2 Week Out Mock Draft

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I thought Fisher is a long shot to play this year? Wasn't he the OL that tore his knee up in the playoffs?

Anyway, I want every draft pick to be a tackle. Shouldn't listen to me, but for real, I am more pessimistic about our tackle situation than QB. It's that bad.
Tore his Achilles

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So you think he should of drafted their backups because they're both clearly starters? This is not sarcasm at all, i'm just wondering cause if he already has o-linemen locked up as the starters then why draft more?
Neither Leno or Massie are very good. Most teams are not excited to accept mediocrity at a key position.

He has never shown the desire to even have them compete. I do not think he values the OT position the way that many teams do.

Pace seems very content with mediocre OT play.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Probably because they've had Leno and Massie locked up into long term deals so he didn't see the need to spend any early or mid round picks at tackle with them both on long term deals. They both were decent tackles when they got signed to their deals.

Massie missed most of the last 2 seasons.

Massie was decent for 1 season and we treated him like a perennially good player.
Leno has never been more than serviceable and we have never even tried to upgrade him or have him compete.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Probably because they've had Leno and Massie locked up into long term deals so he didn't see the need to spend any early or mid round picks at tackle with them both on long term deals. They both were decent tackles when they got signed to their deals.
When Pace took over we carried only Leno and Kyle Long forward. Grasu was drafted in the 3rd as a starter. We had Vlad Ducasse and Matt Slauson to round out the 5. So Pace took Cody Whitehair to bolster the middle and signed Massie and Sitton. That's when Long's injuries really started. 2017 we carried the same starting 5 forward with Long further breaking down, which necessitated the draft of Daniels in the 2nd round in 2018, but he just ended up replacing Sitton while Long totally broke down in 2018. Despite that we didn't really replace Long in a meaningful way and ended up leaning on Coward while the rest of the line broke down (Whitehair/Daniels switch, Leno sucking, etc). Despite all that, Pace ignored the position in the 2020 draft but for 2 7th round picks. His only meaningful addition to the roster was Ifedi on a minimum contract. It showed in the first half of the season as well with the line only solidifying when Mustipher was forced into action. Frankly: Pace got really lucky that Mustipher could play and Ifedi outperformed his contract or else things would have got a whole lot worse.

It's not to say Pace was dead wrong or anything but the fact remains that he hasn't prioritized making sure there's young talent in the O line pipeline.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
What’s the fascination with drafting te every draft lol.
The Bears current U TE is 36 and cannot run at all. The fact he is on the roster is shocking with his cap hit.

The Bears should draft TE because they don’t have very good talent at that position and they play a lot

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It would make me sad to see the offensive line ignored once again. Whomstever is QB will need better O line play to be successful. If they can’t move up to get one of the top 5 QB’s in this draft, they need to focus on the O line. If there’s not a OL guy worth it at 20, then I’d look at edge rusher and CB. They have the next highest positional value IMO. Positions you can’t have enough depth at.

Luke

Liked Posts:
I think 18 and 52 will be some kind of combo of WR/CB or CB/WR.
Not a fan of Bateman in the 1st
Newman is a waste of a pick at #83. imo, 5th round earliest but I don't like him at all.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Neither Leno or Massie are very good. Most teams are not excited to accept mediocrity at a key position.

He has never shown the desire to even have them compete. I do not think he values the OT position the way that many teams do.

I didn't say they are very good, i said they were decent when we gave them their contracts and remember you were good with both of those contracts when he gave them to them. So all i'm saying is what reason did he have to draft a tackle with a high pick when he was now locked in with both of them on long term deals?

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Massie missed most of the last 2 seasons.

Massie was decent for 1 season and we treated him like a perennially good player.
Leno has never been more than serviceable and we have never even tried to upgrade him or have him compete.

