Young Bears We Need to Take a Step

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Honestly, I don’t have the best feeling about Cole Kmet.

I actually feel the exact opposite to the point I'm not hoping, but expecting him to break out. The kid showed a lot of heart and determination in his play. He was starting to get involved toward the end of the year to where he was averaging about 5-6 targets a game. I expect that trend to continue into this year where he is getting more targets than Jimmy Graham outside the redzone.

The biggest knock everyone has on him is his fumbles, but to me it was a matter of him fighting for yards and unfortunately losing the ball or the ref allowing gang tackling after forward progress was stopped. I could live with those plays and don't think the fumbles are indicative to his play. They happen in those situations and I chalk it up to him being passionate and trying to make the most of his opportunities.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Obviously the Bears have some holes on the roster and they are not stacked with resources this year or next.

What are your power rankings of younger/unheralded Bears that would be a huge boost if they turned into legit players.

1. Ifedi/Borom

Obviously, Justin Fields is the priority. Getting solid consistent, maybe even above average, OT play from one of these guys at RT would benefit Fields and allow the Bears to focus next offseason on other areas of need.

2. Kindle Vildor

If he could become a solid CB2 that would be a massive win for the Bears for 2021, and allow them some flexibility in 2022. As of right now CB2 is probably the short term and long term position I am most concerned about.

3. Cole Kmet

It would be a big boost if he could take a step as a receiver and give the Bears a complete TE for the first time in a decade. It would also give them a long term player at a difficult position to fill.
I'm praying Borom beats out Ifedi in camp. Borom was a steal where we picked him and he has that nasty attitude we need.

yep, both Kmet and Vildor need to take that next step plus some.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I really hope we do something in FA as a stop gap. I'm pretty high on Jenkins, but I'm not completely comfortable with him coming in at LT right out of the gate. I'm good w/ RT though.
Look at this way, even with Jenkins switching to LT he cannot be any worse than Leno. The tape shows that he has what it takes to be fine at LT

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I'm not counting on this. In fact, I'm like 80% sure it's not going to happen.

Why did this guy not play LT in college?
Because the RT got hurt and the only depth had no experience at RT.....I know it sounds a little lame, but that is the story.

Luke

Liked Posts:
Because the RT got hurt and the only depth had no experience at RT.....I know it sounds a little lame, but that is the story.

totally lame. now he's 2nd string right tackle after spring practice but couldn't play anything but LT last year.
If the NFL thought Jenkins could be a LT, he would have went in round 1.
Hopefully, Pace is the smartest of the bunch and this works out.
We know how that usually ends up though.

Last edited:

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Funny. That's exactly what I thought when @WindyCity told me yesterday...it sounds a little lame.

I get the depth concerns at OK St, but I gotta think your best OT plays left no matter what. It leads me to believe he's not nimble.

I like that we have a bruiser at RT, but I think posters are smoking hopium that he starts LT at the beginning of the year. Pace is going to pick up someone before long.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
totally lame. now he's 2nd string right tackle after spring practice but couldn't play anything but LT last year.
If the NFL thought Jenkins could be a LT, he would have went in round 1.
Hopefully, Pace is the smartest of the bunch and this works out.
We know how that usually ends up though.
My dumb ass didn't even think about that.

If he was legit at starting at LT he wouldn't have slid into the 2nd round for Pace to trade up.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The people I talk to say this upcoming recruiting class is really good, and many are confident they can make another run to the Final Four. Drew is a great coach.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Too many completely writing off Michael Joseph at CB...

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I'm not worried about our defense sliding this year. We're not competing for a Superbowl right now. We have time to figure out how to replace Fuller and build depth at CB.

And even if we don't... Well, we've had shit offensive play hold a championship-level defense back. I'm far more confident in our offense taking a big step when Fields takes control, let's see if he can bail out a middling defense ?‍♂️

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Funny. That's exactly what I thought when @WindyCity told me yesterday...it sounds a little lame.

I get the depth concerns at OK St, but I gotta think your best OT plays left no matter what. It leads me to believe he's not nimble.

