Why do Ohio State QBs not do well in NFL?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Indiana gave Ohio State one hell of a game and then got clowned by Ole Miss in their bowl game.

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
Oh it goes a lot further back than just those four. Craig Krenzel (who had most of his NFL suck in Chicago), Troy Smith, Kirk Herbstreit, Braxton Miller...the list goes on. Its not a recent phenomenon.

I think its just a matter that in this century Ohio State is vastly better than any of the other Big Ten teams. They are more like an SEC team playing in the Big Ten than anything else. That means they beat up on shitty opponents, racking up gaudy stats in the process. Makes guys look better than they actually are.

yea meant to include Troy Smith too. just lookin at all of them, they were either more of just an athlete that ran a lot like Smith and Miller and Pryor. or they were a stiff pocket passer type with a big arm, play action type QBs. really never had anything close to Fields.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The key here is analyzing the coaching, team and situation each Qb went into at the pro level.
Just saying " OSU=bad Qb's" is a senseless, illogical narrative.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
So maybe, just maybe, it's bad QBs drafted by stupid GMs that end up being busts. IDK but maybe.
Sometimes guys get drafted into perfect situations also. Like matt castle back in the day. That’s why as much as I want to dog the 49ers trade up for lance he has allot going for him being paired up with a hc like shanahan. I think fields is the best qb of this draft but having a coach like Naggy is a wild card

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
almost as if lazy generalizations don't work

Word.

I have been blowing off Big 10 QBs as total trash since Kyle Orton took over for Drew Brees at Perdue, but Justin Fields is a total baller.

He is not without blemishes, but it's the first Big Ten QB I have said that about in decades. I just hope the Bears don't fuck it up.....again.

Bust

Liked Posts:
maybe better question is why does Ohio St not get better QBs in the past? looking back.....

Haskins
Cardale Jones
JT Barrett
Terrelle Pryor

i understand why none of them worked out. it's more confusing why Ohio St hasn't gotten better QBs in the past. i guess they don't want to go play at a school more known for running backs and defense? guess i cant blame them wanting to go somewhere warmer too. just kinda odd.

but i laugh when people mention Ohio St never produces good NFL QBs. uh yeah cause they've never had Justin Fields lol. and he came from Georgia! funny only way they got an elite guy like him was cause of transfer.

how many qb's has Tennessee produced post Peyton Manning?

NEXT

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Because they make for solid college QBs with a ton of talent around them playing a slower game. Many are brought in to run a system. Fields played at OSU but was an SEC guy.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Sometimes guys get drafted into perfect situations also. Like matt castle back in the day. That’s why as much as I want to dog the 49ers trade up for lance he has allot going for him being paired up with a hc like shanahan. I think fields is the best qb of this draft but having a coach like Naggy is a wild card

Coaching plays a large (wild card (y) ) factor in how quickly and or how well a Qb will develop. One key is building around a qb and the overall team talent.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
No school ever has good NFL quarterbacks....until they have good NFL quarterbacks.

Before Mahomes, what great NFL quarterbacks came from Texas Tech?

Before Rodgers, what great NFL quarterbacks came from Cal?

Before Watson, what great NFL quarterbacks came from Clemson?

Before Lamar Jackson, what great NFL quarterbacks came from Louisville?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
No school ever has good NFL quarterbacks....until they have good NFL quarterbacks.

Not to mention the game has changed and is easier on QBs today. They're more talented than ever but they have better opportunities to succeed. A lot of the busts mentioned probably play better in todays NFL.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Those QBs weren't football smart.......Fields is a different Beast.....plus he started in Georgia

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Not to mention the game has changed and is easier on QBs today. They're more talented than ever but they have better opportunities to succeed. A lot of the busts mentioned probably play better in todays NFL.
At some point, talent usually wins out, but I completely agree with you.

I think it’s become clear over the last handful of years that the current biggest indicator of pro success is college success. I think that’s more true now than it’s ever been.

It’s why I feel more comfortable with a Justin Fields or Trevor Lawrence than with a Trey Lance. Replicating college success has never been easier, relatively speaking.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh it goes a lot further back than just those four. Craig Krenzel (who had most of his NFL suck in Chicago), Troy Smith, Kirk Herbstreit, Braxton Miller...the list goes on. Its not a recent phenomenon.

I think its just a matter that in this century Ohio State is vastly better than any of the other Big Ten teams. They are more like an SEC team playing in the Big Ten than anything else. That means they beat up on shitty opponents, racking up gaudy stats in the process. Makes guys look better than they actually are.

and how many of those were graded as a 1st round prospect. Haskins? Thats it?

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

most of the QBs you posted were late round prospects. they werent 1st rounders.

how many 4th and 5th round prospects at QB do you honestly expect to amount to anything?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I don't like this narrative. Is there a school that is like "QB U" where every QB that comes out is a bad ass? I don't think so. I think the lack of Ohio State QBs that have been successful in the NFL just highlights how rare it is for a QB to come out of college and become a bad ass in the NFL.

I would never a judge a player by the players that came before him. I mean, there is no guarantee that Justin Fields is going to be an elite NFL QB. But there is also no denying that this dude has a good chance to be really special.

Bust

Liked Posts:

This guy gets it!

cdubz11

Liked Posts:

very true, and my main point was just that it's more odd than anything and seems just really unlucky Ohio St hasn't had a really good NFL QB yet.

Haskins was really good for college. So was JT Barrett. so was Troy Smith. but just none of them fit as an NFL level QB. they've never gotten a top 5 QB in country out of high school though i don't think. so i guess makes more sense. top 5 QBs go to SEC schools and West coast and Texas.