t even good enough to back up or mentor their incoming rookie.

We took everyone’s worst ex wife, you know the one that’s already been married a few times, and made them our new boo. Everyone and I mean everyone is laughing at us.