PFF: Bears should trade up for Justin Fields

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
You know, I’ve been a proponent of maintaining our picks but I’m starting to reconsider:

-At some point during the next three drafts we likely will need to take a QB in the first round.

-During this stretch we figure to be a middle of the pack team. Maybe at best we pick around #10.

-As such, we will likely need to trade up to get a top prospect. The cost to do this is always going to be two or three firsts.

Lance and Jones aren’t worth it to me, but Fields would be QB1 most years—so, if he’s there at 4 or 5 you may as well do it now, right?

bufordht

Liked Posts:
You know, I’ve been a proponent of maintaining our picks but I’m starting to reconsider:

-At some point during the next three drafts we likely will need to take a QB in the first round.

-During this stretch we figure to be a middle of the pack team. Maybe at best we pick around #10.

-As such, we will likely need to trade up to get a top prospect. The cost to do this is always going to be two or three firsts.

Lance and Jones aren’t worth it to me, but Fields would be QB1 most years—so, if he’s there at 4 or 5 you may as well do it now, right?

To add to that, I see this team as a lost cause. Without a top-tier quarterback they will never do better than middle of the pack first or second round of the playoffs. I'm not too concerned with mortgaging the future because what were we hoping for the next 3 years anyway? One and done in the playoffs? Woohoo. Do what you have to do to get a guy you can build around. If you miss, do it again.

The days of defense and mediocre offense taking you to the Super bowl are probably over. Plus I would rather be in contention every year than have a run like 06 every other decade. The teams who have sustained success are the teams who have a quarterback. They have some ups and downs, but every year they have a chance to put a team together that could go far.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
PFF is shit and should be banned from all reasonable football discussion.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd love to get Fields but that's too much and I don't see it happening even if we try. Too many teams with better draft positions ahead of us probably looking to do the same.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
Getting a hc job isn’t easy. You going to pass a guaranteed 5 year 30 mil lottery ticket? That’s generational wealth. Just like we see with athletes who choose to stay in school an extra year just to see their stock drop we see the same with coaches. They might be hot commodity one year and trash the next so you take that opportunity when it comes to you

I also agree with that point and it's the other side of the coin. Do you wait for another HC job or take the one with a qb that you think sucks? I think most people would take the job because of the money. If you fail you still made a ton of money and can retire if you want and just live your life. Probably not a hard choice.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I think there’s just too much risk with Fields to make that type of a trade up. I like him as a prospect, but we have to weigh the risk/reward here.

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
I think there’s just too much risk with Fields to make that type of a trade up. I like him as a prospect, but we have to weigh the risk/reward here.

Is there any more risk with Fields this year than there will be with anyone who is available in ‘22 or ‘23? I’d say no. Actually, maybe slightly less.

Further, taking a tier two guy this year is likely to be a wasted pick so that puts us right back here in ‘22 anyway. And as I posted earlier, the cost of trading up won’t change.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Nope. Let Pace fall on the sword this year. You also don't want to be looking for a new GM with no first round picks for two years.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nagy was front row at Field's Pro Day

Brownie

Liked Posts:
I say do it…

Go get this franchise some hope. Fields has a decent floor thanks to his mobility and an extremely high ceiling.

We keep trading picks and mortgage the future, then you know we'll just be in here whining about how much the defense and line sucks for the next 4 seasons instead.

Make these guys or the next guys do it the old fashioned way for once and BUILD/DEVELOP a balanced roster. I'm not letting these dudes psychologically pants me and throw a shiny new QB in my face, but then we're not good enough to win anything worth a damn for the next x amount of years.

Oh and they WILL use that as their new excuse about how they "need more time, just trust us".

fatkid73

Liked Posts:
If we keep trading draft picks, we will continue to be in cap hell. You have to have draft picks to replace aging vets on bloated contracts. With no draft picks, the roster will continue to age and we will continue to have to take castoffs in FA to fill holes.

Three firsts plus is way to much to give up to move up for the 4th QB in the draft IMO. It will also handcuff us from bringing in any weapons for him for the next 2-3 years.
Use the picks to replace overpaid players like Hicks, Travathan, Leno, Robinson..ect. You have to be willing to move on from productive player as they get older and demand top dollar contracts. Also, draft a QB at some point in every draft.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Seen a lot of love for fields in quite frankly I don't get it.

From a scouting report on him:

Fields is a dynamic runner and athlete who a great skill set that includes a strong, accurate arm and some natural passing ability. He still needs a lot of work with pocket awareness. He has to improve passing the face of the rush, handling the blitz, taking check downs instead of forcing passes into coverage downfield, and anticipating receivers coming open rather than waiting to see them come open

I'm sorry but didn't we just leave that shit show?

The scouting report makes him sound like Mitch Trubisky the sequel.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
If we keep trading draft picks, we will continue to be in cap hell. You have to have draft picks to replace aging vets on bloated contracts. With no draft picks, the roster will continue to age and we will continue to have to take castoffs in FA to fill holes.

Three firsts plus is way to much to give up to move up for the 4th QB in the draft IMO. It will also handcuff us from bringing in any weapons for him for the next 2-3 years.
Use the picks to replace overpaid players like Hicks, Travathan, Leno, Robinson..ect. You have to be willing to move on from productive player as they get older and demand top dollar contracts. Also, draft a QB at some point in every draft.
Just to respond to the bolded part, I'd argue Fields is the 2nd QB in the draft. When the season ended, the consensus seemed that Lawrence is #1 and Fields is #2. Then pro days, workouts, and offseason speculation moved Fields down the list.

But for me, pro days aren't shit for a QB. Sure it affects their draft stock, but what they do with pads on is far more important to me than what a QB can do in shorts with no pass rush.

I'm not really amped for Fields, but I think that calling him a lesser prospect than Wilson and Jones is a pile of BS.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just to respond to the bolded part, I'd argue Fields is the 2nd QB in the draft. When the season ended, the consensus seemed that Lawrence is #1 and Fields is #2. Then pro days, workouts, and offseason speculation moved Fields down the list.

But for me, pro days aren't shit for a QB. Sure it affects their draft stock, but what they do with pads on is far more important to me than what a QB can do in shorts with no pass rush.

I'm not really amped for Fields, but I think that calling him a lesser prospect than Wilson and Jones is a pile of BS.
Just to add to this point Mac Jones was a 2nd round pick all season long now he’s projected to go 3rd overall. Wilson was early to mid 1st rounder now he’s #2 overall?

Fields has all unteachable traits you want in a QB everything he lacks is teachable and from all accounts he’s a very smart guy.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I'm not letting these dudes psychologically pants me and throw a shiny new QB in my face, but then we're not good enough to win anything worth a damn for the next x amount of years.

?

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I actually agree with Steven A Smith: if Bears are going to pay a kings ransom to get a rookie QB - I think its better to do it next year because instead of getting the 4th best QB prospect you could get the 1st or 2nd best next year. Also in a perfect world Pace and/or Nagy are gone but with this ownership who fuckin knows. The window on the current iteration of the Bears is already shut, there's not really a rush anymore outside of "how much more can the fanbase stomach bad football"?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Seen a lot of love for fields in quite frankly I don't get it.

From a scouting report on him:

I'm sorry but didn't we just leave that shit show?

The scouting report makes him sound like Mitch Trubisky the sequel.

If every athletic, strong armed QB without pocket presence is going to scare you away, you'll never like any QB. Fields is nothing like Trubisky as a prospect. And those traits and issues are ideal traits you want in a QB and those issues are typical issues from a college QB.