So who thinks we made the wrong 1st rnd. selection

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who thinks we made the wrong choice and why? Just curious
I mean, Mac Jones 77.7% completions gives me some pause.

That's Aikman like. Jim Kelly. Rich Gannon.

I think we might have been sidetracked by the 5 tools and "right fit."

And right fit goes beyond scheme I racial world. I think Fields is right guy for team morale right now after Trubisky and with Jones baggage.

But...if I'm a GM I don't sleep well with Mac Jones taken behind my guy after missing on Watson/Mahomes already.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Looking at highlights I think it was a good choice. I can't compare to other college QBs but if Mitch survived behind the Bears online Fields should too. To whatever little extent the offense was built for Trubisky's abilities. Fields seem to have all those abilities better.

Whether or not it was a smart choice will depend on the rest of the draft. If the Bears continue to make BS offensive moves to do nothing but claim they did something (oh look, another Pace win at a late round WR that looks good but for some odd reason won't see the field for years) it was a very bad choice. They got a QB, now it's time to fix the oline.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:

And right fit goes beyond scheme I racial world. I think Fields is right guy for team morale right now after Trubisky and with Jones baggage.

But...if I'm a GM I don't sleep well with Mac Jones taken behind my guy after missing on Watson/Mahomes already.
You can’t compare

None of those QBs you mentioned ever came close to hitting 77.7 completion %.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
the only thing i don't like at this point...you could throw leno back out there...you could start Goodwin at times or make him slot...but i think we need a CB desperately and don't have enough cash for a FA.....we're already out next year's 1 and 4....not much else you can mortgage for next year. i feel at this point it's imperative to trade back and add a pick with either the 2nd or 3rd

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The GM did well. The pick and player are promising. Now let's see if the coach(es) can develop him.
I have zero faith in Matt Nagy.
The 2nd round should be about Charles Leno's replacement.

I don't think Leno's immediate replacement is available...I think there are a couple immediate starting RTs available.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think Leno's immediate replacement is available...I think there are a couple immediate starting RTs available.
So this, but we still get a lot of posts about Leno's instant replacement after round 1. Not pointing at you, Tex.

Not an absolute impossibility but the best you can hope for is an up and comer you might be able to develop. Can get a projected starting Rt in 2 if you're lucky. A guy like Brown might be a nice pick if if our line coach sees the traits to elevate him in a year or so.

With Leno it's about keeping his feet and effort. I'm hoping a contract year lights his fire.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Understood. I liked Jones and his accuracy as well. There is no doubt the Fields selection carries risk.

I think the grade and value was just too high at 11 to pass up. QBs with those tools don't drop that low very often at all.

Just like those edge rushers that come off the board early every year. Plenty of them bust out. But those are the guys that sometimes turn into those double digit sack machines that you can't manufacture. And that is Fields. You don't find guys like him lying around later in the draft. Upside at QB has a ton of value in the NFL and the Bears capitalized.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
the only thing i don't like at this point...you could throw leno back out there...you could start Goodwin at times or make him slot...but i think we need a CB desperately and don't have enough cash for a FA.....we're already out next year's 1 and 4....not much else you can mortgage for next year. i feel at this point it's imperative to trade back and add a pick with either the 2nd or 3rd
We definitely need a CB.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I’m sure it’s been said already but it was a strong QB class and Fields was a great prospect. You can’t pass up on that hoping to get the chance in the near future. How does next years QB class looks? No one really knows but a lot of people say it’s weak. I guarantee you there will be solid OL prospects next year, there always is.
Well if there are good offensive line prospects next year the Bears certainly won't be drafting them because the Bears first round pick belongs to the Giants. This is the problem with never trading back, never accumulating selections and never thinking ahead about what the team needs. The Bears are always just chasing their own tails and the complex this franchise has with the quarterback position leads to a desperation that is their own undoing.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The pick is really only wrong if jones or any of these day 2 qbs pan out better and fields ends up being a bust. No doubt you could of stood your ground at 20 get a tackle and maybe find a day two qb who has wheels and a brain to run rpo offense too. But in terms of talent, this might be the best play the bears could have made at 11. As long as they come up with a starting tackle in round 2 or three good going. Despite my better judgement I'm going to be an optimist.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
When the Chiefs made this move for Pat Mahomes they had arguably the best bookend tackles in the NFL. The Bears have arguably the worst.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm hearing analysts today saying Fields was the second best QB in the draft, no clue how he fell or why he fell... Amazing the Bears where able to draft him, and Nagy may not be the guy to coach him up.

Yes, got to have a QB no matter the state of the rest of the team. Most important player in the most important position and they have potentially grabbed a good one. I'm 100% behind this move.

Edit: Plus with the Aaron Rodgers angst and potential movement out of the NFCN, the Bears may end up with the best QB in the NFCN.