Where do you rank David Montgomery at RB?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Because he lacks really special qualities. No break away speed, doesn't make everyone miss, isn't mowing down dudes etc. Me putting him in that range isn't a knock on him so relax
He has that stat where someone can grab his ankle and he gets like a halve a yard and then some other guy grabs his other ankle and then he gets like 1.5 more yards before another guy tackles him by an elbow or two for .75 yards and he winds up with more yards than just the half a yard. So like 2.75 yards/3 contacts.

Caveroamer

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He has that stat where someone can grab his ankle and he gets like a halve a yard and then some other guy grabs his other ankle and then he gets like 1.5 more yards before another guy tackles him by an elbow or two for .75 yards and he winds up with more yards than just the half a yard. So like 2.75 yards/3 contacts.
pretty sure that stat is called "fuck all ya'all!" and he has a solid 10 in that.

Reactions: DC

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I'm literally triggered by everyone undervaluing David Montgomery. He's right that you guys disrespect him, but he's wrong to take it personally from a bunch of Boomer Ableist dorks like you guys.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
tell you what tho, I'll never get the love for howard. he was fine and all, but thats it. fine

greg23

Liked Posts:
Comparing him to Forte; is an insult to Forte

greg23

Liked Posts:
If he wants to feel disrespected; he could look no further than his own organization

Sign a viable fa starter in Damien Williams
Draft a 6th round back

He was a volume guy last year

4th in carries
6th ish in yards
But like 17th in 20+yard gains....shows his lack of burst and poor oline

Always said he's easily replaceable and league average.....he's not a top 10 running back as he's clearly less talented than

McCafferty
Kamara
Elliott
Cook
Jones
Henry
Chubb
Taylor
Barkley
Jacobs

There are about 5 others similar or better and then a handful who are very similar after that

msadows

Liked Posts:
He was 5th in total yards last year behind a mutt line and crappy play calling. How does that make him 11-15? Get a clue.

because he’s not
If he wants to feel disrespected; he could look no further than his own organization

Sign a viable fa starter in Damien Williams
Draft a 6th round back

He was a volume guy last year

4th in carries
6th ish in yards
But like 17th in 20+yard gains....shows his lack of burst and poor oline

Always said he's easily replaceable and league average.....he's not a top 10 running back as he's clearly less talented than

McCafferty
Kamara
Elliott
Cook
Jones
Henry
Chubb
Taylor
Barkley
Jacobs

There are about 5 others similar or better and then a handful who are very similar after that

Agreed, but I’ll also give him the benefit of the doubt for now. A lot of those guys you listed have had a much better offensive line during their careers, and/or better overall supporting casts.

I don’t see Damien Williams as competition for Monty. He’s here more so to take snaps away from Tarik Cohen so they don’t have to give him 90ish rushes again and let him focus on what he truly excels at as a rb(pass catching).

Monty did have few explosive plays, but that’s usually an indicator of blocking at the next level which is a tight end/wr issue as well. When Mooney is your best blocker at wideout you got issues

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Dropping Patterson should help, and Cohen was more WR than RB before he got hurt. D. Williams is likely backup insurance unless he really shows something.

Bears quietly ran quite a bit last season, but the offense overall sucked balls. Competent OL play will help that a ton, almost as much as competent QB play will allow more offensive plays overall + Nagy to do what he's wanted to, which probably works with a good QB. Defenses straight up admitted to stacking the box and forcing Mitch to beat em, which he couldn't. Nagy clearly sucked in adapting to a Mitch/Foles talent level QB and run game suffered for it fiercely.

Should be a better litmus test for Monty and the run game with QB fixed (yes - even Red Riffle is an improvement til Fields rolls out).

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Mixon, Jacobs, Ekeler, Chris Carson (I mean come on, really), Kareem Hunt are NOT better than Montgomery.

Idk why you guys are ableist and hate on RBs just because they're not fast, jesus you guys are in love with dumb measurables. Everyone is saying Monty "is ok," because he can't run a 9.6 100M. Ok, whatever.
Everyone?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If he doesn't need to make chicken salad out of chicken crap, he'll start getting more respect. That and one less deke behind the line but one may be a result of the other.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
He’s good enough for what the Bears need. Aaron Jones is only as good as people think because of Rodgers. Put him on a different team and he is average at best. RBs are made by their supporting cast not the other way around.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
He is right around 5-7th best in the league. The tape never lies and what he does behind the line he was behind is amazing

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He is:
Cheap
generally available, especially given his workload
solid ball security
can competently run, run routes and catch, and block, and I'd say he's a bit above average at each

I don't think any team benefits from signing RBs to big long term deals, so these are the traits I look for. Don't invest much, draft an RB in rounds 3-6 every other year, sign cheap guys to fill in the gaps. It's rare that RBs are anywhere near elite value on their second deal, and even if they are it's a position that is usually very dependent on other players.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
People overrate breakaway speed in running backs and wide receivers. For every DK Metcalf there's 5 Josh Doctons. A running back needs to be able to see the holes, hit them and break tackles first which Montgomery excels at. His physical limitations just cap his upside at the other backs who have the same qualities and a higher top end. Montgomery's point of contact balance and ability to squirm out of some tackles and get the extra yards is rather impressive.

He is at least top 15. I'd settle for back half of the top 10 or just outside of that. He's a guy you can grind defenses down with, and keep in mind, he's a super high character guy that other players love. That's not worth nothing. The Damien Williams signing speaks more to them not seeing Cohen as being able to handle the load in a pinch and more of a commitment to the running game, not an indictment against Montgomery.

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
He went from abysmal to very good last year and I think volume helps him much like it did Howard. But basically Montgomery gets what’s blocked plus a little extra ground out on top of that. His ability to play three downs and be the bell cow does add a lot of value, but I’m still not sure that gets you into the “special” tier of RB’s in the league.

Apparently he’s been doing some speed training over the offseason which is great, but unless that translates into becoming more effective when getting only 12-14 carries per game I don’t see how that really helps him or us.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
He is a solid running back. Definitely not an issue that needs addressed. It's hard to gauge how well he can play with what he had to play through last year. Top 15 for sure and probably a top 10 running back (possibly higher) with a quarterback who can get over the top of a defense. Yes, top 5 finisher last year but 1000 yards for a back isn't really the bar anymore.

His receiving skills are on point for sure.

Would like to see more short yardage conversions, he's a big dude.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I like Montgomery, but just to play devil's advocate, most of his production came against some truly terrible defenses.
I guess none of those other running backs played terrible defenses.. I'm sure all those running backs played behind the worst line in football for 10 weeks too.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I think this explains david montgomery the best lmfao :)