Roster Projection: WR and TE

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It depends how late he gets cut and who needs a WR. If he is a training camp cut, I think a team can get him at a reasonable price.
I would love to add Kirk, if does end up as the odd man out in Arizona, I wonder if we could make a player for player deal to inherit that contract and get him.

I would even flip a 2023 day 3 pick not to have to bid on him.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
In addition to Horsted, there's also Darion Clark at TE who there was some talk about at camp last year. I can't imagine they count Holtz as TE 3...he's more hybrid TE4 / FB

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I look at this group as pretty good right now. I'd temper expectations just because rookie QBs typically aren't that good for WRs, so I'd expect more TE and less pure yardage.

The elephant on the corner is ARob. I'm thinking the only way the Bears can keep him is if they are the highest bidder. Franchising again will be expensive (+20% of current tag), so it might be a better usage of cap space to pursue another FA.

I do like some of your youth in Mooney and Kmet, so there are some pieces there.

Decatur Staley

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Marquise Goodwin could be a big contributor if he can stay healthy... He was dealing with a lot of injuries and personal issues in SF. He's got the talent to be better than most on this board seem to realise.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I think wims and Ridley are as good as gone

I think Miller is kept around as camp insurance in case of injuries to that group or as trade bait for others who are hit with injuries at wr (but could see the Bears trading him at any time if they get an offer)

The group needs speed

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Would rather have Horsted than Holtz and suspect Antmil will be gone.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
It’s time to back up the brinks truck for A-Rob.

Bears have no 1st round pick. The 2nd round has been fruitful with rookie WR but would be risky to go into next year with Mooney and a 2nd round rookie as their top 2 WR. I could see the Bears try to reunite Fields with Olave or my personal favorite Garrett Wilson.

Top NFL free-agent wide receivers in 2022
1) Davante Adams, Green Bay Packers
2) Allen Robinson, Chicago Bears
3) Calvin Ridley, Atlanta Falcons*
4) Chris Godwin, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
5) D.J. Moore, Carolina Panthers*
6) Will Fuller, Miami Dolphins
7) Robby Anderson, Carolina Panthers
8) JuJu Smith-Schuster, Pittsburgh Steelers
9) D.J. Chark, Jacksonville Jaguars
Garrett Wilson and Olave both have game, they're impressive. It would be cool to have one of them back with Fields.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Speaking of Olave and Wilson, how about their TE Ruckert? Is he a real prospect and if so what kind of draft position is he looking at? He had a couple nice games with Fields and seemed to be a solid target.

MarkBear

?⬇️
Liked Posts:
WR [6]: Robinson, Mooney, Miller, Newsome, Goodwin, Byrd

This group has a few interesting decisions as they have added some serious cheap speed and a draft pick in Newsome. I think the top 3 are who we think they are. They were unable to trade Miller so we should see what he can do with real QB play and perhaps he has a Kyle Fuller like turn around.

Javon Wims can get launched into the sun for all I care. The real battle will be Ridley vs Goodwin and Byrd. I am giving it to Goodwin and Byrd as they have actually done something in the NFL and have an elite trait that Ridley does not.

Shor Term: This is a good group with a true #1 a good #2 and way more speed than the past.
Long Term: The only players under contract beyond this season are Mooney and Newsome. The Bears need to get something done with Robinson, otherwise next offseason could be a lot of turnover at this position, which we do not need.

TE [3]: Kmet, Graham, Holtz

I was a little surprised that Graham made it through the salary cap purge, but they do not have anyone who can really replace him and he is a good redzone target. The Bears need more from Kmet as a receiver if they are going to go with more spread, his blocking is already a plus. Holtz makes it as the backup TE and FB.

Short Term: A little light on depth.
Long Term: They need a cost-effective U TE, how big of a need will be determined by how much Kmet grows as a pass catcher.

Holtz is hot garbage

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
If he isn't motivated to get a bigger meal ticket (Paycheck) next year, he better play his ass off. Wims too if by some miracle he makes the 53

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I still kinda like Jesper Horstead. I'd like to give him a shot to get some reps behind Graham. Conversely, I hate Holtz and think they really could use an in-line blocking TE. Basically, what Demetrius Harris was supposed to be, but not taking time away from Kmet and with actual blocking ability.

This and more this. My only disagreement is that I think they need a true blocking FB. I think they need a banger who can crack some skulls, whose lead blocking make pancakes out of ILBs, and can line up in-line in one back sets, but with the ability to motion in and out of the backfield, pass block, and then shade out to the flat for the easy reception.

Instead of trying to find a TE that can play the FB position, they need a guy that is a massive FB, like my man Ben Mason who Baltimore took, and then they'll be fine.

Either way, I like your thinking, but have only a subtle disagreement.

bullsrose

Liked Posts:
Speaking of Olave and Wilson, how about their TE Ruckert? Is he a real prospect and if so what kind of draft position is he looking at? He had a couple nice games with Fields and seemed to be a solid target.

Dude looks solid, is projected as a 2nd or 3rd rd pick but coulc be a late first depending on how much his role is expanded. would love him as our 2nd rd pick this upcoming yr

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hearing good things about Goodwin at this point. I think the last spots are between Dazz, Byrd, Wims and Ridley.

I wonder if the injury means Daz gets stashed either IR or PS.

My question here is if we have/need a taller WR to backup Robinson.

My gut says Butt doesn't make the roster.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
I thought Jake Butt was the answer