Tape Never Lies Mock Draft (DDP's Epic Rant)

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I have seen the tape. Trust me I am no fan of Leno and happy to see him go. I just thought the rant was over the top, when it was merely about starting a rookie tackle on the right side to get him used to the NFL (which isn't unusual in the NFL) and DDP was like the organization has no effing clue if they let Leno play one more down for this team.

I understand and agree that Leno is bad. But an over the top blowout about starting a rookie tackle on the right side for a little bit (when he had no problem with sitting Fields for a year over Dalton) seemed like a personal vendetta getting in the way of objective sportscasting.

That's all. I like Phil but he certainly has his favorites. He was very pro-Trubisky in his film reviews.
Maybe I'm reading between the lines too much here, Draft Dr. Phil certainly has the platform and willingness to fully speak his mind without having to force people to try and suss out what he's saying.

But the main frustration I think he has (and I share it) is that this shitty off-season is actually very salvageable if the Bears fix left tackle. The Vikings, Packers and Lions all got worse this off-season. The Packers particularly are on a very precarious ledge where a rough start to the season might send the relationship between the front office, Aaron Rodgers and Matt LeFleur off the edge. This division is imminently winnable for a team that wants to seize it.

The Andy Dalton thing can work if the Bears can keep him upright and healthy for the whole season. The Bears are good enough that they can win this shitty division with a few breaks, but they cannot do it with a garbage left tackle. No team can.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
I still think we need TWO Tackles, and if we don't blow our wad on a QB, I think they should take advantage of the deep riches at tackle and get 2 in the first three rounds.

Anybody looking at Spencer Brown from Northern Iowa? Athletics off the chart for an OT, limited experience and competition. If he pans out, could be elite for many years, and can probably be had in the 3rd round.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
That was Minnesota. I wanna say it was Brian O'Neill but I might be wrong on that.
It was fucking Tampa Bay that I was talking about. During the Thursday night's game against the Bucs, Mack was able to sack Tom Brady while still being harassed by Wirfs. And when Wirfs refused to disengage, Mack threw him up and over with just a single arm......just so you know, it was Riley Reiff in the Minnesota game but that was in 2018.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Maybe I'm reading between the lines too much here, Draft Dr. Phil certainly has the platform and willingness to fully speak his mind without having to force people to try and suss out what he's saying.

But the main frustration I think he has (and I share it) is that this shitty off-season is actually very salvageable if the Bears fix left tackle. The Vikings, Packers and Lions all got worse this off-season. The Packers particularly are on a very precarious ledge where a rough start to the season might send the relationship between the front office, Aaron Rodgers and Matt LeFleur off the edge. This division is imminently winnable for a team that wants to seize it.

The Andy Dalton thing can work if the Bears can keep him upright and healthy for the whole season. The Bears are good enough that they can win this shitty division with a few breaks, but they cannot do it with a garbage left tackle. No team can.
You're not saving the season with Andy Dalton and a new LT. Y'all are in that next level of grief, acceptance.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
the main frustration I think he has (and I share it) is that this shitty off-season is actually very salvageable if the Bears fix left tackle.
And I feel it's salvageable regardless of LT, as long as the team improves.

If the defense returns to form(draft CB), the Bears can run the ball (draft RT)and Dalton improves the QB position we have a chance. Alot of ifs, but possible. Any team can improve 2 wins in an off-season.

Montucky

Liked Posts:

If the defense returns to form(draft CB), the Bears can run the ball (draft RT)and Dalton improves the QB position we have a chance. Alot of ifs, but possible. Any team can improve 2 wins in an off-season.
I dont know if you can realistically expect the defense to return to 2018 form unless Khalil Mack and Akiem Hicks find the fountain of youth. I don't even want to get into Robert Quinn and Eddie Jackson sucking it up all over the field.

But the offense can improve dramatically if they protect Andy Dalton. It requires a miracle though, even your hope for a new starting right tackle seems far-fetched right now only a week away from the draft. The idea the Bears will find two new starters at each tackle spot is basically one degree short of impossible.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
DDP has been ranting about Leno on a weekly basis for several years (with vid proof each time mind you). At this point it's escalated so far beyond just having a shitty OT who doesn't play hard.

It's about a much bigger issues of:
NAGY - doesn't realize the problem &/or forces his OL into HIS schemes* (vs. his own established great OL coaches), and doesn't hold LAZY players accountable!! If they don't know what to do more than once that's on NAGY!!
PACE - doesn't realize LT is THE biggest and longest outstanding problem (Nagy aside). It's possible Nagy is oblivious but I doubt it.
OWNERSHIP - not pounding the table for these 2 to address OL long ago as soon as Leno fell off a performance cliff in 2018.

*His pass first offense tries to get the ball out fast to open up the run game vs. the normal opposite. It simply can not work without a very good QB to sling it & read defenses well. Perhaps Nagy thinks blocking is not important, although he's blind to not see the QB pressure and RBs hit behind LOS on a highly regular basis.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
DDP has been ranting about Leno on a weekly basis for several years (with vid proof each time mind you). At this point it's escalated so far beyond just having a shitty OT who doesn't play hard.