I like that we have a bruiser at RT, but I think posters are smoking hopium that he starts LT at the beginning of the year. Pace is going to pick up someone before long.
I do not think it is lame.

If the 3rd OT has only played LT and Jenkins has experience at RT, why force a young player and fist time starter to switch sides?

Jenkins will be fine at LT. People act like it is somehow vastly different than playing RT, it is not like RT comes with training wheels.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My dumb ass didn't even think about that.

If he was legit at starting at LT he wouldn't have slid into the 2nd round for Pace to trade up.
If Aaron was a legit pass rusher he would not have slid to 12.

If Mahones was a legit QB he would not have slid to 10.

Half the league's starting LTs are not 1st round picks.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Other than JJ and Jackson we have 14 other DBs on the roster that is a mix of vets and younger players. I sure hope we find the other corner, slot and SS that is capable of starting, but the reality is I'm not sure who would be the front runners. It would be nice if a young DB was stepping up, but I honestly think the secondary is going to be the most interesting battle this year in TC.

- I want Jenkins to start and to stay at one position if possible.
- I want Fields to be working with the Practice Squad against the #1 Defense initially and see how both Andy and Justin do in the beginning of the season, but be preparing Justin to take over at ANY time.
- Hope Borom gets as many reps as possible, because as a 5th rounder he is likely buried behind all the vets.
- Herbert, because it seems to be a position that can contribute right away if given the chance.
- Tonga, we need a big guy in the middle to spell Goldman (It will be nice to have him back)
- Newsome, if Mooney was able to contribute right away, there is hope for Newsome, but he too is buried behind FA signings

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We are clearly entering into a new phase of team building.

We need some young defenders to step up because I think that money is going to shift to the offense in the next few years to maximize Fields rookie window and development.

That means the defense needs to get younger and cheaper, either through guys on the roster or draft picks in 22 and 23.

But we already have massive contracts at every spot, except CB,

DL: Goldman, Nichols [Likely]
LB: Smith [Likely]
OLB: Mack
S: Jackson

We need some young, cheap, and cost controlled guys to fit in with that expensive core.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I do not think it is lame.

If the 3rd OT has only played LT and Jenkins has experience at RT, why force a young player and fist time starter to switch sides?

Jenkins will be fine at LT. People act like it is somehow vastly different than playing RT, it is not like RT comes with training wheels.
Did you just counter your own point in a single post, that is talent ......

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Did you just counter your own point in a single post, that is talent ......
I guess I did.

But I understand the OK St coaches trying to protect an 18 year old freshman.

The challenge of RT to LT is retraining your body and flipping your stance. You are not going against easier pass rushers.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I guess I did.

But I understand the OK St coaches trying to protect an 18 year old freshman.

The challenge of RT to LT is retraining your body and flipping your stance. You are not going against easier pass rushers.
I was just messing with you, because I actually agree, a kid right out of HS likely needs a little protection.

I am hoping that Jenkins can be a LT, and I think that is the plan (2nd and a 3rd, plus releasing Leno). Additionally, I hope if they start him out there, they keep him there.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
We need to see something from that Cole Kmet this year for sure or else Pace will need to find another TE. Nagy’s offense needs a good TE to make it go. Nagy’s offense was more dynamic when Trey Burton was healthy & then he turned into a head case. Nagy’s offense didn’t look the same after that. If you remember when Nagy was calling plays in KC in the playoffs vs Titans. His play calling was working & then Kelce got hurt & the offense went cold. Nagy’s offensive system relies heavily on a good TE.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
That means the defense needs to get younger and cheaper, either through guys on the roster or draft picks in 22 and 23.
We need some young, cheap, and cost controlled guys to fit in with that expensive core.
When you think about it that really is Pace's strength, he just needs the consistent draft capital. He has already shown he can build a top-rated defense... a good portion of which was done thru later round selections.

If Fields shores up what has clearly been the largest roster hole and also a big leak for draft capital and free agency dollars, this team can take off.

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
I’ll also say Kmet. He doesn’t pan out then we have absolutely nothing at TE going forward.