So who thinks we made the wrong 1st rnd. selection

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears should've traded back in the first and taken an offensive tackle, built up more picks to build a better overall team in order to capitalize on the Packers impending implosion to win the division in 2021-22. Then, next draft, they push their chips in and move up for a quarterback with the offensive line set and the receiver corps well on its way to Life After Allen Robinson.

Lots of good offensive linemen slipped and the Bears could've been in a prime spot to grab them. This draft is deeper than it is top-heavy, adding a third round pick (or two) would've done them a load of good.
Draft falls in just about the best possible way for the Bears

And look at this shit

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not going after Fields would have been a monumental risk...not the other way around.

You have a draft where the Bears had the ability to move up without destroying their draft and 5 potential starting QBs in the mix.

We have Foles and Dalton who is on a one year deal. Explain to me how you don't go after one of the QBs this year.....

And no, you don't wait til the second round. Franchise QBs are rarer than hen's teeth after the first round.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Draft falls in just about the best possible way for the Bears

And look at this shit
Not to mention the fact that next years QB class looks pretty trash in comparison to this one. Fields would hands down be the #1 pick in the upcoming class.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I don’t agree with that last part. Very, very few “franchise” QBs can carry a team that isn’t also quality around them. You need a good team to pair with that QB.

Thankfully, Pace didn’t have to give up the farm to get him, so it is still possible.

No I’m saying your logic is faulty. Mahomes looked awful against Iowa State. Watson looked bad against Troy (of all schools) .You’d be hard pressed to find a good QB in the pros who didn’t struggle a few times in college, and 2 bad games out of 22 is far from inconsistent.
i'm an engineer, i don't have any faulty logic, logic is my entire job. The point was if you happen to watch the game i posted, he air mailed several routine throws, which precisely what Trubisky did. I get QB's have bad games, I have watched all his games and have seen patterns where he struggles...have you watched them all? Did you attend Chicago public schools by chance?

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Won't know for years...

Something about 'OSU quarterbacks being bums in the NFL' and the bears being 'the place QBs go to die' makes me think the kid can be a stud here...

Or take Pace's 4th life in comical fashion--because the dude is obviously a cat.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What a fucked up baiter thread title for a such an overwhelmingly positive event. Why put a stink on it?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
any or all of the 1st round QB's could bust out, i think that's what some on here are saying while they're being shouted down ...if you're logical you can check back in past drafts and see the sheer number of hyped kids who have busted.

This is all a crapshoot, I think you should all watch this and tell me what you think

this is the closest thing to an NFL defense he saw...what other great defenses did he see and how did he do vs. Northwestern? I'm just trying to point out Trubisky did the same thing, feasted on crap teams and struggled vs Stanford.

now watch this...

there are obviously many variables introduced...offensive lines of both QB's...Weapons they're throwing to etc...but watch this with an open mind and tell me out of these 2 QB's made faster decisions and was more accurate....to my eyes there were a lot of jailbreaks with Alabama vs. Ohio State, I don't think the Ohio State o-line did Fields a lot of
favors...

If you notice to slow down the pass rush they had him roll out later in the game and he started playing stronger, i wonder who else was good at rolling out who Nagy tried to turn into a pocket passer.
Good and bad, for sure. Strengths and weaknesses of a young QB. Thanks for the videos. As far as Fields:

I see a young quarterback who keeps his eyes downfield while in the pocket, even as the pocket collapses, then knows when to pull it down and run, even if the result isn't always successful.

I see a young quarterback who takes what the defense gives him both on the ground and through the air, and takes it when it's available.

I see a young quarterback who can see when a receiver's back end is going to be open, and throws him open.

I see a young quarterback who struggles at times with going through progressions and finding the open receiver.

I think Fields is incredibly gifted athletically, and has a dynamic running ability. He also has an NFL-ready arm, and his first inclination is to drop back into the pocket and look downfield, something that a lot of athletic QBs have to learn at the pro level. He already has that tendency, though, so that's good. But he also doesn't mind pulling it down and running if he doesn't see a guy open, something that will come in handy on third down and against man defenses.

But it's also clear that he sometimes latches onto a receiver and simply waits for that receiver to get open, or sees if he can throw that receiver open, instead of moving on to Option 2 or Option 3. He seems rushed and overwhelmed at points. His internal clock will need to move more efficiently at the pro level.

His ability to go through progressions and recognize a defense at the pro level is very unknown, and that's O.K. It doesn't mean he won't be good at it, just that we don't know exactly what that will look like.

I'm not saying that Fields will be Mahomes, but we have to remember that Mahomes was similar, coming out of the Texas Tech system. His ability to read an NFL defense was a huge unknown, because Mahomes simply didn't have to go through progressions much as a college QB. Obviously, that ended up being one of his strengths at the pro level, but there's no way you could come to that conclusion from looking at his Texas Tech tape. Sean Peyton in a recent interview revealed that they only found out how analytical his mind was after meeting with him on campus and quizzing him on defensive concepts and what he'd do against them. I'd be interested to see what Fields said to similar quizzing that I'm sure he went through.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I see a young quarterback who keeps his eyes downfield while in the pocket, even as the pocket collapses, then knows when to pull it down and run.