It's about a much bigger issues of:
NAGY - doesn't realize the problem &/or forces his OL into HIS schemes* (vs. his own established great OL coaches), and doesn't hold LAZY players accountable!! If they don't know what to do more than once that's on NAGY!!
PACE - doesn't realize LT is THE biggest and longest outstanding problem (Nagy aside). It's possible Nagy is oblivious but I doubt it.
OWNERSHIP - not pounding the table for these 2 to address OL long ago as soon as Leno fell off a performance cliff in 2018.

*His pass first offense tries to get the ball out fast to open up the run game vs. the normal opposite. It simply can not work without a very good QB to sling it & read defenses well. Perhaps Nagy thinks blocking is not important, although he's blind to not see the QB pressure and RBs hit behind LOS on a highly regular basis.
I agree with all of this except the ownership part. If ownership has to step in and force the Bears to do something about left tackle then there's no point having a front office in the first place and they might as well go to the Jerry Jones model. If the general manager and head coach are so incompetent or deluded that they cant see what's going on with the second most important position on offense then they will get themselves fired eventually, since there's just no way to win with a left tackle as bad as Charles Leno Jr.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I dont know if you can realistically expect the defense to return to 2018 form unless Khalil Mack and Akiem Hicks find the fountain of youth.

I don't expect that nor do I think its necessary to get to 9 or 10 wins. Bears went 3rd in PPG allowed in 2018, to 8th in 2019 to 11th last season. They can be formidable if they add some talent this season and Mack/Quinn/Jackson get their act together.

On the offensive side, I do think we need to protect Dalton, but I think a solid running game gets them further than Nagy trying to run his KC lite bullshit. So if they improve either tackle position, I am fine with it. If the BPA at 20 is a road grader RT like Teven Jenkins that would be fine with me as the running game immediately improves. If a great CB falls, then you take him. And if alot of guys fall, then trade down and try to pick up multiple players.

I am enjoying the football discussion on this thread. Don't get me wrong if a LT falls that grades out well, RUN to the podium at 20. But don't take a lesser player just for the sake of replacing Leno. If we draft talented players, regardless of position, things will work out.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I don't expect that nor do I think its necessary to get to 9 or 10 wins. Bears went 3rd in PPG allowed in 2018, to 8th in 2019 to 11th last season. They can be formidable if they add some talent this season and Mack/Quinn/Jackson get their act together.

On the offensive side, I do think we need to protect Dalton, but I think a solid running game gets them further than Nagy trying to run his KC lite bullshit. So if they improve either tackle position, I am fine with it. If the BPA at 20 is a road grader RT like Teven Jenkins that would be fine with me as the running game immediately improves. If a great CB falls, then you take him. And if alot of guys fall, then trade down and try to pick up multiple players.

I am enjoying the football discussion on this thread. Don't get me wrong if a LT falls that grades out well, RUN to the podium at 20. But don't take a lesser player just for the sake of replacing Leno. If we draft talented players, regardless of position, things will work out.
This I cannot help but agree with. As tempting as drafting for need is long-term it always feels better to just draft the best player available. Its a salary cap league, the turnover is just insane every year. Finding cheap high level-starters at one position makes addressing other positions that much easier.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
NAGY - doesn't realize the problem &/or forces his OL into HIS schemes
Leno sucks, don't get me wrong, but I think Nagy has exacerbated the OL problems during his tenure. I do not feel the players understand the finer points of execution within his schemes. Zone schemes rely on alot of timing and I have consistently seen on tape players leaving the double team late and not picking up the LB.

Great coaches like Belicheck focus on exact details with guys in the perfect position. I do not think we have that kind of coach at all. Our coach is sloppy and so is our offense. There is no doubt he is a little short on talent, but sloppy play runs rampant thru his offense.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

You guys are getting sucked back in. The coaching sucks.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Well it got shit on because better defenses just stacked the box and dared the Bears to pass the ball. I liked what I saw out of Alex Bars and Sam Mustipher but I also agree that anyone who thinks the interior line is just fine and doesn't require any attention might be in for a rude awakening. Still, the tackle situation is absolutely desperate at this point so I'm not sure they really have the resources to go scrounging for guards and centers when there is a crisis at both left and right tackle.
Which got shit on when they started playing better defenses. The whole OL outside of Daniels needs to be looked at. Whitehair is average and will most likely be at RG this year, new position.
Exactly. What I like to highlight about the last 4 Bears wins last season is this:

The OL and Trubisky were EXECUTING very effectively.

That wasn't happening before. They were facing inferior defenses. But they were NFL defenses and the Bears were executing consistently. You can improve and win any given game if you're executing consistently.

But anyway, yes, the Bears need OTs. And I most hope they get a LT and play them at LT.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
You're not saving the season with Andy Dalton and a new LT. Y'all are in that next level of grief, acceptance.

No, but we can build towards the future. Maybe we can see what Nagy's offense looks like with a competent QB running it (not exceptional, just competent). Maybe getting a new LT will have us set there for a decade. The alternatives are make the team better, or don't. I prefer make the team better. (Sadly, some of Pace's choices this offseason haven't done that.)