hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
This is fuckin Special person, what in the world is Stan thinking here. I am shocked on the stupidity of this move. At the very least, Stan should of taken a first rounder from Vegas for saving there ass, but know, our GM is to fuckin stupid to do that.
This current Hawks team is in no shape or form in competing for a championship, they are not even playoff material. Why, why why, this current GM is fucking useless.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I really didn't mind this move at face value, but if Fleury ends up retiring, Stan will end up with a ton of egg on his face, even if he gave up essentially nothing.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Least the upcoming season will be exciting!

It's obvious there was a heart to heart talk and the organization wants to keep Captain Toe's happy so that he doesn't sit out again...

Blackhawks rebuild idea does not make Jonathan Toews happy

“Bottom line is, I want to win,” Toews said on Saturday, via Lazerus. “The expectation for the other leaders on this team and myself is to come ready to training camp every year to be a playoff team. We prepare ourselves to win a Cup for our fans. I’ve never been told that we were going through a rebuild. That has never been communicated to me, for that matter. A lot of this comes as a shock because it’s a completely different direction than we expected.”

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is fuckin Special person, what in the world is Stan thinking here. I am shocked on the stupidity of this move. At the very least, Stan should of taken a first rounder from Vegas for saving there ass, but know, our GM is to fuckin stupid to do that.
This current Hawks team is in no shape or form in competing for a championship, they are not even playoff material. Why, why why, this current GM is fucking useless.
Lima, Kidney, Pinto, Black, Green, Chili, Fava, Jelly...

Shall I go on? ;)

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I really didn't mind this move at face value, but if Fleury ends up retiring, Stan will end up with a ton of egg on his face, even if he gave up essentially nothing.
If they were looking for a mentor for Lanks they could have gone cheaper and had some cap flexibility...even though MAF is one hell of a mentor.

If they are looking to go for it they are insane...I've seen reality TV personalities with more depth than the Blackhawks' roster.

Granada

Liked Posts:
If they were looking for a mentor for Lanks they could have gone cheaper and had some cap flexibility...even though MAF is one hell of a mentor.

If they are looking to go for it they are insane...I've seen reality TV personalities with more depth than the Blackhawks' roster.

I remember literally saying the same thing when Stan got Lehner, lol. And I think you liked that move at the time, but maybe I'm wrong.

I guess the difference in my thinking here is that, at least back then, they already had Crow. Fleury makes a ton but the tandem with Lankinen won't cost you 11-12 million like it did back then, and you actually have a goalie now in Lankinen that needs the best mentor available, which is Fleury by a long shot. That's why I don't mind a move like this now.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again: even on a rebuilding team, you need at least one dependable goalie. You couldn't roll with Lanks/Subban for an entire 82 game season. I know it's easy for fans to say, "yes you could, go 0-82" but that's obviously not realistic for any GM. Even on rebuilding teams, you have to stay somewhat competitive.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
I remember literally saying the same thing when Stan got Lehner, lol. And I think you liked that move at the time, but maybe I'm wrong.

I guess the difference in my thinking here is that, at least back then, they already had Crow. Fleury makes a ton but the tandem with Lankinen won't cost you 11-12 million like it did back then, and you actually have a goalie now in Lankinen that needs the best mentor available, which is Fleury by a long shot. That's why I don't mind a move like this now.

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again: even on a rebuilding team, you need at least one dependable goalie. You couldn't roll with Lanks/Subban for an entire 82 game season. I know it's easy for fans to say, "yes you could, go 0-82" but that's obviously not realistic for any GM. Even on rebuilding teams, you have to stay somewhat competitive.
So your telling me there are not any other available goalies without a 7 million cap hit that could help share the load with Lank?

Granada

Liked Posts:
So your telling me there are not any other available goalies without a 7 million cap hit that could help share the load with Lank?

No, but Fleury is the best available by a long shot. And any UFA goalie is probably going to want term.

How much is the average goalie tandem around the league these days? 7.8 million for a tandem of Fleury and Lanks isn't all bad, especially for only a year.

SkyKing

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Fleury acquisition doesn't bother me as much as the Jones thing. At least Fleury didn't cost any draft picks or young, developing players and if he decides to retire and not play, so what? The Hawks are in the same spot we were without him. Who knows.... if Fleury does decide to play, perhaps he can be valuable bait at the trade deadline if some team is desperate.

Oh wait.... never mind. Bowman is in charge.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
The Fleury acquisition doesn't bother me as much as the Jones thing. At least Fleury didn't cost any draft picks or young, developing players and if he decides to retire and not play, so what? The Hawks are in the same spot we were without him. Who knows.... if Fleury does decide to play, perhaps he can be valuable bait at the trade deadline if some team is desperate.

