Hicks is likely back with Bears, Brad Biggs reports

Luke

Liked Posts:
They just gave Hicks permission to seek a trade and then when he couldn't they evidently are keeping him (all this was reported, no idea if it's true).

That seems like lack of a plan.

the plan is to try to win which has been questioned on this board.
Thinking anyone would trade for Hicks was a comical notion.
Pace wanted to swap Hicks contract for Golladay and when Golladay signed they kept Hicks.
I still think they sign another WR and cut Miller.
from Rap...

I assumed the #Bears visit for WR Kenny Golladay was to push Allen Robinson. It wasn’t. It was real and Chicago went all in, willing to push money into future years to find space. But Golladay clicked with NYG coaches and never left town until a deal was done.

Last edited:

Montucky

Liked Posts:
There is no plan. The Bears aren't going to be very good this year, so may as well keep an older player who won't be with the team when they could be good again. And have $10mil on the books that doesn't really do much in the grand scheme.

Don't get me wrong, always happy to root for Hicks. But there is no plan.
This is the most jumbled, discombulated off-season I can remember. The Bears seem to be chasing ghosts. Its staggeringly incompetent, almost to the point where I have a sneaking suspicion they are having something up their sleeve that nobody is seeing. They were in on Trent Williams and Kenny Golladay, they want to spend money.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
12.5 mil to me is a bit excessive. We probably didnt have any trade offers for that price. And now Golloday is off the board, the staff probabky doesn't see the point in cutting Hicks if we don't have too or cant sign a better player.

Also, its possible Hicks learned there wasn't much of a market for him when being told he could seek trade offers. May have pushed him to take a pay cut and either extend or treat this year like his last chance at a multi year contract.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Good GM: cuts Hicks, probably Graham too. Extends fuller to lower the cap hit, 4 year extension. Then next year trades him if he has to.

Pace: likes to keep old players, loses 29 year old all pro cb for nothing.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Everyone knew (cept a few in this thread, ooops) when 2018 didn't work out and how the salary cap works in the NFL the window would eventually be closing (age, contracts, cap crunch).

Pace needs to hit on some impact players in this draft.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Everyone knew (cept a few in this thread, ooops) when 2018 didn't work out and how the salary cap works in the NFL the window would eventually be closing (age, contracts, cap crunch).

Moh yeah you knew the cap would drop this much and that old ass Graham Hicks and Trevathon would be here, but not 29 year old fuller. It all makes perfect sense right? Child please..

Bust

Liked Posts:
Moh yeah you knew the cap would drop this much and that old ass Graham Hicks and Trevathon would be here, but not 29 year old fuller. It all makes perfect sense right? Child please..

Fuller is a 20 million dollar cap casualty. There is this little thing called the salary cap, ask the Blackhawk fans and front office what that is, they would have a better idea. Ooops

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
there is a plan, albeit a poor one.
Pace is trying to win this year.
You don't pay Arob 18mil, Hicks 12mil and kick the can on those bad contracts if you aren't trying to win.
I just hope its win or get fired
You also don't bring in Dalton as the QB, but they did that anyway.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The cunting over Kyle Fuller is ridiculous.

He had one pro bowl ability... The ability to jump a route for a takeaway when the pass rush was good.

Everything else about him was just a slightly above average corner, and not nearly worth the price tag.

On Hicks, if he was seriously bitching over the defensive culling, they may have told him to seek a trade if he wants, only to find out no one wants him at his price.

May have been done to humble him...

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
Man people really underestimate Goldman. I’m not talking his stats but what he does to other teams scheme wise and how he effects double teams. Hicks Goldman Nichols is a nasty d-line IMO. If our front 7 gets good pressure it will cover some of those secondary issues...

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Good GM: cuts Hicks, probably Graham too. Extends fuller to lower the cap hit, 4 year extension. Then next year trades him if he has to.

Pace: likes to keep old players, loses 29 year old all pro cb for nothing.

Former all pro

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Not really excited by this (non)move. Hicks fell off the cliff last season. And now he’s a year older. His last sack was in week 3. The Dline was one of the lowest in the league in sacks last season and it looks like they are all coming back.

But he cuts Fuller. I don’t get it!

I don't understand what you and others don't get about why we had to get rid of at least one of our highly paid defenders. Is it that you're just angry cause it was Fuller or what cause we simply had to create cap space? I don't wanna see him go either but i get why it was done.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Add the salary cap drop this year as well. We simply had to make at least one big cut. It's really that simple.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
The cunting over Kyle Fuller is ridiculous.

He had one pro bowl ability... The ability to jump a route for a takeaway when the pass rush was good.

Everything else about him was just a slightly above average corner, and not nearly worth the price tag.

On Hicks, if he was seriously bitching over the defensive culling, they may have told him to seek a trade if he wants, only to find out no one wants him at his price.

May have been done to humble him...

He was also by far one of the best hard hitting and tackling CB's in the entire league. His worst thing was his coverage skills weren't the best.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I will say I’m happy to keep Hicks, surprised he wasn’t cut to save $10 million then sign some no name scrub for $8 million to replace him.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
god this guy will suck pace's cock to the death

Canth

Liked Posts:
That 2018 defense was a special defense for most of that year. But the hard fact is that none of the guys on that defense have continued to produce at the level they did that one year. Sure, some of that is due to the scheme changes, some due to injury, and some of it due to bs NFL rules changes to allow offenses to hold like never before. Be that as it may, the end result is that the defense has declined and is just not producing like it did in 2018. They are not getting the same pressure on the qb and possibly more importantly, they are not getting the turnovers. Neither Fuller or Jackson have come remotely close to the number of interceptions they had in 2018. Heck, combine both of their interceptions for 2019 and 2020 (6 total) and they can only match what one of them did in 2018 (Jackson had 6, Fuller had 7 that year).

It sucks that Fuller was cut and that this is probably the last year for Hicks assuming they do indeed stick with him. But, that is the brutal nature of the NFL. Teams use guys when they can produce at or exceed their contract value and move on when they can't.

It's going to suck when they likely move on from Mack at some point. And again, something will likely to need to change with Eddie Jackson as well at his contract value if he doesn't get back close to those 2018 numbers. That's just the reality of the NFL.