I guess you might of forgotten that you were good with those contracts cause we've had this conversation about this before and you said you were good with the contracts when he gave them to them but they both didn't live up to those contracts which every one on here agrees with that even me.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I didn't say they are very good, i said they were decent when we gave them their contracts and remember you were good with both of those contracts when he gave them to them. So all i'm saying is what reason did he have to draft a tackle with a high pick when he was now locked in with both of them on long term deals?

They were fine contracts at the time.

Then they both regressed and nothing was done. You should consistently be investing in the OL because of injuries and the volatility of mediocre players.

No matter what the contracts are you should be looking to upgrade from mediocre players. I get why they extended Leno. I do not get why they have never tried to upgrade him.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I guess you might of forgotten that you were good with those contracts cause we've had this conversation about this before and you said you were good with the contracts when he gave them to them but they both didn't live up to those contracts which every one on here agrees with that even me.

The fact that neither lived up to their contracts is why you spend a 3rd round pick on an OT to develop.

My problem is that Pace did nothing to hedge his bet on either player.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I am also not a huge Newman fan. I think he is a huge swing.

But they are going to need someone who has a reasonable shot of at least giving them a Jalen Hurts level of performance. Newman has a ton of tools.
That person is Davis Mills, not Newman IMO. I’m in Georgia. Many, including myself, believe he didn’t want to compete for the starting spot against JT Daniels. Add in the fact he sucks. No thanks. Mills is the one who has all the tools needed for success.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
My problem is that Pace did nothing to hedge his bet on either player.

I think that is a tough take because in a game of scarce resources, every offseason is a scramble to fill holes for most teams. Drafting starters to compete with already highly paid starters that you cannot cheaply cut is not very common.

I would agree if we don't see some investment this season, with Ifedi as a questionable long term solution at RT, and Leno likely getting cut next season, your criticism would be more accurate.

You want to see a neglected position on the Bears. It's SS. He let Amos, Dix and Gipson all walk. Never paid big money at the position. 30 million to Massie and 37 million to Leno isn't neglect, they just didn't play up to their contracts.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I seem to remember him saying something to this effect when he was first hired. He believes in being stronger up the middle for protections. I think that was how the Saints did it when he was there. They had some studs at guard at the time. Of course that was years ago so I may be talking out of my ass too.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think 18 and 52 will be some kind of combo of WR/CB or CB/WR.
Not a fan of Bateman in the 1st
Newman is a waste of a pick at #83. imo, 5th round earliest but I don't like him at all.

Agreed.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Exactly. Not going to complain about drafting a QB when it's not an extreme reach. Newman probably is going to suck, but so are like 4/5 of the other QBs in this draft class. And it's just another in the long line of Bears sucky QBs, except this one has 0 expectation. If he's good, great. If he's not, no big deal. Worth a shot.
Yep..........Hell you should expect one probably two of the top 5 quarterbacks to go bust who fans here want to trade up to get, so why not take a shot at project QB who is a great athlete with little to no expectations.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I like the idea of Morrissey at C.

Let's be honest...James Daniels has been disappointing.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think that is a tough take because in a game of scarce resources, every offseason is a scramble to fill holes for most teams. Drafting starters to compete with already highly paid starters that you cannot cheaply cut is not very common.

I would agree if we don't see some investment this season, with Ifedi as a questionable long term solution at RT, and Leno likely getting cut next season, your criticism would be more accurate.

You want to see a neglected position on the Bears. It's SS. He let Amos, Dix and Gipson all walk. Never paid big money at the position. 30 million to Massie and 37 million to Leno isn't neglect, they just didn't play up to their contracts.

This 100%^^

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I like the idea of Morrissey at C.

Let's be honest...James Daniels has been disappointing.
I wouldn't go this far but I do think it would be very wise for the Bears to continue making draft investments on the interior line. As great as Mustipher and Bars looked it could all for apart for them just as quickly as it came together. With the way injuries pile up and relatively common late-season tactic all teams employ of putting quality interior linemen at tackle in the wake of an injury at that position its not a bad idea. I would support taking Leatherwood at twentieth overall, let alone somehow snagging him in the second.