OT-NFL World Reacts To Calvin Johnson's Lions Admission

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Johnson had previously admitted that he wanted to play with Aaron Rodgers.

“Whenever we played Green Bay, whenever Aaron Rodgers was over on our sideline he would say, ‘Hey man, you need to come on over here.’ And I said, ‘I wish I could,’” Johnson told the All The Smoke podcast last year.

More in the link below.....

NFL World Reacts To Calvin Johnson's Lions Admission

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yikes...What a dangerous combination that would have made!

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Aaron Rodgers threatens to retire if he has to play in Green Bay again = ploy to get an extension?

Calvin Johnson and Barry Sanders threaten to retire if they have to play in Detroit again = truth, because it is Detroit.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yup, Lions bungled this, but at the time, they were currently in about the same position as the Bears are now, had went to a few playoffs, one and done, thought they were "close", etc etc.

Don't act as if this is the only time something like this has happened, witness the clusterfuck happening in GB right now.

Last edited:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most of this is only sour grapes. Detroit didn't end CJ's career, CJ and his agent did. So much of this story remains untold, and if CJ really wanted to play for another team it would have been easy. He could have easily forced the Lions to release him just by showing up, and his cap hit would have been immediately charged back to the Lions, and it would have placed them well over the cap.

"
Johnson’s disclosure makes the way his career ended even more confusing. Five years ago, we raised the question of whether Johnson wanted to be cut by the Lions. That would have extinguished any obligation to repay bonus money, and it would have allowed Johnson to play for any other team at any other time.

If he hadn’t retired when he did, the Lions would have had to figure out how to deal with a $24 million cap number for Johnson in 2016. Maybe they would have cut him. At a minimum, Johnson’s cap number gave him leverage that should have been used by his agents to get the Lions to agree not to ask him to return a portion of the bonus money, or to secure an unconditional release if he did. Instead, he had to pay back some money, the Lions avoided a $24 million cap charge, and they were able to squat on his rights indefinitely.

A year later, there was speculation that Johnson could return to the NFL, with a trade of his rights to a new team. If he wanted to play for someone else in 2017, he simply needed to pull a Brett Favre and show up. Instantly, Johnson’s $16 million salary would have landed back on the books. The Lions would have had to cut him or trade him, promptly.

It’s confusing, to say the least. If Johnson had played hardball, he could have gotten to keep his money or he could have obtained the ability to sign with a team or maybe both."

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Breaking news: WRs want to play with good QBs. I should make a thread...
Yes you should, so I can laugh. If you want to say WR's want to play on good teams, I could not argue, but to state he wanted to get away from Stafford is mind numbingly stupid. But hey, maybe he could have had 3,000 yds in a season for another QB, am I right? The only thing Stafford might have been guilty of is throwing him the ball too much.

Amazingly stupid take.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Yes you should, so I can laugh. If you want to say WR's want to play on good teams, I could not argue, but to state he wanted to get away from Stafford is mind numbingly stupid. But hey, maybe he could have had 3,000 yds in a season for another QB, am I right? The only thing Stafford might have been guilty of is throwing him the ball too much.

Amazingly stupid take.
you’re so insecure about stafford lol

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:

Amazingly stupid take.
Yeah, cause Stafford and Rodgers have the exact same success in the post season.

I get you're trying to fluff up the turd that is your NFL team, but good lord you're bad at it.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

Amazingly stupid take.

Thanks for summing up every single one of your posts on this board.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
“We asked would they release me or let me go to another team,” Johnson recently told WoodwardSports.com. “They wouldn’t.”

Asked whether he wanted to play for the Raiders,
Johnson said he would have gone anywhere. He also recognizes that quarterback Matthew Stafford wanted out, and that he got his wish.

“You know what, it sucked that they didn’t let me go, but they let Matthew go, but hey, you know, it is what it is,” Johnson said.

LTFOL, Dude wanted to be anywhere but Detroit, just like Stafford, just like Sanders.

This bullshit has aged well:

Maybe KMA?
Calvin Johnson prematurely retiring is pure speculation on your part. He never asked to be traded. AR's frustration with the bears is well documented. Keep trying. Keep losing.

Show me where CJ requested to be traded?

I still live rent free inside your head. LMAO.

Da Bears
doink doink

Fucking moron

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Tbh Johnson was a pussy for not forcing a trade like he could have (see article above). He easily could have played hardball.

But he didn’t and probably regrets it. He shouldn’t now he’s bitching about something he could have changed.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tbh Johnson was a pussy for not forcing a trade like he could have (see article above). He easily could have played hardball.

But he didn’t and probably regrets it. He shouldn’t now he’s bitching about something he could have changed.
exactly

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
“We asked would they release me or let me go to another team,” Johnson recently told WoodwardSports.com. “They wouldn’t.”

Asked whether he wanted to play for the Raiders,
Johnson said he would have gone anywhere. He also recognizes that quarterback Matthew Stafford wanted out, and that he got his wish.

“You know what, it sucked that they didn’t let me go, but they let Matthew go, but hey, you know, it is what it is,” Johnson said.

LTFOL, Dude wanted to be anywhere but Detroit, just like Stafford, just like Sanders.

This bullshit has aged well:

Fucking moron
All of this is revisionist history by CJ, as it was never once reported that he requested a trade when it was happening. Now, 6 years later, he says this, when it is quite clear that if he really wanted to go play for anyone else it would have been quite easy for him to accomplish.

Fucking mindless tool.

Maybe, just maybe, CJ is making the rounds spouting this crap as he is opening a new business (In Detroit of all places) and is looking for all the press he can get?

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Aren't you done taking your l's for the day you clueless fuck?
If you can keep returning after getting shit on here repeatedly by almost every single member of this board, then i dont see why i cant keep going after making one lazy post where i decided not to read more of the garbage you come here 50 times a day to spew.

"Anytime23 took a L"- A Lions banner at Ford Field, probably.