My hope for Nagy...

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Many here on the board know I have been calling to fire Nagy since the end of 2019. If Fields ends up being a player, we may have to deal with Nagy a few more years despite him being what I feel is a well below average head coach. Since we may be saddled with Nagy, if we are going to be successful with him this is how I see it going down:

1). Hope that Fields is the square peg for the square hole. Meaning that Fields combination of his ability to run the RPO, downfield accuracy and decision-making are the tools that will succeed within Nagy's system and his game won't require large changes. We know Trubisky was not good enough to be the guy but did Nagy get the most out of him? I think Lazor's system was kinder to Trubisky than Nagy's and we can't have another mismatched QB and system.

2). He permanently hands off play-calling to a qualified OC. No matter how much Fields fits in the system, there are going to be nuances where Fields excels, and you must custom fit a system for him. This is just a little too much for Nagy to handle and better for an OC to manage. Nagy will still likely control the offense, but in the flow of the game the OC has a better opportunity to look at individual matchups on the OL and the secondary and adjust the game plan on the fly.

3). Run Game. I think the team made definite steps to improve the OL talent in this draft, but the OL must be coached better and the timing has to be impeccable in the zone scheme. Nagy has to grind the details as well as the rest of the staff. If the RG leaves his double team just a quarter second late, he can miss the LB completely and run gets stopped for no gain instead of a nice 4 yard pickup. Yes, the OL lacked talent the last few years, but the execution has been bad the entirety of Nagy's tenure. It must improve no matter who throws the ball.

Nagy will certainly have a better offense this year than he has ever had, but the job of a coach is to get the most out of the talent you have. I still have huge doubts about his ability to do just that. I still see him more as a pass play designer than play caller. I think it will take a tremendous staff underneath him for the Bears to outcoach another team. But here's to hoping..

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So here's one for you.

I think having Fields is going to re-write the Nagy narrative.

As in, fans are going to find out they were very wrong about a lot of the narratives on Matt Nagy, and that most of those narratives were pushed by local media to sell papers/clicks.

Could be why Matt isn't doing local appearances....

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
So here's one for you.

As in, fans are going to find out they were very wrong about a lot of the narratives on Matt Nagy, and that most of those narratives were pushed by local media to sell papers/clicks.

Some of these narratives were witnessed by fans watching some of the bone headed decisions in game by Nagy...

Really good QBs have a tendency to make GMs and HCs look good.....I am hoping this is the case with Fields

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
So here's one for you.

3rd and goal jet sweep to a tight end. Fuck Nagy and his stupid play calling. JF is going to elevate this entire team; Nagy's being smart and adjusting TO him.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
3rd and goal jet sweep to a tight end. Fuck Nagy and his stupid play calling. JF is going to elevate this entire team; Nagy's being smart and adjusting TO him.

They are going to be adjusting to each other.

Ever consider that Nagy called the jet sweep because he didn't trust his quarterback?

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I sure wish our hope in Justin could be based solely upon his ability to execute, but unfortunately his success might be based upon his ability to overcome poor coaching.

I do feel that Nagy was a little handcuffed with Trubisky, BUT that does not excuse him from personnel groupings being bad, play call timeliness, poor play selection for the situation and overall game management.

Of all those shortcomings, I think that play call selection might be the only one that Mitch had a negative effect on. Everything else was a Nagy issue, and he needs to improve or as so many of us have suggested, let the OC call the plays.

If he is not worried about play selection then it might actually help him be more aware of the situation and personnel on the field....win/win

I want Nagy to succeed, but I want Justin to succeed more, even if that means we end up moving on from Nagy.....

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

Ever consider that Nagy called the jet sweep because he didn't trust his quarterback?
I think you could be partially right. The QB forced Nagy to look at alternate plays that did not include Trubisky. However, in that scenario he ignored the fact that the situation (being on the goal line) did not call for a sweep.

In addition to running a sweep he had a tendency to run it to the short side with Graham as the lead blocker..... Sorry but Nagy had too many better alternatives, and that is 100% on him.

Trubisky limited Nagy in the passing game, but Nagy was still responsible for the run game and personnel/situational awareness.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
So here's one for you.

Thanks Matt. I hope you're right and we see what your system is supposed to look like this season. Four years in.

What would you say your identity is, so that us casual fans have some accurate barometer with which to fairly judge this offense?

Brownie

Liked Posts:

..to a TIGHT END tho. A lumbering one at that.

Those are the "Ima out smart you , youll never see this coming" plays that we are all talking about. We need to see more "let me put my guys in advantageous situations and use the talent I DO have" plays.

