Prisco’s CBS mock: Bears take Davis Mills at 20.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Flame away.

Im definitely in the minority here I’ll bet, but IF they can’t land one of the top 3 after Lawrence and Wilson, I hope they pick Mills. My ideal scenario is not at 20, but a move back into the first or after a trade down. He isn’t going to be there at 52.

Dalton is on a 1 year deal. Next years QB class is supposed to be weak (don’t know if that is true, and neither do the ‘experts’ I guess). They get him on a 5-year rookie contract. The knocks on him are the knee injury at the start of college and lack of experience.

If you only look at the stats and don’t consider the type of offense Stanford runs (and the ‘talent’ at WR), plus his early injury, it’s easy to dismiss him.

He has all the physical traits. He processes well and is very smart. 5 star recruit. Killed it at his pro day in the rain. His problem is, again, lack of reps. Watching tape of him...there’s a reason he’s shooting up boards.

If they can’t land Fields, Lance or Jones, he should be the guy, and I think he will outperform 2 of the top 5.

Or not. But at least there is a young QB with a lot of upside waiting in the wings. Been awhile since people have seen that on this team. He will go before 52, and probably in the 1st.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm also on the D.Mills train but i can't do it at #20. If we can do what you said with either a trade back in the 1st or a trade up from #52 then i'm good with it.

fatkid73

Liked Posts:
I just don't see this guy being a first round pick. He has been inconsistent and injury prone his entire career. He has less experience than Tru had coming out. I hope Pace will not make that mistake again. I would take him MAYBE in the forth. I doubt he will be there at that point because someone will overdraft him. We have too many needs to take such a risk with one of our first three picks.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Prisco out of his damn mind. Even a 3rd rounder is too high for Mills
He’s going to go in the first. QBs are always overvalued. He will be a far better QB than Trask or Mond, who, incidentally, I also think will both go in the 2nd.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
I would be fine with trading back and taking him. Grab some extra picks and snatch him somewhere in the late first/early second.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Better than picking a defender
I think Caleb Farley can drop. Has insane length, closing speed and production. Top 10 if not for the concerns about his back IMO. If medicals clear, will start immediately and can turn into a shut down CB1. Then sneak back and take Mills. I would be fine with that.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I wouldn't pick a guy with Mills stats in the 5th round, let alone in the 1st. Hard Pass.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lowkey, I kinda like Davis Mills. Idk if I'd draft him at 20, I'd probably trade back if possible, but I think he's better than Trask.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Lowkey, I kinda like Davis Mills. Idk if I'd draft him at 20, I'd probably trade back if possible, but I think he's better than Trask.

I'm having a hard time understanding the Mills stuff. I watch the games and I see a very underwhelming prospect. The first issue is obviously 11 starts, but it's even more troubling to me that he's only thrown for more than 1 td in 4 games. Prospects who don't produce in college scare me.

So, then, he's supposedly an upside prospect, but I'm struggling to see that in game. He's got a good arm, but it's nothing special. His best assets are his release and feet. He moves well in and around the pocket. He isn't particularly mobile, nor is he particularly accurate. In fact, he seems to go through stretches where he can't hit the broadside of a barn. Overall I noted he was incredibly streaky. That's not surprising given his lack of playing time. But it's not like he's some mega talent who just didn't get to play. The games I watched I saw a guy who threw a lot of quick passes over the middle, and missed a lot of passes elsewhere. Nothing about him really stood out. I guess he looks like a quarterback? In that he's obviously got some natural arm talent, but I really don't see anything that would warrant more than a mid round pick.

I think Trask and Mond are light years better than him.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think they should take a QB in the 1st 2 days but none of us have seen enough of Mills to make that 1st round projection. That includes the Bear. Mills has the tools and stature but is still a work in progress. He's that QB that rises by rounds up the draft board in the weeks preceding the draft. I wouldn't hate on Pace for doing something like that but I'd question it and Mills will need to sit a year, hone his craft and learn the O.

He has the skill set and size but he's late on throws, meh on ball placement and not consistent enough. Should be be able to clean that up but it's never assured and his reads aren't snappy either. You can ruin a guy like this with early failure and too many hits. Another side of this is with his small sample size, he needs playing time to hone. If drafted, we would liekly be best off moving Foles so Mills could run scout, get reps against an NFL D and pray Dalton stays upright at least most of the year.

Mills has 142 fewer college throws than Mitch did and with a lower completion %. He is entirely a tools and potential pick. He has not played like a 1st rounder prospect. If he goes early, it's because a QB coach thinks he sees what's causing the inconsistency and is sure he can correct it. Whereas they should have probably left Mitch alone outside of minor tweaks, Mills needs to be coached up and can probably take it.

I'd feel much better about Mills etc. in round 2.

Last edited:

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I see Pete Prisco's been huffing paint again...

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Oh man, the guy who probably has to put out a mock draft every week per his editors at CBSSports.com said we are going to take this guy.

I'm so furious.

2Deep

Liked Posts:
I like Mills.
If we get him in 2nd round I will be very happy.
I'm not sure spending the 20th pick is the right value pick.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Better than picking a defender

True but there are some defenders that i really like that could be very useful for us. Like i'm real nervous about C.Farley's back surgery but that kid is an absolute beast and would be tough to not take at #20 for me and another one i love is the Notre Dame kid, Jeremiah Owusu. He's an absolute beast but he needs to be played at the right position, which i think is SS, but they're talking about him for MLB/ILB, S and some are saying edge rusher. He's like a hybrid which is the part that scares me cause i've seen a couple of them get picked high and not be played correctly.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think Caleb Farley can drop. Has insane length, closing speed and production. Top 10 if not for the concerns about his back IMO. If medicals clear, will start immediately and can turn into a shut down CB1. Then sneak back and take Mills. I would be fine with that.

We're on the same page here with Farley. Like i said, he'd be tough to pass on. Also a big G.Newsome fan and think J.Horn could end up the best CB to come out of this draft.