Official CCS Grillmasters thread

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So I am trying this wildfork place out and getting a berkshire ham delivered hopefully before easter, free shipping because I threw in some lamb shanks to meet the price for that. Shanks are coming today, ham should be right behind it.

Then as I browsed a little bit more stumbled on this:

That price looks way cheap to me. FIFTEEN POUNDS of PRIME for under 3 bux.

@Burque @Ares @brett05

check this out

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Weather is gonna be awesome this weekend it looks like.

Gotta decide wtf I'm gonna grill up a storm of.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So I am trying this wildfork place out and getting a berkshire ham delivered hopefully before easter, free shipping because I threw in some lamb shanks to meet the price for that. Shanks are coming today, ham should be right behind it.

@Burque @Ares @brett05

check this out
Have you ever sous vide'd a brisket? I've seen some people I follow online do it and I'm intrigued. Never done a brisket on my kettle and this seems like an easier method for the first time than a 10 hour cook.

135 for 48 hours.
Then smoke at 250 until IT of 165 (they say typically 2-3 hours) and wrap.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

@Burque @Ares @brett05

check this out
3 bux? That's a dang good price for brisket shoot

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Have you ever sous vide'd a brisket? I've seen some people I follow online do it and I'm intrigued. Never done a brisket on my kettle and this seems like an easier method for the first time than a 10 hour cook.

135 for 48 hours.
Then smoke at 250 until IT of 165 (they say typically 2-3 hours) and wrap.
I have not. we try to only eat grass fed beef and it's hard to come across brisket that isn't cost prohibitive. I'll probably just make that a treat/cheat and get this PRIME one,

As far as the process, sous vide would be perfect BUT, i'd think you'd have to break the roast down to 5 lb slabs to fit it in your vessel.

I do this with St. Louis ribs, sous vide overnight and smoked for only a halve hour. THIRTY MINUTE RIBS and they just fall right off the bone.

I've also done it with Chuck roasts. This is where things get interesting. If you sous vide at low temps you get it properly broken down for tenderness BUT you can still have it RARE. So with that you can make something with the texture of a slow cooked brisket or pot roast, but bloodiness of that PIT BEEF @MDB111™ has squawked about from time to time.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I have not. we try to only eat grass fed beef and it's hard to come across brisket that isn't cost prohibitive. I'll probably just make that a treat/cheat and get this PRIME one,

As far as the process, sous vide would be perfect BUT, i'd think you'd have to break the roast down to 5 lb slabs to fit it in your vessel.

I do this with St. Louis ribs, sous vide overnight and smoked for only a halve hour. THIRTY MINUTE RIBS and they just fall right off the bone.

I've also done it with Chuck roasts. This is where things get interesting. If you sous vide at low temps you get it properly broken down for tenderness BUT you can still have it RARE. So with that you can make something with the texture of a slow cooked brisket or pot roast, but bloodiness of that PIT BEEF @MDB111™ has squawked about from time to time.
True that on breaking it down which was an initial concern, but I have kept an old cooler that would be perfect size to sous vide larger things in.

When I do my 30 minute ribs (shout out to @Burque) I normally halve them to fit in my little container.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
True that on breaking it down which was an initial concern, but I have kept an old cooler that would be perfect size to sous vide larger things in.

When I do my 30 minute ribs (shout out to @Burque) I normally halve them to fit in my little container.

Your sous vide cooker is only going to be able to heat a certain amount of water.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I was really trying to hang with you mad scientist chefs, then "ping pong balls".

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I was really trying to hang with you mad scientist chefs, then "ping pong balls".

I knew that was going to sound weird for someone lol

It's an idea J. Kenji Lopez-Alt came up with. The ping pong balls float on top of the water in your sous vide vessel to serve as an insulating cover that won't drip from condensation, and they can be reused.