What talking heads do you trust and distrust?

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m a fan of Klatt. He was on the Denver sports radio show out here and he seemed to be top notch. But this story is hilarious. He is petrified of pulling the cotton out of a bottle of Advil. He once asked a hotel concierge to pull it out. Another time he used his baby’s fingers to pinch it and pull it out. That’s all I can think of when I see him on tv. But he is very intelligent and I respect him as an analyst.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Just stay away from all of ESPN and former star players on the NFL Network. Everybody else has their ups and downs but they're at least watchable

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Mina Kimes is pretty much the only person on ESPN I find myself agreeing with the majority of the time. The others like Dan Orlovsky and Ryan Clark have days where I can kinda agree with them. If I find myself agreeing with Stephen A on anything not basketball, I automatically assume I'm wrong about it. lol
And she's fucking hottttt. Mina Dimes imo. :p

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
That's not really true at all. Most of them have been there done that. Probably don't want to deal with the stress and time commitment and depending where they work, are probably paid better.

wait...what?!? “Most”???

please give us some examples of “most”...

The ones that were employed by NFL teams to make player/roster transactions and now work as “talking heads”, were fired for being bad at their jobs. Not because they “don’t want to deal with the stress”.

I can’t remember the last GM, minus retirement, or scout that moved to media voluntarily.

Last edited:

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Oh nevermind. I'm completely defeated. I've got jokes, but. This will be my last post.

For the next few hours.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
For now, I trust only a select few local beat guys who grind in and out daily like Brad Biggs, Patrick Finley, and Adam Jahns.

Distrust/dont pay attention to everything/everybody else. It's all a show to them about clicks and ratings, not substance because national media members have to speak in obvious generalizations, not in-depth about most topics.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice - I've been meaning to check that out. I actually do trust David Byrne tbh.
Well ,buy, just it's been a couple of weeks. Flipped through it a bit and seems like there's some cool stuff in there, but I haven't committed to reading it.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

What!?!? The obviously fucked up psycho turns out to be a fucked up psycho? Anyone that has ever read this freaks work saw this coming . To the dopes that hired this lunatic, stop thinking you are smarter than the rest of the world and fire yourselves for not seeing what everyone else saw.

Note: Marriotti briefly had a radio show and I knew 2 people that listed to and enjoyed his insane ramblings. Both of those people were also psychos. If any of you know people that enjoyed his newspaper column or radio show, please keep an eye on them.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Serius NFL Radio and Fantasy Sports Radio are pretty much where I get 100% of my info. They have a lot of legit contributors with real in depth info no hype BS

Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller
Bruce Murray and Brady Quinn
Phil Savage and Bill Polian
Jeff Ratcliff
Jeff Manz
Rotowire - Jeff Erickson and Chris Liss

Varking

Enigma
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Toronto FC
  1. Minnesota Timberwolves
  1. Carolina Panthers
  1. Colorado Avalanche
  1. Florida Gators
I think they all have their moments but I think they all also try to generate clicks and shares so they say outlandish things at times. Klatt is probably my favorite of the guys to listen to on any basis but I don’t watch lots of ESPN or anything like that anymore.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I was thinking about this today watching Joel Klatt talk about the draft on Colin Cowherd's show. The stark contrast between Joel Klatt's knowledge and understanding of football, and how much of a fucking mongo Colin Cowherd is with his dumbshit hot takes.

So what talking heads and analysts do you trust, and why? And which ones do you think are fucking morons that should just shut the fuck up? Include the bloggers, podcasters, YouTubers, etc. This might be a good opportunity to find out about good sources to watch, learn, and get good insight into the game we all love. :D

Smart guys:
Joel Klatt
- I feel like he's correct more often than not when it comes to assessing players. I'd love for us to throw a ton of money at him and have him come work for the Bears in literally any capacity.
Brett Kollmann - I love his videos, and his tape breakdown. I trust this guy. He's very detail oriented. Kollmann's YouTube
Draft Doctor Phil - A bit of a meatball and he needs to stop rapping, but he does good tape breakdown, and knows his shit. He seems to really know the offensive line. He wanted Mac Jones, but I can forgive him for that. Tape Never Lies

