Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
If only I could google that

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Except for QB, ironically.
Lawrence is a unique prospect. He's been the clear cut #1 for almost his entire life, so he's far from normal. I'd add Wilson as an extremely unique prospect in terms of throwing and processing abilities displayed.

When it comes to the QBs next year it makes sense we have more questions than answers. Right now it's limited tape and comparables. Personally I'm thinking there will be 1-3 QBs that pop up sorta like Joe Burrow did his last year. Add in the the annual hype train with the position and we'll end up with 3ish going in the first round. That's far for this years 5+, but it's going to happen.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Didn't Joe Horn play most of if not his whole career with the Saints? Jaycee Horn?
i had joe horn in fantasy, the dude who hid a cellphone prop in the foam of the uprights for his TD celebration....imagine knowing you're going to score and setting up the celebration ahead of time

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I think we have fallen for the hype on this class. If you really take a step back and look none of them are that great of prospect. Even Trevor Lawrence isn't anywhere near the caliber of prospect Andrew Luck was ten years ago.
I'd respectively disagree that Luck was far better than Lawrence, but that's for another debate.

For me I look at how many QBs does Vegas think will be drafted. The line is at 5.5, so they are assuming Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Jones and Lance are locks with the potential of another. The last time there were 6 QBs drafted in the first was the legendary 83 group (Marino, Elway, Kelly and some other guys). Since that draft there have been 37 drafts with their own QB hype train and we've only gotten to 5 twice (I think).

For me, the QB hype of this class is real. Lawrence and Wilson are exceptionally gifted and great prospects. Jones, Lance and Field can all look great depending on landing spot. Even guys like Mond, Trask, Mills and Newman have flashed where I see them as not far off of Drew Lock (who admittedly might be a bust, but was still drafted in the 2nd and handed the keys a year later).

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
Lawrence is a unique prospect. He's been the clear cut #1 for almost his entire life, so he's far from normal. I'd add Wilson as an extremely unique prospect in terms of throwing and processing abilities displayed.

When it comes to the QBs next year it makes sense we have more questions than answers. Right now it's limited tape and comparables. Personally I'm thinking there will be 1-3 QBs that pop up sorta like Joe Burrow did his last year. Add in the the annual hype train with the position and we'll end up with 3ish going in the first round. That's far for this years 5+, but it's going to happen.

Oh it'll definitely happen. The QB over-hype is here to stay.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
I'd respectively disagree that Luck was far better than Lawrence, but that's for another debate.

For me I look at how many QBs does Vegas think will be drafted. The line is at 5.5, so they are assuming Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Jones and Lance are locks with the potential of another. The last time there were 6 QBs drafted in the first was the legendary 83 group (Marino, Elway, Kelly and some other guys). Since that draft there have been 37 drafts with their own QB hype train and we've only gotten to 5 twice (I think).

For me, the QB hype of this class is real. Lawrence and Wilson are exceptionally gifted and great prospects. Jones, Lance and Field can all look great depending on landing spot. Even guys like Mond, Trask, Mills and Newman have flashed where I see them as not far off of Drew Lock (who admittedly might be a bust, but was still drafted in the 2nd and handed the keys a year later).

Lance is clearly over-hyped. Started 17 games in college and threw for over 200 yards only 4 times, and that was in the FCS! It would be quintessential Pace to move up and take Lance. I'm getting RGIII flashbacks.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Not a rumor but I still think Denver drafts QB. I think Teddy B covers their ass if their guy doesn't fall to them, but Teddy B won't prevent them from drafting a QB; and he shouldn't either.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How do you figure he improved every year? His passing yards and TD's decreased 3 straight seasons from his sophomore year to his senior year? How is that showing improvement?

Now his completion % did increase but still only completed 59% of his passes with more than 1300 attempts (and his career high was only 63%.

I mean hell, his career numbers are no better than Shea Patterson's from Michigan.
Your on to something here. We all know QB's from OSU are bums, but 6th round QB's from Michigan are gold.

Ryan pace picks Shea Patterson, QB Michigan in the 6th.
Ryan Pace......super genious

my new #calledit

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
Your on to something here. We all know QB's from OSU are bums, but 6th round QB's from Michigan are gold.

Ryan pace picks Shea Patterson, QB Michigan in the 6th.
Ryan Pace......super genious

my new #calledit

You may be closer than you think

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Lance is clearly over-hyped. Started 17 games in college and threw for over 200 yards only 4 times, and that was in the FCS! It would be quintessential Pace to move up and take Lance. I'm getting RGIII flashbacks.
Just to play devil's advocate:

- His 17 games were not all on him. He was ready to go this year, but the team didn't play.
- The ND State offense has a lot of pro concepts (under center, west coast, audibles, etc...) and transitions well.
- ND State was a run first team who did will all their games in 2019. Not much of a reason to air it out.

A couple if additional thoughts:

- Sure he just played in 17 games, but never threw a pick. 288 attempts and not once had a brain fart that would have caused a turnover. That's not bad.
- His 2019 season was better than any of Carson Wentz' seasons.
- Physically he checks all the boxes. Big, strong, fast and has shown to be very efficient within a pro offense.

To be clear, I'm not a 'Lance Lover', but I see why a team would have him highly rated on their board.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Betting line for the #3 pick has haulted/closed. There was a spike in the Lance odds before it happened, so I'm guessing there's a leak and he's the guy.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Oh it'll definitely happen. The QB over-hype is here to stay.
And with players retiring (Rivers/Brees), some getting close (Ben/Ryan/Fitz) and some turning into busts (Mitch, probably others, but everyone just wanted to see him) there's going to be more demand.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
Just to play devil's advocate:

- His 17 games were not all on him. He was ready to go this year, but the team didn't play.
- The ND State offense has a lot of pro concepts (under center, west coast, audibles, etc...) and transitions well.
- ND State was a run first team who did will all their games in 2019. Not much of a reason to air it out.

A couple if additional thoughts:

- Sure he just played in 17 games, but never threw a pick. 288 attempts and not once had a brain fart that would have caused a turnover. That's not bad.
- His 2019 season was better than any of Carson Wentz' seasons.
- Physically he checks all the boxes. Big, strong, fast and has shown to be very efficient within a pro offense.

To be clear, I'm not a 'Lance Lover', but I see why a team would have him highly rated on their board.

All great points. But the fact he didn't play last season makes this too small of a sample size to risk trading 1st round picks. 17 games in the FCS with a powerhouse team around him.