Why do Ohio State QBs not do well in NFL?

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
maybe better question is why does Ohio St not get better QBs in the past? looking back.....

Haskins
Cardale Jones
JT Barrett
Terrelle Pryor

i understand why none of them worked out. it's more confusing why Ohio St hasn't gotten better QBs in the past. i guess they don't want to go play at a school more known for running backs and defense? guess i cant blame them wanting to go somewhere warmer too. just kinda odd.

but i laugh when people mention Ohio St never produces good NFL QBs. uh yeah cause they've never had Justin Fields lol. and he came from Georgia! funny only way they got an elite guy like him was cause of transfer.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Oh it goes a lot further back than just those four. Craig Krenzel (who had most of his NFL suck in Chicago), Troy Smith, Kirk Herbstreit, Braxton Miller...the list goes on. Its not a recent phenomenon.

I think its just a matter that in this century Ohio State is vastly better than any of the other Big Ten teams. They are more like an SEC team playing in the Big Ten than anything else. That means they beat up on shitty opponents, racking up gaudy stats in the process. Makes guys look better than they actually are.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The SEC owns Ohio state in big games
Ohio State still beats the middle class of the SEC. You can be the biggest Buckeye haters in the world (I count myself amongst that group) but there's no doubt they are better than South Carolina, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Texas A&M and Mississippi State.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Ohio State still beats the middle class of the SEC. You can be the biggest Buckeye haters in the world (I count myself amongst that group) but there's no doubt they are better than South Carolina, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Texas A&M and Mississippi State.

that is true. They are better then the mediocre sec teams. Yet, even South Carolina is 2-0 against Ohio state in bowl games, and we know South Carolina is no powerhouse program

Montucky

Liked Posts:
that is true. They are better then the mediocre sec teams. Yet, even South Carolina is 2-0 against Ohio state in bowl games, and we know South Carolina is no powerhouse program
I wouldn't call those mediocre programs. If A&M and Ole Miss played in the Big Ten they would make a fine living blasting through the likes of Michigan and Nebraska for double digit wins every year.

Ohio State plays in the kiddie pool. The Big Ten is really not that much better than even the lowly Pac-12 if you set aside Ohio State.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I wouldn't call those mediocre programs. If A&M and Ole Miss played in the Big Ten they would make a fine living blasting through the likes of Michigan and Nebraska for double digit wins every year.

Ohio State plays in the kiddie pool. The Big Ten is really not that much better than even the lowly Pac-12 if you set aside Ohio State.

i mean Michigan and Nebraska have fallen on hard times. Traditionally, those two programs wipe the floor with the likes of ole piss

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Montucky

Liked Posts:
i mean Michigan and Nebraska have fallen on hard times. Traditionally, those two programs wipe the floor with the likes of ole piss
Yet ever since Lloyd Carr and Tom Osborne quit they have been total trainwrecks. I would like to see somebody step up and challenge the Buckeyes for once. Maybe now that Indiana is starting to like life as a football school they will pour enough resources (resources they certainly have) behind their program to give it a go. They certainly have the coach.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
maybe better question is why does Ohio St not get better QBs in the past? looking back.....

Haskins
Cardale Jones
JT Barrett
Terrelle Pryor

i understand why none of them worked out. it's more confusing why Ohio St hasn't gotten better QBs in the past. i guess they don't want to go play at a school more known for running backs and defense? guess i cant blame them wanting to go somewhere warmer too. just kinda odd.

but i laugh when people mention Ohio St never produces good NFL QBs. uh yeah cause they've never had Justin Fields lol. and he came from Georgia! funny only way they got an elite guy like him was cause of transfer.

Cardale's nickname was "Shotgun." I'll let you figure out why a mid-round pick that is named after an inaccurate long distance weapon didnt make it. Pryor had very little pro pocket passing skills and was essentially from a different era. JT just simply wasnt an NFL prospect, was not athletic or fast and had poor instincts and a questionable arm. Haskins was a quintessential bust. But anyone that watched film on Haskins should have been able to see his massive flaws.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I remember watching Dwayne Haskins play Purdue and thinking "well there's no way this guy is getting drafted" and then a few months later bam he's going in the mid-first. Hell, Giants fans were pissed they didn't take him in the top ten.

I'm not super cheesed on Justin Fields but things would have to go shockingly wrong for Fields to be as bad as Dwayne Haskins.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Exactly this. Stupid narrative, stupid thread, stupid replies that support the stupid narrative.

X program never produces good NFL Y position, until it does.

Lot of programs who have produced good NFL QBs have also produced a lot of shit NFL QBs.

Texas Tech anyone? (Which is a reason I ignored him)

Its almost as if lazy generalizations don't work

cdubz11

Liked Posts:

ok didn't mean to start a college program war lol, but i dont think anyone can bash another program and defend Nebraska/Michigan when we're talking 20+ years ago now. Ole Miss probly has as many bowl wins/appearances as both of them combined in past 20 yrs lol i have no clue but wouldn't doubt it