Band Aid was blow torched off

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Right decision? Sure probably by Jed. Do I think the Ricketts wanted to do all of this because the core wasn't good? Nope. I think the $$$$ Was way more of a factor which annoys me.
This core simply wasn't good enough to compete for the WS. They haven't been for quite some time.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Again. I get it from a baseball perspective. I also don't think the Ricketts are good people and I'm tired of the "broke" schtick.

You can understand it from a baseball perspective and still think the Ricketts don't have the best interests. Both can be true.
I mean i don't think they are good people either but I also think the "broke" schtick is complete media bullshit. Since 2016 the cubs opening day pay roll has been $171.6 mil, $172.2 mil, $182.4 mil, $203 mil, and last year would have been $216 mil but obviously the covid shortened season. The cubs have spent a lot of fucking money and haven't gotten results.

Like I'm sorry but people are being stupid if they don't understand why the cubs cut costs. Go look at the Giants acquiring Longoria and Matt Moore among other players trying to grasp at sand to see why you don't keep chasing that way. It's the old idiom of throwing good money after bad.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I mean i don't think they are good people either but I also think the "broke" schtick is complete media bullshit. Since 2016 the cubs opening day pay roll has been $171.6 mil, $172.2 mil, $182.4 mil, $203 mil, and last year would have been $216 mil but obviously the covid shortened season. The cubs have spent a lot of fucking money and haven't gotten results.

Like I'm sorry but people are being stupid if they don't understand why the cubs cut costs. Go look at the Giants acquiring Longoria and Matt Moore among other players trying to grasp at sand to see why you don't keep chasing that way. It's the old idiom of throwing good money after bad.

Media bullshit. They literally said there's no money, cancelled a CubsCon panel. They aren't good people. No one made money in COVID shortened season. Sorry, I'm not pro owner when they dont open the books.

Guess we will have to disagree.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Stop talking rationally when people are emotional!!

Not even that. Been saying it for 3 years now when they started the "No money" thing while buying up all of Wrigley, raising ticket prices.

Again. I understand why it needed to happen in terms of a baseball aspect. I'm not mad or emotional about it. I jsut don't think the Ricketts are in it for that. That's all.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Media bullshit. They literally said there's no money, cancelled a CubsCon panel. They aren't good people. No one made money in COVID shortened season. Sorry, I'm not pro owner when they dont open the books.

Guess we will have to disagree.
Think this is just arguing semantics. My point here would be the media spins the cubs not wanting to put more money into a sunk cost as them being cheap. That's not being cheap. Frankly it's smart business. Being cheap would be the cubs spending $100 mil for 4-5 years straight.

The point is that just spending money to spend it is not a solution. Tampa and Oakland largely compete every year on fractions of what the cubs spend because they choose to spend their money wisely. The well run organizations make smart mid-tier FA signings and develop players well and when the right trade is available they use their organizational depth to acquire difference making players. I mean that was literally the cardinals bread and butter through the early 2000s. They didn't draft Carpenter, Mcgwire, Edmonds and Rolen but they developed well and had the pieces to go get them.

The current cubs prior to the Darvish trade weren't in any kind of position to do that. They largely went all in trying to win in 2016 and the next couple years after and paid the price when it didn't happen. At that point you call a spade a spade and move on.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
So it's over. No Baez, Rizzo or Bryant. No Lester, Schwarber or Fowler. No Epstein and no Maddon.

Cubs won a title. And all that is left is the tab for the friendly confines new digs.

Get ready for cheap Cubs tix. This team has just been bombed back into the dark ages.

I predict a decade plus of bottom dwelling in the division.

Always remember 2016.

Is anyone else thinking of jumping ship to the hot White Sox? Please don't anyone self harm.

Farewell Cubs
Totally. ******** the cubs. I'm a Sox fan from now on 4 lyfe.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Think this is just arguing semantics. My point here would be the media spins the cubs not wanting to put more money into a sunk cost as them being cheap. That's not being cheap. Frankly it's smart business. Being cheap would be the cubs spending $100 mil for 4-5 years straight.

The point is that just spending money to spend it is not a solution. Tampa and Oakland largely compete every year on fractions of what the cubs spend because they choose to spend their money wisely. The well run organizations make smart mid-tier FA signings and develop players well and when the right trade is available they use their organizational depth to acquire difference making players. I mean that was literally the cardinals bread and butter through the early 2000s. They didn't draft Carpenter, Mcgwire, Edmonds and Rolen but they developed well and had the pieces to go get them.

The current cubs prior to the Darvish trade weren't in any kind of position to do that. They largely went all in trying to win in 2016 and the next couple years after and paid the price when it didn't happen. At that point you call a spade a spade and move on.

Honest question. What should the payroll be for the Cubs every year?

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Honest question. What should the payroll be for the Cubs every year?
If not competing and letting the farm develop, 100-125 M. If they are think they could contend within the next season, 150-160 M. Think they have a title contender, 185-10% above CBT.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
Been a diehard Sox fan since 10/26/2005 and i'll tell you what, don't want any miserable Cubs fans getting on the Sox bandwagon.
Speaking of bandwagons, who were you rooting for before10/26/2005?

holyfriggincow

Liked Posts:
Been a diehard Sox fan since 10/26/2005 and i'll tell you what, don't want any miserable Cubs fans getting on the Sox bandwagon.
LOL....is that you in that sad pic Mayweather Jr.? You LOOK like a WHite (trash) Sox fan...lofl

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
LOL....is that you in that sad pic Mayweather Jr.? You LOOK like a WHite (trash) Sox fan...lofl
Yeah, get a good look because that’s what peak physical condition looks like. Show a pic of yourself, if you got the balls. Highly doubt you do. Probably another fat north side loser! Enjoy another 100+ years of irrelevance! Lofl

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Yeah, get a good look because that’s what peak physical condition looks like. Show a pic of yourself, if you got the balls. Highly doubt you do. Probably another fat north side loser! Enjoy another 100+ years of irrelevance! Lofl
Ortega hit 3 bombs today. Cubs are back!

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
The Cubs were over the luxury tax in 2016, 2019, and 2020. The Dodgers and Yankees have been over the tax 4 times just for reference.

The idea that the Ricketts are cheap is just bad media narrative.

dchawks59

Liked Posts:
regret is @msadows decision to order a 5th white claw at training camp.

The Cubs went from stank to dank and I'll always remember what Epstein did for the team.

I don't don't feel good about this though. It's like the band breaking up and all that's left is the Spin Doctors.
Epstein did bring a WS home for the cubs; unfortunately at the expense of major league talent he traded away for rental players. They did make it to playoffs but did the management team really do what they needed to get the pitching needed, to improve the bullpen or add to bench strength? Did the players after the WS win get complacent or maybe spend a year or two enjoying the fact they beat a 100+ year jinx? Bottom line is this Cubs team was fun to watch, they did win a WS but they did not capitalize by staying hungry enough; had a chance in 2017 but lost in 5 to LA; 2018 lost WC to Colorado, 2019 missed playoffs; 2020 barely won division (first since 2017) and beaten by Miami in WC; 2021 likely 4th place finish. Despite winning in 2016 one might suggest this team underperformed following the WS win for the past 5 years. Whose fault is that? players, manager(s), management? ownership( lots of people would point to Ricketts) however, this one is on players and management.

holyfriggincow

Liked Posts:
PEAK physical condition? You are old and bald bro.....nice try White (TRASH) Sox clown