Like more Kmet or Graham jump balls in the end zone instead of them on the jet sweep.

Canth

Liked Posts:
It will be very interesting to see what offensive changes occur this year. The qb is the obvious one, but I am also interested to see if they can run the ball effectively when they want to run the ball.

There were times when the play calling was suspect, but you look at the qb and you look at the lack of push by the offensive line and go...well, what can they call in short yardage? They didn't really have an identity for that.

And how many times did we see wide open receivers that Trubisky missed - either in seeing them or with the actual throw? With no consistent downfield threat, defenses could key on shorter routes and stopping the run more easily.

I would generally prefer Lazor to be the playcaller - both because he is likely better at it. But also because Nagy needs to keep a better overall view of what the heck is going on from play to play for both sides of the ball. He needs to focus on better clock management and paying attention to the flow of the game.

The other big question mark will be - can they adjust to the game on the fly as it unfolds? That has been another weakness that they really need to improve upon.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Really good QBs have a tendency to make GMs and HCs look good.....I am hoping this is the case with Fields
And that is what worries me. Fields plays well enough for Nagy to keep his job, meanwhile the offense never reaches the potential it would under solid coaching.

Of course, we could be getting way ahead of ourselves. Nagy couldn't even get a guy that knew his system ready to play (Foles), so assuming we are going to have this lighting quick development with Fields is unlikely.

If Nagy is stubborn enough to resume playcalling after giving it up last year, he is showing his true colors.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He might be redeemable; I'm willing to see how Nagy performs this year.

Brownie

Liked Posts:
And that is what worries me. Fields plays well enough for Nagy to keep his job, meanwhile the offense never reaches the potential it would under solid coaching.

Of course, we could be getting way ahead of ourselves. Nagy couldn't even get a guy that knew his system ready to play (Foles), so assuming we are going to have this lighting quick development with Fields is unlikely.

If Nagy is stubborn enough to resume playcalling after giving it up last year, he is showing his true colors.
A few weeks back he said he will be calling plays again next season.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
It will be very interesting to see what offensive changes occur this year.
I give Nagy little credit, but I think the one area he is good at is a pass play designer. He can scheme some guys open, but our QBs rarely got it there.

If Fields downfield accuracy holds up in the pros, that alone will help get the offense out of the cellar.

Expect some RPO. We did it under Mitch but he was just bad at it, he rarely got the reads correct.

I don't expect major changes to the scheme. Nagy is going to Nagy. We have seen it for 3 years except when Lazor got to call a few games.

What we should see is better execution due to a better QB play, better OL play and hopefully the occasional WTF scramble by Fields that only a man with that type of athletic talent can do.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Many here on the board know I have been calling to fire Nagy since the end of 2019. If Fields ends up being a player, we may have to deal with Nagy a few more years despite him being what I feel is a well below average head coach. Since we may be saddled with Nagy, if we are going to be successful with him this is how I see it going down:

1). Hope that Fields is the square peg for the square hole. Meaning that Fields combination of his ability to run the RPO, downfield accuracy and decision-making are the tools that will succeed within Nagy's system and his game won't require large changes. We know Trubisky was not good enough to be the guy but did Nagy get the most out of him? I think Lazor's system was kinder to Trubisky than Nagy's and we can't have another mismatched QB and system.

2). He permanently hands off play-calling to a qualified OC. No matter how much Fields fits in the system, there are going to be nuances where Fields excels, and you must custom fit a system for him. This is just a little too much for Nagy to handle and better for an OC to manage. Nagy will still likely control the offense, but in the flow of the game the OC has a better opportunity to look at individual matchups on the OL and the secondary and adjust the game plan on the fly.

3). Run Game. I think the team made definite steps to improve the OL talent in this draft, but the OL must be coached better and the timing has to be impeccable in the zone scheme. Nagy has to grind the details as well as the rest of the staff. If the RG leaves his double team just a quarter second late, he can miss the LB completely and run gets stopped for no gain instead of a nice 4 yard pickup. Yes, the OL lacked talent the last few years, but the execution has been bad the entirety of Nagy's tenure. It must improve no matter who throws the ball.

Nagy will certainly have a better offense this year than he has ever had, but the job of a coach is to get the most out of the talent you have. I still have huge doubts about his ability to do just that. I still see him more as a pass play designer than play caller. I think it will take a tremendous staff underneath him for the Bears to outcoach another team. But here's to hoping..

He has already said he will be calling plays

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy has no idea how to keep a defense off balance...that and weird personnel selections for plays...

My two biggest gripes

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Oh my God!

Fields might even be good enough to win a Super Bowl and then we'll really be stuck with Nagy!

?