Bears OTA 2

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Yeah, heard that on the Jahns podcast too. He said that he fully expects Marquise Goodwin and Damiere Byrd to make the team and that both Wims and Miller are on the bubble. I would be surprised to see Wims make the 53 man team at this point.

The forgotten man seems to be Riley Ridley. You just never hear anything about him, so I assume that is also not good for his chances to make the roster again especially as he did not play special teams. At least, I don't remember ever hearing about him playing special teams.
Riley Ridley on the bubble? How could this be possible. CCS told me that he must be good. They spent a 4th round pick on him!

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We never heard about Mitch having command in the huddle

Canth

Liked Posts:
Is jahns podcast free or is that on the athletic?
It is free. Actually both Jahns and Wiederer are now posting these podcasts and breakdowns on youtube. The Hoge and Jahns podcast was pretty much always free, although at one ooint during the season there would be one episode per week that was for the athletic only. But these offseason ones so far have all been on youtube.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Yeah we did. It was a report he told some guy "you don't leave the huddle until I say so!" Unfortunately his voice cracked and the guy left anyway
There actually was a report he said fuck in the huddle at one point and caught guys off guard lol. That was the only story I ever heard about his huddle presence

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Mitch was a puppy dog. He could have earned respect with high level QB play. But dude was not a natural leader.

Fields is a different story. Just seein him on tv, you don't want to piss him off. It's like damn, this dude means business

idk, just something about how he carries himself. I think it's gon be a pretty big culture shift with him in there.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Mitch was a puppy dog. He could have earned respect with high level QB play. But dude was not a natural leader.

Fields is a different story. Just seein him on tv, you don't want to piss him off. It's like damn, this dude means business

idk, just something about how he carries himself. I think it's gon be a pretty big culture shift with him in there.
Fields would never, ever leave social media because he might get his feelings hurt by someone's post.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

If mitch signed up on the CCS how long would it take for him to log off forever?

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Guys, this isn't an attempt to dampen the Fields enthusiasm, but I disagree with your assessment of Mitch's leadership. Guys wanted to play for him, especially when people still had hope that he was the answer at QB. The oft-injured Kyle Long played through way more injuries than he should have because he wanted to support Mitch. And as I've documented before, I had a good long talk with two of his linemen from North Carolina, and they had nothing but accolades for him. They loved the guy, and believe me, it was in a social setting where they had nothing to gain or lose. We all know that Mitch was lacking at QB. My only regret with Mitch was that he was our first round pick- dude is going to be an amazing backup; just not for the Bears.

Having said all that, Fields is as cool as the underside of a pillow and seems to be on a different level.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Guys, this isn't an attempt to dampen the Fields enthusiasm, but I disagree with your assessment of Mitch's leadership. Guys wanted to play for him, especially when people still had hope that he was the answer at QB. The oft-injured Kyle Long played through way more injuries than he should have because he wanted to support Mitch. And as I've documented before, I had a good long talk with two of his linemen from North Carolina, and they had nothing but accolades for him. They loved the guy, and believe me, it was in a social setting where they had nothing to gain or lose. We all know that Mitch was lacking at QB. My only regret with Mitch was that he was our first round pick- dude is going to be an amazing backup; just not for the Bears.

Having said all that, Fields is as cool as the underside of a pillow and seems to be on a different level.

players being desperate for their QB to succeed =/= leadership

Mitch was a genuinely nice guy. I'm sure everyone wanted the best for Trubs. But ain't nobody on that team scared of getting chewed out by him

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Fields seems like the kind of guy that would take screen shots and look at them before games
Maybe this is drinking a bit of the kool-aid, but Fields seems like the guy who would receive very little to no negative social media posts because he won't suck.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I believe all this but wanting to play for him is different than expecting to make more plays with him. More enthusiasm and smiles with the 2nd.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Quick, name a few "amazing backups". There is Fitzmagic and maybe only him.

Now before you go to Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers, technically they were backups but, in reality, they were starters in waiting with a Hall-of-Fame QB in front of them.

Consider that Nick Foles was an amazing backup in Philly. Why don't you want him here?

Trubisky is a really nice guy, but is limited as a QB. He is going to be a really nice backup QB in Buffalo, so long as their starter is not injuried. Perhaps, he will grow and become a solid QB in a pinch. Right now, he is running scared whenever he is on the field, except he is scared of running due to injuries in the past.

I really don't believe that he is a leader. I think that people really like him and try to do everything for him to succeed. They are figuratively running through walls because they want their friend to be successful, not because he led them to run through those walls (if that makes sense).

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Mitch was a genuinely nice guy. I'm sure everyone wanted the best for Trubs. But ain't nobody on that team scared of getting chewed out by him
Wow! I just tried to express the same thoughts, and you came out and nailed it with few words.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Quick, name a few "amazing backups". There is Fitzmagic and maybe only him.

Now before you go to Steve Young and Aaron Rodgers, technically they were backups but, in reality, they were starters in waiting with a Hall-of-Fame QB in front of them.

Consider that Nick Foles was an amazing backup in Philly. Why don't you want him here?

Trubisky is a really nice guy, but is limited as a QB. He is going to be a really nice backup QB in Buffalo, so long as their starter is not injuried. Perhaps, he will grow and become a solid QB in a pinch. Right now, he is running scared whenever he is on the field, except he is scared of running due to injuries in the past.
Okay, so let me ask you this question. Who would you rather have as a more capable backup than Trubisky? You mentioned Fitzpatrick, so there's one. Anyone else? I can't think of anyone. I stand by my assertion, Trubisky is an excellent backup QB. Just not for the Bears.
I really don't believe that he is a leader. I think that people really like him and try to do everything for him to succeed. They are figuratively running through walls because they want their friend to be successful, not because he led them to run through those walls (if that makes sense).
I don't know that I'm following the reasoning; effectively, if people are running through walls for someone, then their leader has something to do with the motivation for that. How or why they are inspired seems less material to me. There are different kinds of leaders, those who lead by doing and those who lead by talking. My sense is he isn't really the "talking" kind. He's got that old-school, raised-in-the-Midwest , lead by example mentality.

But we can agree to disagree here. One thing I think we can both agree on is that we're both extremely excited by his replacement. I literally cannot wait to watch the pre-season games. Mitch's biggest problem was that he's not a starting-caliber QB in the NFL, and he was drafted by a team that was not only loaded with defensive talent poised to break-out, but also that the team that drafted him has had an epic QB drought. Mitch simply couldn't live up to the expectations.

Last edited:

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah I don't know that chewing someone out is always the most productive. It depends on the player and situation, right? Remember how everyone tore Jay Cutler a new-one for chewing out and getting in J'Marcus Webb's face on national TV for basically, being J'Marcus Webb? Jay was perceived as the bad-guy there.

It's vaguely reminiscent of that scene from Crimson Tide when Denzell Washington wanted to pat the over-stressed crew on the back and Gene Hackman wanted to tear them a new one. Which one was right? I wish I knew; I fight this battle daily with my kids.