Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If the offensive line was made to "look better" by Trubisky last year, Fields will make them look like all pros

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pace should have drafted a white QB

Yes, this is called "bait."
But you're not the master baiter. R&S doesn't realize he's been baiting for years.

Hard to know which of the top QBs will do best over time but to get a guy in that conversation for what we paid is a big win. I thought Fields should have gone in the top 3 picks. I won't pretend to know which of these guys has the best career but Fields has a very low fail potential.

Last edited:

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
You had a blue chip QB available. You NEVER pass on a chance for one like that when you need a QB.
i agree, I was happy they took him and wanted them to take him but I also think it's not a guarantee that he's successful.

the dude can run like an actual running back though and is more athletic than Trubisky and is way better at deeper throws and has a stronger arm IMO.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Did they get Deshaun Watson or Dwayne Haskins? That’s the question.
Funny you bring up Watson cause allot of the same concerns people had with Watson they have with fields.

DammitFullerTurnUrHead!

Liked Posts:
so what you're saying is Fields is inconsistent? He shredded the better D and struggled with the worse D
No I’m saying your logic is faulty. Mahomes looked awful against Iowa State. Watson looked bad against Troy (of all schools) .You’d be hard pressed to find a good QB in the pros who didn’t struggle a few times in college, and 2 bad games out of 22 is far from inconsistent.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fields is actually the better prospect. Physically and game managing. What happens in the NFL may not relate but he's a top 10 pick in any draft but this one.

Fudrucker212

Liked Posts:
They put the cart before the horse. The conditions for Justin Fields to succeed are not present on the Bears, from the players surrounding him on offense to the coaches tasked with developing him. Had free agency gone a different way maybe it would be a little different, but the Bears basically sat out of free agency for the third straight year (not counting Robert Quinn, who I'd rather forget exists).

And now there is no first round pick next year to grab that left tackle or wide receiver prospect that they are desperately going to be wanting to put around Justin Fields.
Do you really believe this? Honest question. Building your team without a QB is pointless.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
i agree, I was happy they took him and wanted them to take him but I also think it's not a guarantee that he's successful.

the dude can run like an actual running back though and is more athletic than Trubisky and is way better at deeper throws and has a stronger arm IMO.

I think we all know that. (or should) But no reason we all can't be happy as hell today. For the first time in years I have legit hope in this franchise.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The opportunity to draft a potential franchise QB does not happen often. You have to take the chance. The franchise QB makes the team, not the other way ‘round
I don’t agree with that last part. Very, very few “franchise” QBs can carry a team that isn’t also quality around them. You need a good team to pair with that QB.

Thankfully, Pace didn’t have to give up the farm to get him, so it is still possible.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t agree with that last part. Very, very few “franchise” QBs can carry a team that isn’t also quality around them. You need a good team to pair with that QB.

Thankfully, Pace didn’t have to give up the farm to get him, so it is still possible.
I don’t disagree that QB need a supporting cast, but the supporting cast is easier to find than the franchise QB

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Did they get Deshaun Watson or Dwayne Haskins? That’s the question.
Haskins didn't have 1/4 of the pedigree that Fields has. He's a lot closer to Watson as far as accompliments + physical talent. Fields is even bigger/stronger than Watson.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
The Bears should've traded back in the first and taken an offensive tackle, built up more picks to build a better overall team in order to capitalize on the Packers impending implosion to win the division in 2021-22. Then, next draft, they push their chips in and move up for a quarterback with the offensive line set and the receiver corps well on its way to Life After Allen Robinson.

Lots of good offensive linemen slipped and the Bears could've been in a prime spot to grab them. This draft is deeper than it is top-heavy, adding a third round pick (or two) would've done them a load of good.
This is what I thought they'd do but only because it was looking like there might be a run on QBs at the top and none of the top 5 would get by #8. Obviously that didn't happen. If you've got a chance at a guy who would be the #1 QB prospect in most drafts who got nitpicked to shit by draft analysts, you take it. It's almost exactly reminiscent of how Watson fell behind both Trubisky and Mahomes, both of whom didn't have the resume he did. Lawrence is a different story but Wilson/Lance going 2/3 over Fields is a head scratcher to me.

More importantly, you look at the hope you've given the fans, the city, the franchise, everything. Taking a tackle at #20 or something like that. It would have been fine and maybe Dalton would have been fine but now you've really got something to be excited about.

This feels a whole lot different than Trubisky. When we took him, it was like "ok well let's hope for the best." This time, at least to me, it feels like we got a real gamer. Could be wrong but time will tell. Watson said that he'll make the 11 teams that passed on him regret it and I get that same vibe from Fields.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears should've traded back in the first and taken an offensive tackle, built up more picks to build a better overall team in order to capitalize on the Packers impending implosion to win the division in 2021-22. Then, next draft, they push their chips in and move up for a quarterback with the offensive line set and the receiver corps well on its way to Life After Allen Robinson.

Lots of good offensive linemen slipped and the Bears could've been in a prime spot to grab them. This draft is deeper than it is top-heavy, adding a third round pick (or two) would've done them a load of good.

This is an incredibly poor take that few teams actually ever follow. Fields can get acclimated to the NFL this year and will play only if he is good enough. There is talent at the skill positions and if we grab an RT/LT in the 2nd then we can have a decent line. Then next year when we have close to 100m in cap space we can build the team around Fields further while he at least has gotten his feet wet. Waiting to draft a rookie in 2021 would just delay the development of said rookie further.

Further after the draft will be another waive of FA as teams make cuts in light of the draft. We still have the flexibility of cutting a combination of Graham/Leno/Hicks and signing ARob long term to create about 31 million in cap space. Not saying we will do all of that but point is if more help on O becomes available after the draft then I expect Pace to take advantage of that fact.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The way I see it Fields was the number 2 QB in this class all they way through the college season. Everyone “knew” he’d go #2 back in January. It wasn’t until he was over analyzed (and the epilepsy news broke) that he fell to #11.

The Bears got an absolute steal IMO. He’d be #1 overall next year and most drafts and I couldn’t be happier.

Honestly he and Lawrence have been 1 and 2 since High School.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
You had a blue chip QB available. You NEVER pass on a chance for one like that when you need a QB.
Exactly. Not to mention does the guy you are responding to even watch football, he basically destroyed his own point. Because so many linemen dropped out of the first AND we didn't have to give up our 2nd or 3rd rounders this year (it what is also considered one of the deepest linemen drafts in history) we can absolutely find a day 1 starter at OT in the 2nd. Jenkins, Davis, Mayfield, Radunz, Little, Cosmi, Eichenberg, and many more are still on the board.

This was absolutely the draft to swing on a QB with the depth every where else and as I pointed out in several other threads, next years QB's crop is NOT on par with this years. Justin Fields would be the #1 pick in next years draft if he stayed another year, no questions asked.