Roster Projection: QB and RB

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
QB [3]: Dalton, Fields, Foles

Obviously, the dream scenario is that Fields grabs the job early in camp, Dalton becomes a backup veteran mentor, and someone loses a QB and trade for Foles.

It seems unlikely based on recent reporting that Foles is going to be tradeable so he will become the highest paid assistant QB coach in the history of the league and hopefully earn his money as a mentor for Fields. I do not expect Dalton, if he starts week 1, to make it much past week 3 or 4.

Short Term: Good
Long Term: We are going to need a cost-effective backup who can do a little bit more of what Fields can do.

RB [4]: Montgomery, Cohen, Williams, Hebert

This is another one that is easy to predict.

-The Bears finally have some actual depth behind Montgomery
-They finally have a KR making an appropriate amount of money.
-I am intrigued to see how they use Williams as he seems to be a blend of Cohen and Monty.

Short Term: Rock solid and better depth than we have ever had.
Long Term: No need 3/4 guys are under contract for 2022.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I still think you cut Foles June 1. His cap hit goes from 6.67M to 7.67M with a June 1 cut. I would use his roster spot to bring in a young developmental guy. Nick Mullens is out there. He's a guy that you could teach the offense to this year and left him be QB2 next year. I'd even bring in a UDFA and let him take a beating in preseason if necessary. And there's always Tyler Bray!

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I understand everyone thinks Nall should be gone, but Pierce seems to be totally forgotten.
Guys like him are forgotten all the time. He was a UDFA last year. The Bears have on the depth chart ahead of him a 3rd round pick, 4th round pick, a should've been Superbowl MVP, and a 6th round pick. He looked fun the few touches he got, but he's not memorable.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still think you cut Foles June 1. His cap hit goes from 6.67M to 7.67M with a June 1 cut. I would use his roster spot to bring in a young developmental guy. Nick Mullens is out there. He's a guy that you could teach the offense to this year and left him be QB2 next year. I'd even bring in a UDFA and let him take a beating in preseason if necessary. And there's always Tyler Bray!
Foles does shit for this offense. Yes it's going to 'cost' but fuck it, what is the concern with dead money all of a sudden? He offers NOTHING.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Pierce got a few touches and did well, but I agree with most that a draft pick will be given the spot. Hopefully Pierce will make it to the PS and maybe get a chance down the line if needed.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Eagles ate like 40Mil just for Wentz to play for someone else. Bears can surely eat 7-10Mil. 6.67M on a 3rd string inactive on gamedays QB is a bigger waste of money than 7.67M for an extra roster spot. Even if not a QB, that spot could go to an extra OL, DB, or whatever. You gotta pay him anyway, don't make it worse by potentially having to play him to justify that money.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I still think Pace needs to explore the idea of trading Fields to get back the 4th rounder you gave up for Foles, and maybe to get back into the 5th round. I think Fields could fetch a 4th and a 5th.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fields should be either #1 or #3 on the depth chart to start the season, depending on whether he's ready or not. It makes absolutely no sense to have him as #2 and being the primary backup.

If he's ready, he starts, period.

If he isn't ready, then don't put yourself in a position where you have to put him in early due to injury/bad QB performance from the starter.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Bears can't afford to cut Foles this year - would cost an additional $5M this year to cut him - they dont have the money to sign their rookies and also cut Foles.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bears can't afford to cut Foles this year - would cost an additional $5M this year to cut him - they dont have the money to sign their rookies and also cut Foles.
1 million if they do it after June 1st.

They could go either way. I think Nagy likes him too much to pitch him to make room for a backup LB.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Our QB hit this year will be under $20m regardless of what we do with Foles after 6-1.
By dropping to 11, Fields will earn a bit over 1/2 as much as the top 3 picks will. Exactly 1/2 the guaranteed money as the #3. Seems the 1st 7 picks are on a different scale than the rest of the draft.

Last edited:

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
QB [3]: Dalton, Fields, Foles

Obviously, the dream scenario is that Fields grabs the job early in camp, Dalton becomes a backup veteran mentor, and someone loses a QB and trade for Foles.

It seems unlikely based on recent reporting that Foles is going to be tradeable so he will become the highest paid assistant QB coach in the history of the league and hopefully earn his money as a mentor for Fields. I do not expect Dalton, if he starts week 1, to make it much past week 3 or 4.

Short Term: Good
Long Term: We are going to need a cost-effective backup who can do a little bit more of what Fields can do.

RB [4]: Montgomery, Cohen, Williams, Hebert

This is another one that is easy to predict.

-The Bears finally have some actual depth behind Montgomery
-They finally have a KR making an appropriate amount of money.
-I am intrigued to see how they use Williams as he seems to be a blend of Cohen and Monty.

Short Term: Rock solid and better depth than we have ever had.
Long Term: No need 3/4 guys are under contract for 2022.
It's funny how the QB room is now one of the best in the league. We have a potential elite rookie QB and once Fields is starting two of the best backup qb's there are.

We may also have the best Rb room in the league.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I understand everyone thinks Nall should be gone, but Pierce seems to be totally forgotten.

I think Pierce is getting beaten out by the UDFA from Coastal Carolina. I don't see him on the team or the PS this year.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears don't sound like they are keeping Foles. The question they have to answer is does taking a cap hit on releasing Foles and adding another body make the Bears a better team....