How would you grade this draft class?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This is the best draft we've had since we drafted our latest Hall of Fame player.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Going on the idea that it takes 3 years to properly grade a draft what we should be grading now is the 2018 Draft

1. Roquan Smith
2. James Daniels
2. Anthony Miller
4. Joel Ivienbuniwe
5. Bilal Nichols
6. Kyle Fits
7. Javon Wims

Personally, I'd give it a B-/C. I think we got a real player in Roquan Smith who basically makes this draft class IMO, and also some guys to fill out spots without totally sucking the hairy pair.
Quan is great and can be even better. Nichols is a stud. JD will be a stud if he stays healthy. AntMill has been a disappointment relative to where he was picked but still has had some production. Really the only disappointments have been Joel I who’s just a special teams guy and Fitts who I don’t think is even a Bear now. That’s a solid draft there. I’d say B+. Would have been an A if AntMill wasn’t a knucklehead.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
A-
Epic draft for the Bears. I haven’t taken a close look at what the teams in our conference did, but it’ll be interesting to see where we rank.

With all of draft fun, My IBS is out of control due to bourbon, beer, beefs, and some gyros. Wings too. My house smells like a dead mongoose.
Minn did really good IMO. They got Darrishaw in the 1st and really helped their defense throughout the draft. Also got K.Mond in the 3rd round. They actually grabbed 2-3 players that i was watching the draft and hoping we'd get with our next pick with Chazz Surratt in the 3rd, Camryn Bynum (CB Cal Berkley) in the 4th and J.Robinson (OLB FSU) in the 4th.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Quan is great and can be even better. Nichols is a stud. JD will be a stud if he stays healthy. AntMill has been a disappointment relative to where he was picked but still has had some production. Really the only disappointments have been Joel I who’s just a special teams guy and Fitts who I don’t think is even a Bear now. That’s a solid draft there. I’d say B+. Would have been an A if AntMill wasn’t a knucklehead.
I think Pace's 2016 draft class is the best so far with C.Whitehair, Kwiat, D.Bush, J.Howard and DHC and whatever you wanna think about L.Floyd, 2018 was obviously good with R.Smith, J.Daniels and B.Nichols and last years class has a chance at being special if JJ can just stay healthy and C.Kmet and D.Mooney take that next step and K.Vildor will be a nice addition and really hoping we see something from T.Gipson this year.

This class we need to be the best and i really think it will be.

Edit: i messed that all up. I think 2018 is the best, 2020 can beat 2018 and 2016 was good as well but this class can top both....Damn it DB70.

Last edited:

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
This is the best draft since I think is was 1963 when we got Sayers and Butkus. It's the first time I ever sat and watched the whole damn thing, and enjoyed it!
That would be the 1965 draft, and the Bears got a hell of a lot more players than just those two.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Based on the prospects, I don’t know how you could grade it an A. Late rounds picks shouldn’t have much weight in the evaluation although I think we good got value with some of them.

The only possible negative thing about this class was the lack of 3rd and 4th round talent because CHI traded those picks.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Exactly. 3 quality starters w/ a pro bowl caliber player in the top 10 as you would expect. This was a solid draft and the Bears got a ton of snaps out of everyone except Fitts who was a Cardinal last I checked.

The only thing that sours this draft was the trade up for Miller. They evaluated the talent correctly and missed on the dumbass factor.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Every media grade I've seen on this class was an A overall. I've never seen that consensus with a Bears draft. Here are PFFs grades off their live draft tracker:

1 (11) JUSTIN FIELDS - Elite
2 (39) TEVEN JENKINS - Very Good
5 (151) LARRY BOROM - Average
6 (217) KHALIL HERBERT - Elite
6 (221) DAZZ NEWSOME - Average
6 (228) THOMAS GRAHAM, JR - Elite
7 (250) KHYIRIS TONGA - Above Average

For me, it's about positional value. The Fields pick at 11 was an A+. I'm high on Jenkins too as a day 1 starter. The lack of picks in rounds 3-4 may be offset by value on day 3, specifically if Graham can fill the nickel role and Newsome can take snaps away from Miller. I also like Tonga for depth at NT which killed us last year and another potential starter on the line in Borom.

Analytics has the Fields pick alone as +3.21 adjusted wins this season and that's with Dalton projecting 4 starts. In the context of our historically bad QB situation, come on... this was a home run. Set the skepticism aside for a minute and enjoy this draft.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Every media grade I've seen on this class was an A overall. I've never seen that consensus with a Bears draft. Here are PFFs grades off their live draft tracker:

1 (11) JUSTIN FIELDS - Elite
2 (39) TEVEN JENKINS - Very Good
5 (151) LARRY BOROM - Average
6 (217) KHALIL HERBERT - Elite
6 (221) DAZZ NEWSOME - Average
6 (228) THOMAS GRAHAM, JR - Elite
7 (250) KHYIRIS TONGA - Above Average

For me, it's about positional value. The Fields pick at 11 was an A+. I'm high on Jenkins too as a day 1 starter. The lack of picks in rounds 3-4 may be offset by value on day 3, specifically if Graham can fill the nickel role and Newsome can take snaps away from Miller. I also like Tonga for depth at NT which killed us last year and another potential starter on the line in Borom.

Analytics has the Fields pick alone as +3.21 adjusted wins this season and that's with Dalton projecting 4 starts. In the context of our historically bad QB situation, come on... this was a home run. Set the skepticism aside for a minute and enjoy this draft.
Wow Herbert and Graham get an elite tag that late.

BuckarooBob

Liked Posts:
Since we're grading the draft as a stand-alone event and not the eventual performance of the players drafted, I'd have to give this draft an A. That Pace was even in the position to move up to get Fields is a major miracle...that he did it and didn't give away the house to do so is a minor miracle. Same thing goes for Jenkins. Since I've yet to see any videos of Day 3 guys jumping out of a pool, I'd say they were solid picks in positions of need. Pace, despite the epic fail on Trubisky, has done a decent job bringing in contributors from lower rounds. I think some cautious optimism is in order.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I give it an A.