Dipshit fuckstains that need to be fired yesterday:
Colin Cowherd
- I know it's probably more about ratings than anything else, but god damn does he say some stupid shit. And people eat it up. Fucking obnoxious.
Jason LaCanfora - I meannnnnn, the dude is just wrong so often. How do people keep paying him? He also hates the Bears, which is super funny.
Trent Dilfer - I seem to fundamentally disagree with everything he has to say. He was a total dipshit on ESPN. Even though that's a bit of the status quo...
All of ESPN - Need I say more?

For the lulz:
I just started watching some videos from a channel on YouTube called ThatsGoodSports. Dude's name is Brandon Perna. He's actually super funny. He's weird as fuck looking, but I really like his videos so far. He's a Broncos homer, but he's miserable, and that's funny.

Bonus Justin Fields picture:

4HIO1Gj.jpg
So to recap Trent Dilfer is worse than guys that never played QB in the NFL. Perhaps try Sage Rosenfeld Brian Baldinger Matt Waldman Dan Durkin instead.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
wait...what?!? “Most”???

please give us some examples of “most”...

The ones that were employed by NFL teams to make player/roster transactions and now work as “talking heads”, were fired for being bad at their jobs. Not because they “don’t want to deal with the stress”.

I can’t remember the last GM, minus retirement, or scout that moved to media voluntarily.
First - why are you so angry?

Two - here are a few examples, but I'm not spending my entire Saturday researching NFL talking heads backgrounds, but here are a few right off the top of my head. Yes, most of these guys have a background in the NFL in some capacity before moving into Media. Do you realize how difficult it would be to move up the ladder in the NFL? And we're talking about a very small amount of jobs here with shit pay and long hours. It isn't crazy in the least that people move from NFL jobs to media. More career flexibility and less high pressure. And sure, I'm sure some scouts did terrible work and it wasn't voluntary to move to media. These guys below could get jobs in NFL scouting departments if they really wanted too.

Daniel Jeremiah - College scout and assistant from 2003 - 2012. I heard him on a podcast before mention the worst assignment he ever had as a scout was going to a college town and sitting in a bar all week long to see if prospects were going there. Can you imagine? That's bitch work for little pay and away from family. Yeah, I can't imagine someone wanting to do something else.

Matt Miller - Was a coach and scout. And has been asked to consult with NFL Personnel departments.

Louis Riddick - Went from pro scout in 2001 to Director of pro personnel 2010 - 2013 with the Eagles. Lots of players from that SB team has Riddick ties. Later joined ESPN as an analyst and interviewed for GM jobs this past year.

Ben Albright - Former NFL Scout

Don't be a typical meatball and please be less angry

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Yeah, ESPN is a cesspool. Mina Kimes is wonderful, and some of the NBA announcers are good, but the rest of TV personalities are all pretty much bad.

I like a lot of the guys at Draft Network, especially Jordan Reid. JT O'Sullivan is phenomenal. Matt Bowen knows his stuff. There's a couple up and coming guys I follow on Twitter that I really value their opinions.
Yeah, I really miss Bowen before he made the move to the dark side. He's still awesome just miss his deep dive into all things bears.

E.J Snyder (senior draft analyst at Windy City Gridiron) is top of the food chain as well. He and Brett Kollmann have a youtube channel they colab on called Bootleg football and it's one of the best kept secrets for football junkies. They go deep into evals on these prospects.

Last edited:

Canth

Liked Posts:
I ignore most of the national people for anything Bears related because I find them to be lazy with their narratives. You learn nothing from them that you won't get from a local beat writer. So, I tend to pay more attention to guys like Hoge and Jahns and check in at the athletic for the Jahns and Fishbain articles. Then I check twitter way too much with the guys from WCGridiron, etc.

Now, for an overall view of what's going on around the league, I tend to check profootballtalk along with the athletic.