QB School: Fields vs Bengals

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:

Hot takes:
  • Nagy's "scheme" still sucks.
  • Fields needs to stay on the field, continue to be the starter, and develop.
    • Forcing Fields to sit and watch Dalton go .500 isn't some cheat code for him to throw 50 TDs next year like Mahomes did in his 2nd year.
    • All you're doing is delaying the inevitable and wasting everyone's time.
      • He's going to need to make mistakes and grow either way so you might as well start the process now so he's further along in his development next year instead of once again starting from scratch.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's time. If Mooney lays out, he doesn't touch that ball with the arc it had.

Last edited:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I hate to see anyone get injured, but I'd be lying if I said that I'm not happy that Dalton's situation is likely going to force Nagy to do the right thing.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I hate to see anyone get injured, but I'd be lying if I said that I'm not happy that Dalton's situation is likely going to force Nagy to do the right thing.

When I saw dalton get hurt I was sad cause he was playing well but knew it would be the best thing for this franchise long term.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Maybe having him sit against the Rams was the right thing to do. But now that he's played, they should just keep him there.

The only thing he can learn by sitting now, is just how to throw check downs.

And if we want to make the Mahomes comparison...Alex Smith was a far better QB to sit and watch. He actually was leading teams to the playoffs when they draft Pat.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
When I saw dalton get hurt I was sad cause he was playing well but knew it would be the best thing for this franchise long term.
Well? Somebody has to define well for me. A majority of his yards all came through penalties by the bengals

msadows

Liked Posts:
Maybe having him sit against the Rams was the right thing to do. But now that he's played, they should just keep him there.

The only thing he can learn by sitting now, is just how to throw check downs.

And if we want to make the Mahomes comparison...Alex Smith was a far better QB to sit and watch. He actually was leading teams to the playoffs when they draft Pat.

Yup.

That play he threw an INT on last week is something he can't learn from watching.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Questions for the fan who were in the “Let Fields sit and learn from the sidelines” group…..How much did Fields learn from the 1.5 games he was on the sideline? If Dalton misses time, do you guys feel he should remain the starter when he returns?

msadows

Liked Posts:
Questions for the fan who were in the “Let Fields sit and learn from the sidelines” group…..How much did Fields learn from the 1.5 games he was on the sideline? If Dalton misses time, do you guys feel he should remain the starter when he returns?

Dalton can have fun on his surface tablet on the bench.

The people who want fields to sit, especially now, are football stupid.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah, same. I'd obviously much rather have a healthy Dalton backing up Fields than Foles but considering how stubborn Nagy is I'll take it. Dickhead likely would have made us wait until the team out of playoff contention before he made the switch to Fields...

That said, I wish Pace/Teddy/Virginia/anyone in Halas Hall would force Nagy to give up the offense and focus on being just a HC. I'm not sure how much more obvious it could be that the biggest issue holding this team back is Nagy's limp dick offense. And perhaps if his head wasn't buried in his play-sheet all game he'd wouldn't be such a liability on the sideline and wouldn't need to re-watch the game tape to see wtf is going on when his team gives up big plays or stupid penalties.

I'd wager Lazor or literally anyone else could get 27ppg from this same group of players simply by virtue of the change in play calling alone. Guarantee you he'd at least have the common sense to make David Montgomery the focal point of the offense and build a play action game off giving him 25+ touches a game.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Dalton can have fun on his surface tablet on the bench.

The people who want fields to sit, especially now, are football stupid.
I agree with you. Just really curious what those fans think with the current situation. Many fans on here thought Fields would learn A LOT being on the sidelines. Im curious what he learned and how those 1.5 games on the sideline benefited him.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I agree with you. Just really curious what those fans think with the current situation. Many fans on here thought Fields would learn A LOT being on the sidelines. Im curious what he learned and how those 1.5 games on the sideline benefited him.

Those are mostly the football stupid posters. We all know who they are.

No one smart wanted fields to sit besides david carr and thats only because he might have CTE from playing behind the worst oline in nfl history.

I just hope he goes out there and puts on a good performance next week so we can shut up the idiots

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is silly. And if he did well you'd ask how did only 1 game sitting help him if he's already this good? The gyrations posters go through here is astonishing.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
This is silly. And if he did well you'd ask how did only 1 game sitting help him if he's already this good? The gyrations posters go through here is astonishing.
This has nothing with Fields playing good or bad. It has everything to do with Fields playing so he can develop now. So whether if it were 1.5 games sitting or 4 games (which people were predicting), what did/would Fields learn on the sideline for that short of a period?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This has nothing with Fields playing good or bad. It has everything to do with Fields playing so he can develop now. So whether if it were 1.5 games sitting or 4 games (which people were predicting), what did/would Fields learn on the sideline for that short of a period?
I can honestly tell you that no one here knows.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
The whole "learn from watching" narrative literally makes me want to puke.

Anyone that's ever learned a trade or skill knows the best way you learn something is by ACTUALLY DOING IT and putting in the reps. I honestly can't think of one profession, trade, or skill where this logic actually applies.

Take two developers, one that's spent a year just watching his co-workers code and another that spent the year actually coding himself and I guarantee you the guy that spent the year putting in the reps writing code, making mistakes, and figuring out how to debug and fix his mistakes is the better developer going into year two.