Who was a better prospect coming out of college? Mitch or Justin?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
PFF had Trubisky the highest rated QB and Fields is only 3rd

greg23

Liked Posts:
Only a genius GM can grab the top rated qb and second/third rated qb; five years apart.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
If a player coming out of college is both statistically and athletically inferior to who you are comparing him to, I think that kind of answers the question as to who is/was the better prospect. The answer is clearly Justin Fields. I'm not sure you could point to a single thing Mitch did at North Carolina in his one year as a starter that was better than anything Justin Fields did in his 2 seasons at Ohio State while playing against better competition.

Justin Fields has been on everybody's radar since he was in High School. Nobody knew who Mitch Trubisky was until a few months before the NFL draft.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Trubisky was always considered the more long term sure bet based on style of play fitting the NFL prototype. He was raw but had great accuracy in college and fit a very Steve Young type mold. His mental acumen, toughness (ability to ignore the criticism) and leadership deficiencies were underestimated.

The Bears and their fans did him no favors, boo'ed before ever putting on the jersey and surrounded by coaches that either had no clue or gave no shits about him.

Fields floor and ceiling are so much higher than Trubisky's ever were and style fits the modern NFL. I liked Trubisky at the time because pre-Mahomes, the guys that would run with some regularity always seemed to stress defenses but either break down or fall short as passers(Tarkington, Cunningham, McNabb, Vick, Newton, Winston, Manzel, RGIII) .

I will hope and cheer Fields on as I did Mitch until he isn't a Bear. I have much less doubt about him being good to great. In fact his 6'3" 225 frame , athleticism, passing ability, level of competion, and experience, I would say, has not ever been seen coming out of college. Mahomes shocked the world, and I can't help shake the feeling that the guy drafted at #11 is going to be like the guy drafted at #10 4 yrs ago.

Varking

Enigma
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Toronto FC
  1. Minnesota Timberwolves
  1. Carolina Panthers
  1. Colorado Avalanche
  1. Florida Gators
Are you fucking kidding me?

Mitch was Mr. Ohio!

Oh, Shit, yrseariusssss.....
Pretty sure Justin was Mr Georgia despite only playing 7 games due to a broken finger.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This past draft class was highly touted...higher than in 2017......

That and an RTA epass will get you a ride on the L...

Myrradah

Liked Posts:
If nothing else, its simply fields based on the number of games played and the kind of games played - all better than Mitch. But thats not to say Mitch was not a good prospect, it depends on how he, and fields for that matter, fit the offense and coach. So what you are asking should statistically be self evident but the success of the QB is based on coach and system.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why are yall giving proper correct answers?

Mako Mitch was the greatest QB evah

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Considering Trubisky didn't have much of a college career its Fields.