Oh wait.... never mind. Bowman is in charge.
Generally, I agree, it only cost us a guy I didn't know to have a shot at maybe having him play for one year. But on the other side too, you did a big solid to one of your rivals and made Vegas better with this move. If you are really making a run at it, you just gave them a big helping hand. Sure, their is tradeoff of them not having Fluery but they seem to like Lehner well enough. The only thing we can pray for is that he says to MAF, hey... we get it, you didn't want to leave and you're pissed off, but come play for us and you will have a chance to make them pay. I got a shiny new toy for out in front of you too. And we still have Kane.

This isn't the worst, but man, he's lucky the backup goalie is so cheap or it doesn't happen. I'm not going to hate this move just to pile on Bowman, I still don't like it but I'm willing ot let it at least play out some first.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He must think the Hawks are reasonably close to contending, either that or he's willing to pay big money for someone to lead Lankenin around by a leash. Either way, Bowman is a fucking idiot. At least we had that 10 year run with 3 Cups to hang our hat on....I'm guessing I'll be dead before we see another.

hawkinmontreal

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Oakland Athletics
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Duke Blue Devils
No, but Fleury is the best available by a long shot. And any UFA goalie is probably going to want term.

How much is the average goalie tandem around the league these days? 7.8 million for a tandem of Fleury and Lanks isn't all bad, especially for only a year.
I think Fleury would no doubt help Lank, my issue here is, MAF wanted nothing to do with the Hawks, wasn’t even one of the ten teams he choose to play for. MAF will pull a CC and retire, if not, can we expect the best from Fleury?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hate Stan, and love Crow, but walking away from Crow was the right move.
I doubt @Bigfoot would disagree.....I think the point he was making is that Bowman has zero foresight and no plan, that he's flying by the seat of his pants. One day he goes in one direction, the next day a different one. Either you rebuild or you don't....there's no in between. I think Crow was just an example...at least that's the way I read it.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I think Fleury would no doubt help Lank, my issue here is, MAF wanted nothing to do with the Hawks, wasn’t even one of the ten teams he choose to play for. MAF will pull a CC and retire, if not, can we expect the best from Fleury?
He'll either retire or he'll play. The hawks lose nothing if he retires, and if he doesn't at the very least they lost some cap space because even if he's not great he's still better than any backup who would be on the roster for him. I think for a goalie it's much harder to come out and not give your all because it's not like you can take a shift off. And if you get lackadaisical as a goalie you can get really hurt taking a puck to your head or something. Then even if he does do that, they pull a TAMPA and LTIR him, limp into the playoffs and then throw him out there fresh haha. Or maybe they can just cut him, in which he retires anyway because LV doesn't want him back, and he doesn't want to play anywhere else. Still only out an AHL guy.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Yeah I'm not sure, I'd like to think so. It's cliche to say, but these guys are competitors. I'd like to think he'd give it his all, no matter what team's he's on. By all accounts, the guy is like the best team mate you can ever ask for, so that's a plus.

I hate Bowman and I think it'd be hilarious if this backfired and Fleury retired, but overall, assuming Fleury does play next year, I can't say I hate this move. If Jones and Fleury for a year are the only big salaries Bowman brings in this off-season, it'll be okay in my view. If he goes and grabs shit vets like Zack Smith, etc., then we'll have a serious problem. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this off-season plays out, it's still very early. I'm trying to keep an open mind this off-season when it comes to Bowman, but of course, that can always change if he does something incredibly stupid. Neither of these moves, to me, are incredibly stupid. But again, it's still early, lol

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Least the upcoming season will be exciting!

It's obvious there was a heart to heart talk and the organization wants to keep Captain Toe's happy so that he doesn't sit out again...

Blackhawks rebuild idea does not make Jonathan Toews happy

“Bottom line is, I want to win,” Toews said on Saturday, via Lazerus. “The expectation for the other leaders on this team and myself is to come ready to training camp every year to be a playoff team. We prepare ourselves to win a Cup for our fans. I’ve never been told that we were going through a rebuild. That has never been communicated to me, for that matter. A lot of this comes as a shock because it’s a completely different direction than we expected.”
Well, they can always make up some new science medical ailment if getting an elite defenseman and vezina winning goalie isn’t enough.

Poutingmus vaginafaceus ?

Did anybody else hear that the Hawks got rid of that trash Bustvist yet?

Creme

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Fleury retires, the Hawks lose nothing. But getting him to retire does a huge favor for Vegas. He has kids and wants to stay there and wouldn't retire if not traded.
Stan should have got some kind of return for taking on that salary and giving them a good shot at Eichel.