Nagy confirms they will install some of the OSU plays/concepts to give Fields a head start

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
That anyone seeing his play designs of colliding WR's, or playcalls of 130lb halfback dives or 12 bubbles screens a game exonerate Nagy is comical.

But you having his nuts tonsils deep down your throat may have something to do with that.
yeah when anthony miller was wide open and mitch sailed the balls consistently 10 feet over his head that was really evident.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
not disagreeing completely but the bears put pieces around him., dumbed down the offense. What was NCs playbook? Did Mitch even know it lol? He played 12 games as a starter?

he hit a wall in late 2018 and teams figured him out, pretty simple.

I'm just not seeing how a bad QB is an excuse for not bending over backwards to make sure the QB has ALL the tools like they are now. Even if the QB you have won't be helped the next one will.

I love it, we might actually end up with a team. At least this time they seem to be doing everything they can.

My rant would probably fit better in yet another WR thread, the thought of actually designing plays around players was just my final WTF straw issue.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
he also just drafted justin fields. Foles cost a 4th round pick he didn’t exactly mortgage the future. Nagy’s first two years we didn’t have a first round draft pick...? how are you supposed to replace tackles without a first round draft pick?
How many first round draft picks are going to replace tackles in 2021? We need to replace 2 tackles.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Some people collect coins, some people collect stamps. Hell, I collect growlers from different breweries that I visit. I think Matt Nagy likes to collect football plays.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Too complicated for you?

Both 2020 tackles are gone. Bears are not going to replace them with 1st round tackles. So using that excuse for not doing it before is a bad excuse because they could have done it years before, just like this year.
i literally said that in response to 89. Nagy actually did address OT, hence Ifedi on a cheap deal. he just didn’t do it with a quality replacement.

the point is you can’t address a premium position like OT with a quality replacement without a premium draft pick especially when you’re up against the cap. you tend to get out what you put into things don’t you? what confused me was you saying we need to replace two tackles when Leno had already been replaced.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
It put the bears in bad cap situation. If they went with any of the FA they could have gotten a contract they could have gotten out of. Instead the bears had to get rid of a good player in fuller to make room for other players. And of course they had one less pick in the draft. Foles was a bad move. Didn't mortgage the future but got rid of a lot of flexibility in the draft and FA this year.
Alpha, the Bears lost Kyle because of the cap contraction caused by the pandemic. The Bears have managed the cap pretty well. I’m pretty sure they didn’t have a Covid contingency plan in place. This has played out across the NFL.

I hate that he’s gone too.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fields is a natural fit for Nagy's RPO offense so wont be hard to design stuff for him.

Dalton is better with play action ala Trubs so really I would expect Lazor to design the concepts for Dalton and Nagy to do so for Fields.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alpha, the Bears lost Kyle because of the cap contraction caused by the pandemic. The Bears have managed the cap pretty well. I’m pretty sure they didn’t have a Covid contingency plan in place. This has played out across the NFL.

I hate that he’s gone too.
The salary cap was $188m in 2019. And then increased to $192m in 2020 before being reset to whatever that number was , $184m. Going in to the season they were tight with only $7m free. You figure $6m off that is designated for rookie draft pool. So no, they’re cap issues stem from bad contracts.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Personnel decisions aside - Nagy has shown some curious to downright concerning qualities as a playcaller/game manager. There is no question that the talent (lack thereof) at the QB position was subpar and contributes as much as anything else to the lack of success of the Bears offense. I think Nagy has good HC qualities in terms of managing the locker room and seemingly developing good player relationships - which shouldn't be undervalued, but the fact of the matter is he is a offensive HC who has been carried to a 28-20 record by the strength of his defense. He successfully managed to get another crack at getting the QB position right and I really think he got the best man in that draft for the offense he wants to run. So, here we are - it's time to make it happen.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Fields is a natural fit for Nagy's RPO offense so wont be hard to design stuff for him.

Dalton is better with play action ala Trubs so really I would expect Lazor to design the concepts for Dalton and Nagy to do so for Fields.
As long as Nagy never calls plays again that’s fine

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ted Nguyen of The Athletic. He had Fields as the 2nd best QB in the draft.

Justin Fields, QB, Chicago Bears (No. 11)​

Play style: Aggressive downfield passer who needs to work on speeding up his process, elite athlete.
Scheme: Spread with a blend of RPOs, West Coast and Air Raid concepts.

Bears coach Matt Nagy was the offensive coordinator in Kansas City in 2017 when Alex Smith had arguably his best career as a pro. Smith was known as a conservative passer who did not like to take chances down the field. That changed in 2017 when Smith had a career high in adjusted yards per pass (8.6). The Chiefs started running their routes deeper and calling more shot plays. This set the table for Patrick Mahomes, who watched from the bench but started the final game of the season in 2017, and the current iteration of the Chiefs offense.

In Chicago, Mitchell Trubisky had a career high in adjusted yards per pass (7.3) in 2018, Nagy’s first season as head coach of the Bears. However, Trubisky has regressed, and the overall lack of talent on the Bears roster forced Nagy to adjust his offense. Justin Fields was one of the most aggressive and accurate deep ball passers in college football last year. His arm and willingness to let it rip will allow Nagy to return to his ideal offense.

“(Deep passing) is a strength of (Fields’), and maybe with him we gotta go ‘touchdown-to-touchdown’ mentality — get some of that,” Nagy said in his post-draft news conference. “I think that’s where that needs to go with all of our quarterbacks.”

The Ohio State offense loosely resembles what the Chiefs offense looks like now. They run a lot of similar passing concepts. They want to run the ball from shotgun, and when they go under center, they take shots. With Fields in the fold, Nagy can go back to what made him successful in Kansas City.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
i literally said that in response to 89. Nagy actually did address OT, hence Ifedi on a cheap deal. he just didn’t do it with a quality replacement.

the point is you can’t address a premium position like OT with a quality replacement without a premium draft pick especially when you’re up against the cap. you tend to get out what you put into things don’t you? what confused me was you saying we need to replace two tackles when Leno had already been replaced.
2020 to 2021 was 2 tackles. Done with a 2nd and 5th round pick.

True, it would be nice if the Bears had tons of 1st round picks to replace every offensive line starting position, but that is not the reality with most teams. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't try because you don't have them.

Ifedi was a cheap deal. There should have been more resources used to address the offensive line issues.

Well, they have now added some more depth. Hopefully, the offense improves as a whole.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Kinda refreshing to hear. The last thing I wanted for this kid was that Nagy was going to force his playbook down Justin's throat like he did with Mitch the first year. Also helps that Ryan Day runs a pretty pro style centric offense.

I'd like to see some plays from under center too

Brownie

Liked Posts:
Weiderer and Bowen talk a bit about Nagy and the offense at around the 9:55 mark:

Last edited: