Back to the draft QB rankings. How do they compare in specific arm traits.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Watch out for Mooney and somebody that actually lead on on deep balls and throw early on breaks.

he likely is. Fields may have slightly better quicks. Why I graded that tje same for them and better than the others.
Mooney is gonna have a big year but I honestly expect ARob to be the biggest beneficiary here. Sure he won't be fed by a QB that locks on him like Trubisky did, but I think his average yards per catch are going to jump to 15+.

I'll predict it right now. With Fields in, ARob is going to average 6 catches a game for 90+ yards. Math it out as if fields plays all 17 games, that's 102 catches for 1530 yards.

Be funny if Mooney matches the production on half the catches though :cool:

napo55

Liked Posts:
Maybe I missed it, but I don't see any discussion of the area where Fields needs to improve most. His PFF stats are outstanding except in one category: performance under a heavy rush. He needs to learn to read the blitz and settle for a dump off to the rb or a quick short pass to the open receiver.

If he can learn to deal to deal with blitzes and pressure, he can be truly outstanding. I have to assume that the Bears are aware of this problem and will work with Justin to correct it right from the beginning.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Back to the draft QB rankings. How do they compare in specific arm traits.​

All, to my knowledge, have 2. I consider that crucial. So I am going with a 5 way tie at this point.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Maybe I missed it, but I don't see any discussion of the area where Fields needs to improve most. His PFF stats are outstanding except in one category: performance under a heavy rush. He needs to learn to read the blitz and settle for a dump off to the rb or a quick short pass to the open receiver.

If he can learn to deal to deal with blitzes and pressure, he can be truly outstanding. I have to assume that the Bears are aware of this problem and will work with Justin to correct it right from the beginning.
Is it because he had trouble dealing with the blitz, or because OSUs offense didn’t have as many built in quick outlets as other offenses?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

NFL sack leaders are Wentz, Watson, Wilson and Jones. Watson and Wilson are always at or near the top. Rodgers tends to be high as well. They try to make big plays and hold the ball to do it.

We'll know more when we see him in the NFL. PFF has a way of unbalancing a stat by giving wrote #s. Why many of us don't care for them as a proof argument.

napo55

Liked Posts:
NFL sack leaders are Wentz, Watson, Wilson and Jones. Watson and Wilson are always at or near the top. Rodgers tends to be high as well. They try to make big plays and hold the ball to do it.
Which raises the other main concern about Fields: the fact that he took so many big hits and the risk of injury.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pretty much spot on IMO, except for Fields and Lance sharing the #1 spot as runners. Lance is an athletic quarterback who was able to put up huge rushing numbers against FCS competition, but in the NFL he’s closer to Donovan McNabb than Lamar Jackson (based on his anecdotal 40 yard dash times in the mid 4.5s). Fields didn’t put up the rushing numbers because Ohio State was very careful with how they used him due to a lack of quarterback depth behind him (and because he was such a good passer that they usually didn’t need his legs to win), but in terms of raw athleticism relative to his size (as measured by his pro-day and SPARQ measurements), he would be in the 98th percentile among running backs. Had he played against FCS competition and been able to run freely, his rushing numbers would have dwarfed Lance’s, and nobody would put them in the same category as runners.
I suspect he would have not put up the running numbers of Lance and stayed with his progressions for a lot more air yards and more yards overall.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Which raises the other main concern about Fields: the fact that he took so many big hits and the risk of injury. A sack isn't necessarily a big hit. He took those running.
So, what are you saying? Lance's style is safer? You prefer Jones' lack of mobility? He should still have been in the top 3n in this draft. That said, I don't disagree that Justin needs to take fewer sacks. He should get more help at this level and hopefully the coaches can help him better understand when to throw it away.

Canth

Liked Posts:

Eh, I think that is true of basically every qb - college especially but also the pros. Some of these analysts lock onto that but it was very similar for all these guys. And there a lot of qb's in the NFL that look a lot worse under pressure.

