TE Options if bears cut graham

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Was just thinking that since the falcons took pitts, it makes hurst expendable and the falcons recently declined his 5th yr option.

With a cap hit of just 2 mill, cutting graham and replacing him with hurst could work while giving the bears 5 mill in space. Hurst is not much of blocker, like graham and he doesn't necessarily fit what arthur smith likes to do and supposedly pace and fontenot are good friends so a 6th to get this done?

Other guys to consider, eifert is still out there, jake butt is a guy i liked out of michigan, i heard he's fully healthy again so why not a tryout?

its just really odd graham continues to be on the roster when the bears are no longer in the wilson sweepstakes, has he even been asked to take a pay cut?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I am fine with JP Holtz and Jasper Horstead again. They do what they do well enough that its not a huge problem as long as Cole Kmet takes that next step. Maybe next off-season address it more but right now there are bigger fish to fry.

Liked Posts:
I found it odd they didn’t cut JG. If he’s still around, it’s possible that they don’t think so highly of Kmet. If they trust Kmet taking the next step, JG isn’t needed.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I found it odd they didn’t cut JG. If he’s still around, it’s possible that they don’t think so highly of Kmet. If they trust Kmet taking the next step, JG isn’t needed.
My theory is that there has been communication between the Bears and Jimmy Graham that he was probably getting cut but it might not be until June or July. Graham, more interested in playing with his helicopters than football and already having made his NFL fortune, probably is OK with being strung along like that since he's almost certainty going to retire rather than find a new team.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Graham was well worth the money. And if the plan this year is to load up the offense with weapons I see no valid reason to cut him. TE is a tough position to learn and he can still help Kmet and be a huge help to whoever plays QB this year.
Arob, Mooney, Graham, Kmet, Cohen are our only known weapons right now that we can rely on in the passing game. For a team short on playmakers we can't just cut people.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If they wanted to replace Jimmy they needed to sign someone earlier or draft someone to replace him.

They didn’t. I think they are stuck now.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I actually think Akiem Hicks is more expendable than Jimmy Graham now. Graham is an adept route runner and end zone threat, and he stayed on the field last year. I think Hicks is pretty much cooked. He was great as a Bear but I think we have seen the last of that greatness.

msadows

Liked Posts:
If they wanted to replace Jimmy they needed to sign someone earlier or draft someone to replace him.

They didn’t. I think they are stuck now.

To me, having a vet TE for a rookie QB is as valuable as anything.

Jimmy may be old and busted, but he still knows what his job is out on the field and has a huge catch radius. If fields is as accurate as we all have heard he is then jimmy g should be a decent contributor again this season even if he's slow as shit now.

I didn't understand keeping him until we got fields. Now I don't mind it as much. Give fields as much vets to learn from as possible.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
This is pretty inaccurate. Most teams need multiple playable tight ends. Bears in particular like to have a couple. Outside of those two the bears tight ends aren't nfl caliber

Liked Posts:
This is pretty inaccurate. Most teams need multiple playable tight ends. Bears in particular like to have a couple. Outside of those two the bears tight ends aren't nfl caliber
Not for that price tag, sorry, there’s cheaper options

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
If I am not mistaken the Bears only saved 8-9 million by cutting Fuller. If they didn't cut Graham to keep Fuller then i really doubt they are going to. Unless somene becomes available that is cheap that they really like, but still. You cannot overestimate how much a serious vet red zone target can help a young QB out. He is probably worth the 9 mil even if he doesn't do much between the 20s.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
I actually think Akiem Hicks is more expendable than Jimmy Graham now. Graham is an adept route runner and end zone threat, and he stayed on the field last year. I think Hicks is pretty much cooked. He was great as a Bear but I think we have seen the last of that greatness.
Hicks makes this whole defense go. Unless they think he is declining due to age i don't think there is anyway they cut him. If the Rams can pay free agents record contracts year after year, Bears should be able to find other ways already mentioned to get under the cap.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Not for that price tag, sorry, there’s cheaper options
Maybe not for this season though. Bears right now are probably looking at the 2022 off-season as another like 2018 where they are super-aggressive at multiple positions. They don't want to make financial commitments to anyone, nobody has really gotten much guaranteed money past this season.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hicks makes this whole defense go. Unless they think he is declining due to age i don't think there is anyway they cut him. If the Rams can pay free agents record contracts year after year, Bears should be able to find other ways already mentioned to get under the cap.
Hicks is more valuable then Mack. Why would they cut him when he is playing at a high level and there is no one close to his talent level behind him.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Hicks is more valuable then Mack. Why would they cut him when he is playing at a high level and there is no one close to his talent level behind him.
The injuries have piled up big time for Akiem Hicks and he's just not what he used to be. You could see it this season. A guy that huge it was a matter of time.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
If I am not mistaken the Bears only saved 8-9 million by cutting Fuller. If they didn't cut Graham to keep Fuller then i really doubt they are going to. Unless somene becomes available that is cheap that they really like, but still. You cannot overestimate how much a serious vet red zone target can help a young QB out. He is probably worth the 9 mil even if he doesn't do much between the 20s.

It was reported that it was upwards of 14 mil....more than the supposed 11 mil that most people thought before the cut actually occurred

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The Bears cut Kyle Fuller because they have more viable replacements at cornerback than they do at the second tight end.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was just thinking that since the falcons took pitts, it makes hurst expendable and the falcons recently declined his 5th yr option.

With a cap hit of just 2 mill, cutting graham and replacing him with hurst could work while giving the bears 5 mill in space. Hurst is not much of blocker, like graham and he doesn't necessarily fit what arthur smith likes to do and supposedly pace and fontenot are good friends so a 6th to get this done?

Other guys to consider, eifert is still out there, jake butt is a guy i liked out of michigan, i heard he's fully healthy again so why not a tryout?

its just really odd graham continues to be on the roster when the bears are no longer in the wilson sweepstakes, has he even been asked to take a pay cut?
Graham is still hanging around cause they want his veteran presence