Youth movement on the Bears

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Bears have a young offense but the defense is old.

2mpo84pd3mx61.jpg

JTaylor072

Liked Posts:
D isnt old it’s middle aged. 33% of the players on your list are young!

Over a quarter of the D starters is on this list.

and the oldest pieces are Mack Hicks Quinn who all are still or can be dominate at the age.

Next 2-3 years there is a window. Yes some of them like Hicks Quinn Trevathan will need to be replaced.

EJax is young and can/will return to form, some backups are young. Goldman isn’t old and is coming off a full year of no tread…

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't know that the Bears are actually going thru a youth movement necessarily, but damn if Pace hasn't pulled a "homegrown movement" right under our eyes.

As much as we complain about trading picks away and the bad free agent contracts he's signed, Pace is a few very probable cuts away from a heavily homegrown roster in 2022.

Not counting the guys on the fringe of the roster this year (UDFAs and such), the Bears (by my count) have 34 players under contract for 2022. Assuming they cut Foles, Quinn and Trevathan; 27 of the remaining 31 players were Bears draft picks or UDFA pickups. Only Mack, Edwards, Attaochu, and Blackson would be outside pick ups. If the Bears continue to re-sign guys like Bush, DHC, and O'Donnell; and they re-sign Nichols and Daniels long-term....you're looking at at least 35 homegrown players on the 55-man roster in 2022 when you include 2nd, 3rd and 5th round picks next year (no 4th, not guaranteeing late picks a spot). The league average is 60% homegrown or 33 players. Considering they've let Fuller, Amos, RRH, Kwiatkoski, Floyd, Howard, and by 2022 Miller go....Ryan Pace has a really good track record in the draft. Obviously, how good that track record is will depend on Fields and Jenkins a ton, but I didn't realize how well they were actually doing constructing this roster.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I don't know that the Bears are actually going thru a youth movement necessarily, but damn if Pace hasn't pulled a "homegrown movement" right under our eyes.

As much as we complain about trading picks away and the bad free agent contracts he's signed, Pace is a few very probable cuts away from a heavily homegrown roster in 2022.

Not counting the guys on the fringe of the roster this year (UDFAs and such), the Bears (by my count) have 34 players under contract for 2022. Assuming they cut Foles, Quinn and Trevathan; 27 of the remaining 31 players were Bears draft picks or UDFA pickups. Only Mack, Edwards, Attaochu, and Blackson would be outside pick ups. If the Bears continue to re-sign guys like Bush, DHC, and O'Donnell; and they re-sign Nichols and Daniels long-term....you're looking at at least 35 homegrown players on the 55-man roster in 2022 when you include 2nd, 3rd and 5th round picks next year (no 4th, not guaranteeing late picks a spot). The league average is 60% homegrown or 33 players. Considering they've let Fuller, Amos, RRH, Kwiatkoski, Floyd, Howard, and by 2022 Miller go....Ryan Pace has a really good track record in the draft. Obviously, how good that track record is will depend on Fields and Jenkins a ton, but I didn't realize how well they were actually doing constructing this roster.
Ryan Pace has been good at drafting.

Will we get a draft pick if Carolina hires Jeff King from our front office?

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
The Carolina #Panthers have requested permission to interview #Bears Assistant Director of Pro Scouting Jeff King for their Assistant GM job, source said. The third known candidate, King is a former Panthers TE.
3:13 PM · May 7, 2021

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yes it is this new thing called drafting players.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Hopefully we can add another DB to that list between Vildor, Shelley, and Graham Jr by next season. Its not a bad core to go along with a few nice 25-28 year old players we have. (Arob, Goldman, Mario Edwards, Eddie Jackson, Cohen, Whitehair, Ifedi)

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
D isnt old it’s middle aged. 33% of the players on your list are young!

Over a quarter of the D starters is on this list.

and the oldest pieces are Mack Hicks Quinn who all are still or can be dominate at the age.

Next 2-3 years there is a window. Yes some of them like Hicks Quinn Trevathan will need to be replaced.

EJax is young and can/will return to form, some backups are young. Goldman isn’t old and is coming off a full year of no tread…

2020 Chicago Bears Defense was the oldest in the league.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
That list makes me feel so old. In a breath, youth is gone. I'm old enough that these could be my kids in a bizzaro world.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I'm so happy the bears stopped drafting 30+ year olds.
It’s because no g. Manager can predict the future so they wanted to see what these players played like after they were 22

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Ryan Pace has been good at drafting.

Will we get a draft pick if Carolina hires Jeff King from our front office?

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
The Carolina #Panthers have requested permission to interview #Bears Assistant Director of Pro Scouting Jeff King for their Assistant GM job, source said. The third known candidate, King is a former Panthers TE.
3:13 PM · May 7, 2021
Nah. It's for Assistant GM. And he's white. It has to be a minority candidate and has to be hired as GM or head coach.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
They're not trying to hire anyone from the college scouting department. It's the pro scout they want. Hasn't there been someone on this board who's been saying its the pro acquisitions that have been keeping this team afloat? I wonder who that is. Cant remember his name. But yeah, great drafting or something.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Let's not forget Jaylon Johnson and Eddie Jackson on D.