49ers deciding between Mac Jones and Trey Lance at #3

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
This trade by Lynch is looking worse and worse.

Just should have stayed put at 12 and let the draft fall to him.

Now he absolutely has to pick his poison at #3 that he paid a kings ransom for.
Yeah he put himself in a position to get fired if this qb doesn't get him a super bowl. He better hope he picks the right guy.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:

I think this whole story is made up. I believe at worst, the 49ers are picking between Justin Fields and Zach Wilson, not Trey Lance and Mac Jones. "Sources say" Ian is making shit up.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
To be generational, wouldn't he have to be undoubtedly better than kelce, kittle and gronk?

A. You may have missed the WAAAAAAYYYYYY premature line.
B. Or there was the word potential
C. Kelce and Gronk have been doing it a long time. I'm talking about the next batch.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I think this whole story is made up. I believe at worst, the 49ers are picking between Justin Fields and Zach Wilson, not Trey Lance and Mac Jones. "Sources say" Ian is making shit up.
You wouldn't think Fields is the surest bet at #3 and there is no way you would trade that much for anybody else.

Got to love Lynch. Had his pick of the top QB in the draft in 2017, takes Solomon Thomas. Now he gives up 3 first rounders for the 3rd QB on the board. Whoever it is, it has to be a homerun, and then you have to field a good team because you mortgaged the future. Its a tough position that was self-created. If he drafts a bust it will be on the worst draft moves, IF NOT THE WORST, of all time, considering the capital that was paid for the position knowing you are picking 3rd best.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
You wouldn't think Fields is the surest bet at #3 and there is no way you would trade that much for anybody else.

Got to love Lynch. Had his pick of the top QB in the draft in 2017, takes Solomon Thomas. Now he gives up 3 first rounders for the 3rd QB on the board. Whoever it is, it has to be a homerun, and then you have to field a good team because you mortgaged the future. Its a tough position that was self-created. If he drafts a bust it will be on the worst draft moves, IF NOT THE WORST, of all time, considering the capital that was paid for the position knowing you are picking 3rd best.
You're absolutely right about the price being paid for the #3 QB being taken. Could potentially ruin the organization. This is why I think someone in the Jets organization has told him they are taking Wilson and he knows he's getting Fields.

I would think this is "illegal" lol.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

LOL...... one of the two or three most trustworthy NFL reporters reports something that doesn't jive with your preconceived notions so he has to be "making shit up."

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Bookmarked.

Doesn't mean he isn't being fed a line of BS. Everyone knows that happens all the time this time of the year. I just think it's hillarious that because you disagree he has to be making it up.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Doesn't mean he isn't being fed a line of BS. Everyone knows that happens all the time this time of the year. I just think it's hillarious that because you disagree he has to be making it up.
Making things up for clicks, being fed a load of shit - whatever.

Are you Ian Rapaport's fucking dad?

Montucky

Liked Posts:

Yeah this is how I am starting to feel. The hype on all these quarterbacks is crazy, I dont think any of them are the caliber of prospect they are touted as. That include Trevor Lawrence.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Or he's fed deliberate misinformation. I don't think Adam Schefter and Ian Rapaport cut fantasies out of whole cloth (other definitely do, no doubt) but sometimes the information they are fed by teams or front offices is wrong.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Or he's fed deliberate misinformation. I don't think Adam Schefter and Ian Rapaport cut fantasies out of whole cloth (other definitely do, no doubt) but sometimes the information they are fed by teams or front offices is wrong.

No dude..... if @halftime disagrees they're just making it up. He's the guy will all the answers!

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
No dude..... if @halftime disagrees they're just making it up. He's the guy will all the answers!
I'm sorry I offended your sense of respect for Ian Rapaport's journalistic integrity.

Can we move on?

I do not believe that SF is taking Lance or Jones, over Fields or Wilson.

Last edited:

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I think as Bears fans, if we want a chance at Justin Fields, we gotta hope the Niners actually take Trey Lance. I mean, I know it's all grain of salt at this point, even the 49ers rumors, but if they are truly deciding between Lance and Jones; there is a rumor out there that the Falcons are interested in either Lance or else they'll go with Pitts. So, if you operate on the assumption that these rumors are true, then you want QBs to go top 3 only, and not top 4. Teams (Den, NE, WAS) may become more desperate for the 5th QB than they would if there are 2 options on the board.

That being said, the closer to the draft it gets the more the rumors tend to NOT be true. But then again, Ben Allbright (who is decently connected) said last night that SF is definitely NOT going Fields at 3. Of course, maybe the Jets are going Fields at 2, and SF will get Wilson and both teams are duping everyone.

Either way, if Fields is the target, they probably can't get up to 4 or 5. May be able to get to #6 as the Dolphins could again take a ton of picks and move back up for a Devonta Smith if necessary. But the target range is probably still closer to 8-9 (Carolina, Denver) as Detroit isn't going to allow the Bears to use their pick to get a franchise QB at 7, but they could allow the Patriots or Broncos to do so. The Bears need everything to break perfectly to get Fields and for other teams not to like him as much as they do. Still seems farfetched, but "you're saying there's a chance!"except th
Except for the part where the 49ers are not deciding between anyone. That decision has long been made. The scouting process is over. If you're still going back and forth the week of the draft there's something fundamentally flawed in your process.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I kinda feel like all of the top 5 QBs will be gone early.

The consensus is that all 5 have a first round grade and it appears 3 will be gone in the first 3 picks. That makes it a race for the final 2 for QB needy teams. I'd add, with different systems, scouts and with this just being a weird year (smaller season, opt outs and no Combine) teams will have different values. There's a chance that 2 QBs are remaining, but the guys that are left are actually fairly high on someone's board.

Part of me thinks all 5 go in the first 8 picks. I think Atlanta at #4, Cincinnati at #5 and Miami at #6 are all big trade down candidates. The Lions are there at #7 and Carolina at #8 there have to be some thinking at least one of them will go QB, so there will be a race to get in front of them.

For you Bears fans I'm thinking the trade up scenario will cost too much, so you'll go a different way at #20 (CB, WR, T, trade back, etc...) then look to add Mills/Trask/Mond in subsequent picks.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
With Lawrence absolutely locked at #1, you know Wilson has to be #2. No need for misinformation when you KNOW your guy is available. All the mocks have had Wilson at 2 for weeks.

So SF has to know they gave up the world for their choice of Fields, Jones or Lance.

You would think it has to be Fields to give up that much for the #3 slot.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
This only matters to me if the Bears are guaranteed to draft which ever one the 49'rs do not pick.

baredown

Liked Posts:
Except for the part where the 49ers are not deciding between anyone. That decision has long been made. The scouting process is over. If you're still going back and forth the week of the draft there's something fundamentally flawed in your process.
This! The weeks leading up to the draft are just a giant mass of speculation & rumor that gets distilled into "substance", always attributed to unidentified sources. Once the draft actually happens, that "substance" also always turns out to be BS. The 49ers have known since the day they moved up to #3 who they're taking there. Hell, at this point, I would guess the Bears have a really good idea who they'll take at #20 if they stay there....

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
This! The weeks leading up to the draft are just a giant mass of speculation & rumor that gets distilled into "substance", always attributed to unidentified sources. Once the draft actually happens, that "substance" also always turns out to be BS. The 49ers have known since the day they moved up to #3 who they're taking there. Hell, at this point, I would guess the Bears have a really good idea who they'll take at #20 if they stay there....
Spot on. Schefty is obviously a reputable guy but all one has to is look at his history the week of and even the night of the draft to see these types of tweets are common place. At the end of the day he's an ESPN employee. He does a good job of creating buzz which help drive ratings for the draft on ESPN.