Nagy walking on knife's edge by sticking with Dalton, not extending his job security, Hoge and Jahns argue.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Interesting moment in the latest Hoge and Jahns podcast, where they said they both believe that fans and analysts have it backwards on Matt Nagy's job security.

People have this idea in their heads that the longer Nagy holds off on starting Fields, the better his job security, that Nagy has a new clock that begins when Justin Fields first gets on the field to start. For example, the thinking goes, If Fields were to start in Week 9, show promise, and then the season ends, management would automatically bring Nagy back to see what he can do with Fields.

This is wrong thinking, though, Hoge and Jahns argue. The longer Nagy holds off on starting Fields, the more he exposes that his offense is not getting appreciably better. It continues to suck. And the more he shows management that his judgment is off, since it's becoming apparent to seemingly everyone that Fields is ready and should start sooner rather than later.

I can't say I disagree with their overarching logic. I've always thought the idea that Nagy gets a new clock when Fields starts is kind of bullshit. But there is a huge caveat: We're not dealing with typical NFL management. We're not dealing with typical NFL ownership. This is the Bears. This is the McCaskeys. This is Ryan Pace.

I personally don't believe there's hardly anything Nagy or Pace could do this year to put their jobs in true jeopardy, aside from going winless or not starting Fields at all the whole year. But hey, I could be wrong. I like the idea that Nagy can't just skate on Fields' potential for his own job security. I'm just not sure it's true.

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I think ownership is sensitive to national embarrassments and the Bears tend to have a lot of them. If the Bears get punked by the Packers, again, like they always do, ownership will take notice. And at that point I don't think Nagy's job will be safe. they'll need a scapegoat and he's first in line

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Interesting moment in the latest Hoge and Jahns podcast, where they said they both believe that fans and analysts have it backwards on Matt Nagy's job security.

People have this idea in their heads that the longer Nagy holds off on starting Fields, the better his job security, that Nagy has a new clock that begins when Justin Fields first gets on the field to start. For example, the thinking goes, If Fields were to start in Week 9, show promise, and then the season ends, management would automatically bring Nagy back to see what he can do with Fields.

This is wrong thinking, though, Hoge and Jahns argue. The longer Nagy holds off on starting Fields, the more he exposes that his offense is not getting appreciably better. It continues to suck. And the more he shows management that his judgment is off, since it's becoming apparent to seemingly everyone that Fields is ready and should start sooner rather than later.

I can't say I disagree with their overarching logic. I've always thought the idea that Nagy gets a new clock when Fields starts is kind of bullshit. But there is a huge caveat: We're not dealing with typical NFL management. We're not dealing with typical NFL ownership. This is the Bears. This is the McCaskeys. This is Ryan Pace.

I personally don't believe there's hardly anything Nagy or Pace could do this year to put their jobs in true jeopardy, aside from going winless or not starting Fields at all the whole year. But hey, I could be wrong. I like the idea that Nagy can't just skate on Fields' potential for his own job security. I'm just not sure it's true.
ownership basically told us early this year.....yeah we should can them but they're a good hang

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, and I am stupid enough to be flying to Chicago for a football game this weekend and shockingly nobody cares about anything but a quarterback controversy that has been going on for the last 40 years. Same team, different names, same shit, same drama. Had it with this shit.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Nagy is going to get fired regardless of the QB.

And we have a pinned thread for thread for this topic now.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy is fucked. He has shown with, what.. 4 quarterbacks (?) I lost count that his offense stinks. I think he will be gone mid season if this continues and Lazor will step in as interim. My #calledit.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I just find it odd to try and figure out how in Nagy's mind if your career is hanging in the balance, why you roll with Dalton versus Fields. I still think the only way I can rationalize that is if Nagy knows something we all don't know about his job security beyond this year that we don't know and he feels secure.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I think ownership is sensitive to national embarrassments and the Bears tend to have a lot of them. If the Bears get punked by the Packers, again, like they always do, ownership will take notice. And at that point I don't think Nagy's job will be safe. they'll need a scapegoat and he's first in line
He has already thrown so many coordinators and players under the bus. There is no one left.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Yeah, and I am stupid enough to be flying to Chicago for a football game this weekend and shockingly nobody cares about anything but a quarterback controversy that has been going on for the last 40 years. Same team, different names, same shit, same drama. Had it with this shit.
In a few years, you will be able to go to Arlington Heights to watch the same shit show.

A shorter commute.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We're not dealing with typical NFL management. We're not dealing with typical NFL ownership. This is the Bears. This is the McCaskeys. This is Ryan Pace.
It all comes down to this. The past off-season has really changed my thinking on how this team would handle things. It's no longer based on what is logical or what most other franchises would do. Throw it all out of the window. This team used a 6 game losing streak as a positive. Anything is possible.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think if Nagy flushes the season on this idiotic Dalton plan and Fields comes out and looks like he would have better from snap 1... Pace may drive the bus over Nagy to appease ownership.

The roster is flawed, we can all see it, that does not excuse gross mismanagement of it.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Its not the only factor in play, but Bears ownership 100% has a mentality of "we dont actually know what we're doing so we have very little tolerance for team disruptions that bring attention to that fact".

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I can see Nagy getting fired at the end of the year - and pace - they can just opt to not to renew him.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
I got flights, hotel and tickets to the game with a VIP tailgate for the Detroit game and think to myself i must be out of my mind with this shit team. Fields iswho i want to see and im afraid its going to be dalton

greg23

Liked Posts:
We're 3 days from the Andy Dalton revenge game!!!

The following morning contract extensions are signed!

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
I have a feeling that when the time comes to bench Dalton, there will be some sort of agreement with Nagy that instead of firing him, he will have to 100% hand over play calling to Lazor. None of this part time work BS like we saw last season.

If they see Lazor is successful with leading the offense and Fields at QB, they just might decide to let Nagy go. But I dont think they drop Nagy mid season and hand it over to Lazor just like that. That's waaaaaaaaay to much pressure for Lazor at this point to be in charge of the entire team with no prep time.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Everyone except for the Bears see how poorly this whole situation is being managed. I hope someone has enough common sense to see that. Not holding out much hope, though! ?