What I liked about Fields was that he actually worked the pocket a bit. Yes, he has all that athletism but he was still playing qb and didn't just run at the first hint of pressure or if his first read was not there. I get a little annoyed at some of these analysts and sportswriters who seem to want to treat any guy that can run as a runningback that can throw despite the guy proving that he can play qb from the pocket and run if/when he needs to run to make a play.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Eh, I think that is true of basically every qb - college especially but also the pros. Some of these analysts lock onto that but it was very similar for all these guys. And there a lot of qb's in the NFL that look a lot worse under pressure.

What I liked about Fields was that he actually worked the pocket a bit. Yes, he has all that athletism but he was still playing qb and didn't just run at the first hint of pressure or if his first read was not there. I get a little annoyed at some of these analysts and sportswriters who seem to want to treat any guy that can run as a runningback that can throw despite the guy proving that he can play qb from the pocket and run if/when he needs to run to make a play.
It actually wasn't. Fields took about twice as many sacks as the others per drop back.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Is it because he had trouble dealing with the blitz, or because OSUs offense didn’t have as many built in quick outlets as other offenses?
I forgot what podcast he said it on but Matt Bowen mentioned it was because of the route tree. But he did also say that Fields can be overly aggressive, looking for big plays leading to sacks.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But he’s not FIELDS fast...

Hadnt seen GPS numbers for Fields so hard to tell. 40 times are going to become irrelevant once GPS speeds become more available.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I forgot what podcast he said it on but Matt Bowen mentioned it was because of the route tree. But he did also say that Fields can be overly aggressive, looking for big plays leading to sacks.
It's personal bias but I'm OK with that. When they do that, it's often big play vs sacks vs picks. I've always been a fan of the arm punt if it's out of aggression and why stats can't be compared in that vacuum. Higher % of picks for some players is not as bad as it is for others and the same is true of sacks. Obviously, you want fewer if possible but sometimes you need to take a little bad with the extra good to maximize a players production. A 50 yard pick on 3rd and 12 is as good as a punt and has the potential for a big play. Obviously you try and make the 1st but if all are covered, chuck it. It's all about risk/reward.

We're Bear fans and way to used to ball control 3 yards and cloud of dust mentality where turnovers or sacks lose games because that pick was 5 yards downfield and it's hard to run out of that.

Last edited:

napo55

Liked Posts:
It's personal bias but I'm OK with that. When they do that, it's often big play vs sacks vs picks. I've always been a fan of the arm punt if it's out of aggression and why stats can't be compared in that vacuum. Higher % of picks for some players is not as bad as it is for others and the same is true of sacks. Obviously, you want fewer if possible but sometimes you need to take a little bad with the extra good to maximize a players production. A 50 yard pick on 3rd and 12 is as good as a punt and has the potential for a big play. Obviously you try and make the 1st but if all are covered, chuck it. It's all about risk/reward.

We're Bear fans and way to use to ball control 3 yards and cloud of dust mentality where turnovers or sacks lose games because that pick was 5 yards downfield and it's hard to run out of that.

It's actually ok to accept that Fields isn't perfect and can improve. His stats under pressure are not good. A good coaching staff will work with him to improve . If he doesn't, teams will blitz him until he does.
And then there's the increased risk of injury.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yup but injuries also have to do with build and history. Obviously can't predict luck but dude is stout.

Last edited:

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Watch out for Mooney and somebody that actually lead on on deep balls and throw early on breaks.

he likely is. Fields may have slightly better quicks. Why I graded that tje same for them and better than the others.
I like Mooney a lot. But transitioning systems for a QB and familiarizing yourself with a new team is a bit much.

I’d love to see Mooney breakout. He’s definitely the future for the Bears at WR

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
man the expectations are through the roof for this kid, if he does anything other than be great the entire Bears fan universe is going to go mental