$30M for Foles Graham Quinn

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
It's not your money, which is something I'm often told.

lol i'm more ok with that stance when there isn't a salary cap. Cubs fine spend away (or be cheap asses) not my money. not so much with NFL. we had to cut Fuller one of best CBs in league because we made so many terrible signings. imagine a world we have Fuller still and $20M more to go spend on FAs. sigh next year i guess. but i have zero trust in Pace/Nagy in free agency still.

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
1). Graham lead the Bears in receiving TDs last season.
2). Quinn was injured last year. I don't know what is so hard to understand about that.
3). Foles was who Nagy begged for, so blame Nagy.

Because he said he was injured? Wouldn't be the first case in the history of the NFL to a free agent not coming anywhere near to living up to his contract and we hear about "injuries" all of a sudden.

I don't believe he was injured. I think he got a fat final contract and is cruising into retirement.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Because he said he was injured? Wouldn't be the first case in the history of the NFL to a free agent not coming anywhere near to living up to his contract and we hear about "injuries" all of a sudden.

I don't believe he was injured. I think he got a fat final contract and is cruising into retirement.
I dont think hes not trying. I'm sure there was some legitimacy to the injury, but it was also likely blown out of proportion to cover for the fact he is terrible on natural grass. I don't blame him for taking the money, but it isn't a good fit. He's been best on turf in a 4-3 defense

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
All in all, we are gong to end up having, what? 15 mil in cap towards the QB room. That's not bad if it means we get things figured out.

Quinn has been a flop, but it was an agressive move that didn't work out. He had 11 sacks in Dallas. He really has nowhere to go up as long as he stays on the field. I imagine a bounce back year. If him and Mack can combine for 15+ sacks it would be a decent year...hopefully they can break through that and get close to 20 with a healthy Goldman and Hicks bringing pressure up the middle.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The kid Kmet idolizes Graham and says that he's taught him a lot. Rookie TE's usually take a step forward in their second or third year, if that happens then Graham's time here will be well spent.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
All in all, we are gong to end up having, what? 15 mil in cap towards the QB room. That's not bad if it means we get things figured out.

Quinn has been a flop, but it was an agressive move that didn't work out. He had 11 sacks in Dallas. He really has nowhere to go up as long as he stays on the field. I imagine a bounce back year. If him and Mack can combine for 15+ sacks it would be a decent year...hopefully they can break through that and get close to 20 with a healthy Goldman and Hicks bringing pressure up the middle.
15 mill in the qb room? Dalton is 10 and foles 7 right? Idk what fields slot is. Im guessing a little over 20 mill total which still isn't bad

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Jimmy Graham is still here because of Justin Fields.

If you have a young QB you need a reliable TE threat. Yea, Jimmy is old and busted but still has good hands and knows how to get seperation, even if its minimal. If fields is as accurate as he's talked up to be then Graham should have a decent season again.

Not sure you can bank your TE position, which is probably the most important skill position in this offense, on cole kmet.
I keep hearing Graham would be good to have around for Fields, and i agree, but i think he's just as helpful for Dalton. The guy might be getting paid a couple extra mil too much but i don't think you'd find many, if any, QB's in the NFL that wouldn't want him on their team. Having that big reliable TE on offense especially in the red zone is huge. He's not what he used to be but if he hasn't lost anything from last year then he's still very useful.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I wanted jimmy gone until we got fields. Before then I felt like he was just taking some catches away from kmet's development.

Now, I want as many talented vets around fields as possible. Teach that man how to be an NFL player. Graham has played with 3 of the best QB's of all time(4 if you count superbowl MVP nick foles). I'm sure he can provide a ton of insight towards fields development.
FIFY

Canth

Liked Posts:
The Quinn signing was definitely bad. Both because he has not produced to the level of the contract but also because, imo, the money spent on Quinn has affected the money available for ARob. It has been typical of the Bears to live in the past of investing more heavily into the defense than the offense despite the NFL shifting the rules and rule enforcement to favor the offenses.

The other crappy thing about signing someone like Quinn to that big FA contract is that it nullifies potential compensatory picks that you could get for guys like Floyd signing elsewhere.

I understood the Graham signing because the Reid style offense needs multiple TE's to really be effective.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I still think its early on the Quinn signing considering he was dealing with injuries last season, and has shown he can get to the QB.

Guy averaged nearly 9 sacks a year over the last 3 seasons... he just wasn't healthy last year.

The jury is still out on the Quinn signing. If he comes back healthy and has an 8+ sack season I don't think people will be complaining about him.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Given the situation with Rodgers, I wonder if the Packers would have any interest in Foles. A reach? Yeah, probably but you see it all the time where somebody's shit is someone else's gold. I doubt they will just hang Love out on a chum line.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Given the situation with Rodgers, I wonder if the Packers would have any interest in Foles. A reach? Yeah, probably but you see it all the time where somebody's shit is someone else's gold. I doubt they will just hang Love out on a chum line.
If they are willing to give up a pick and you as the bears are willing to take a cap hit sure. Costs more to get rid of him even in a trade, then again, cutting Leno, getting a pick, might be worth the one year hit.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If they are willing to give up a pick and you as the bears are willing to take a cap hit sure. Costs more to get rid of him even in a trade, then again, cutting Leno, getting a pick, might be worth the one year hit.
Foles has always been a decent backup......a 6th or even 7th rounder would do. It would just be nice to get out from under his contract.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
what a waste of money imagine what we could do with $30M for players that will actually have an impact.
It was an all time horrendous free agency period.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Look at is as if the Bears had actually gotten a QB besides Foles and he was decent enough to beat out and keep the job from Trubisky, but still not good enough, the Bears might have thought they were fine and not gotten Fields. If not Quinn, they probably would have signed Floyd to a long-term deal (if he performed like he did last year) and that's also probably not a great move. Everything happens for a reason.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Graham was terrible between the 20’s. His red zone targets would go to AROB, who was criminally ignored in the red zone. Kmet will have a bigger role this season. Cut graham.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Graham was terrible between the 20’s. His red zone targets would go to AROB, who was criminally ignored in the red zone. Kmet will have a bigger role this season. Cut graham.
Thats not how reality works.....

napo55

Liked Posts:
When you trade away so many draft choices in ill-advised trades and compensate by signing free agents towards the end of their careers, this is what you get. Give the GM a D-.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Foles has always been a decent backup......a 6th or even 7th rounder would do. It would just be nice to get out from under his contract.

Considering it would be a 14 mil dead cap hit if we were to get rid of him or trade him, Foles likely isn't going anywhere.