I see a young quarterback who takes what the defense gives him both on the ground and through the air, and takes it.

I see a young quarterback who can see when a defender's back end is going to be open, and throws him open.

I see a young quarterback who struggles at times with going through progressions and finding the open receiver.

I think Fields is incredibly gifted athletically, and has a dynamic running ability. He also has an NFL-ready arm, and his first inclination is to drop back into the pocket and look downfield, something that a lot of athletic QBs have to learn at the pro level. He already has that tendency, though, so that's good. But he also doesn't mind pulling it down and running if he doesn't see a guy open, something that will come in handy on third down and against man defenses.

But it's also clear that he sometimes latches onto a receiver and simply waits for that receiver to get open, or sees if he can throw that receiver open, instead of moving on to Option 2 or Option 3. He seems rushed and overwhelmed at points. His internal clock will need to move more efficiently at the pro level.

His ability to go through progressions and recognize a defense at the pro level is very unknown, and that's O.K. It doesn't mean he won't be good at it, just that we don't know exactly what that will look like.

I'm not saying that Fields will be Mahomes, but we have to remember that Mahomes was similar, coming out of the Texas Tech system. His ability to read an NFL defense was a huge unknown, because Mahomes simply didn't have to go through progressions much as a college QB. Obviously, that ended up being one of his strengths at the pro level, but there's no way you could come to that conclusion from looking at his Texas Tech tape. Sean Peyton in a recent interview revealed that they only found out how analytical his mind was after meeting with him on campus and quizzing him on defensive concepts and what he'd do against them. I'd be interested to see what Fields said to similar quizzing that I'm sure he went through.
love this analysis....my concern is that the Dos Amigos will want to rush their new toy onto the field to show ownership they were right and not let him learn. Mahomes even admitted he wasn't truly able to read a defense until mid way through his super bowl season.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
love this analysis....my concern is that the Dos Amigos will want to rush their new toy onto the field to show ownership they were right and not let him learn. Mahomes even admitted he wasn't truly able to read a defense until mid way through his super bowl season.
I would definitely advocate for a Kansas City model of introducing Fields into the NFL. Let Dalton/Foles take the reins during Fields' rookie year. Let Fields learn in the QB room, then emerge into the spotlight only when ready.

I don't think anyone would argue against the fact that KC had a better QB room and coaches than the Bears currently have, but you work with what you've got. That would seem to be the model that they should pursue for Fields' development.

I actually think that's Pace and Nagy's plan. I think they're much safer than others believe. Pace is a McCaskey now, and Nagy will be allowed to see his hand-picked QB come through.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Crazy we were able to land him. There is a reason no one trades a bunch of picks to move up and get OL - they can be found through out the draft.

and I get it, Leno should be upgraded, but it's not dire. We can live with some more holding and false starts until another rook takes his place eventually. It's not like he's gonna just get our qb killed immediately

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You know, I wonder about this a lot. There are plenty of examples of guys who rode the pine for a period of time and then went on to have great careers. But I'm wondering how much of that is correlation vs causation. E.g. if Rodgers comes out starting right away, what does his career look like? Impossible to know. I guess what makes me wonder most is how much can someone really "learn" without live snaps. I'm not suggesting they throw him to the wolves week 1, I'm just questioning the efficacy of sitting behind someone for a period of time.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Many factors in this selection:

1). You know a QB was going to NE at 15. So did the rest of the NFL. This was close to the last chance to grab a QB with a starting grade.

2). Rarely does a QB with a grade this high fall to #11. It was great value in a deep class.

3). The Bears aren't going 4-12 anytime soon. A top 5 selection isn't in their immediate future. This was a top 5 selection they got at 11.

4). Trade value was fair. Considering where the Bears finish next season we are looking at about -400 of draft capital according to the trade charts. That's a mid 2nd round selection and below the going rate when you are trading up for a QB.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
The Bears should've traded back in the first and taken an offensive tackle, built up more picks to build a better overall team in order to capitalize on the Packers impending implosion to win the division in 2021-22. Then, next draft, they push their chips in and move up for a quarterback with the offensive line set and the receiver corps well on its way to Life After Allen Robinson.

Lots of good offensive linemen slipped and the Bears could've been in a prime spot to grab them. This draft is deeper than it is top-heavy, adding a third round pick (or two) would've done them a load of good.
I’m sure it’s been said already but it was a strong QB class and Fields was a great prospect. You can’t pass up on that hoping to get the chance in the near future. How does next years QB class looks? No one really knows but a lot of people say it’s weak. I guarantee you there will be solid OL prospects next year, there always is.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I'm just questioning the efficacy of sitting behind someone for a period of time.
Its player dependent. If you ran a pro system in college you may be a day one starter. But if you didn't, or have mechanical or footwork flaws, much better to work on that while not under pressure.

Trubisky was never going to be the guy, but his development was stunted starting when and how he did. He really didn't stat going through his progressions until his 3rd season. Look at Josh Allen who finally turned the corner in year #3. Tannenhill never reached his potential until he left Miami.

Some QBs are talented enough to get by in year one. But when we are talking about QBs playing 10+ years now, easily, sitting for a year is nothing.